Followers

Thursday, January 14, 2016

Easter

No I am not rushing the seasons but if you plan to have a craft ready for Easter, you should be working on it now. Easter is in March this year so I am busy working on a piece I hope to turn into a cushion.

Here is the pattern. While this one is worked on ecru, I am using an aqua blue piece of linen that I had in my stash. Using the blue background has required that I change some of the DMC colors. But being me, I do not necessarily stick to the cross stitch charts but change things up regularly.

In Cross Stitch you work from the middle of the piece outward so I am finishing up the end of Easter here.  Centering a chart is rather like centering your page in typing, for those of you who took typing in high school.

I am not sure what I am going to work on when I finish this piece as I have done so much cross stitch lately. I guess I will head to The Cross Stitch Peddler and see what is new in the cross stitch world.

I was talking with my 85 year old mother the other day and she was working on a pair of pillowcases. She confided in me that it was driving her crazy as it was stamped cross stitch and not the usual embroidery that she loves doing. I told her to put it up and get out something that made her happy. In fact I told her that I would bring it home with me and work on it as I like cross stitch.  Life is too short to spend your leisure time doing things that aggravate you!  I have been known to just toss a piece of cross stitch that has turned out to be a disappointment.  This view of life goes along with my reading rule. Once I turned 50 I decided that if the book did not pull me in in the first 50 pages, toss it and find another one.  Time is precious!!

9 comments:

Sandy said...

It is looking great. I think you are on to something about not liking it and moving on. Time is so precious. We might as well make the most of it.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I am the same way about sewing projects AND books! There are too many wonderful books to waste my time on mediocre books. I have a book review ready for tomorrow. I gave it my highest rating...which is a big deal to me! Hugs!

Arlene Grimm said...

Sandy, I am learning a little bit as I get older.lol Diane, I look forward to your book review. After reading The Dovekeepers I have tossed two books that were not read worthy. I need a good book.

Mrs.T said...

Very pretty, Arlene! I change things up with cross-stitch projects, too. One time with one of my Cross Country charts I turned a cat into a teapot! I will very frequently use a larger count of evenweave than is specified, too.

And I am with you on both projects and books. I have reached the stage in life where I will throw or give them away if they are not enjoyable. I forget -- have you ever read Jamie Langston Turner's books? They are set in the South -- mostly in SC -- and I must say she is the best Christian fiction writer I know of.

Arlene Grimm said...

Oh I love J L Turner's books Mrs T. My favorite is Some Wildflower in My Heart. I agree...she is a superb writer. Life is too short to be filling it up with things that do not edify!

Gina said...

Arlene, such a gorgeous Easter cross stitch pattern! I'm glad that you suggested to your mom to work on something she loves. So true!

Mrs.T said...

I am re-reading that very book right now, Arlene! I'm not sure I can choose a favorite, but I do like this one a great deal. And you are right about life being too short to fill it with things that do not edify. Very well put!

Terri D said...

I will look forward to seeing your finished project! Good advice for your mom!

Arlene Grimm said...

Terri, I find I have less patience these days for things! lol...If it is not pleasing, I will find something that makes me happy.