Followers

Thursday, January 21, 2016

Remembering Perk

My daddy's best friend, Perk, died last week.  Perk's real name was Floyd but when he was a little boy, he told his mama that he was a cowboy and his name was Perk. And Perk loved horses and wagons and mules so I guess he was a cowboy at heart. He was a member of the Murray County Saddle Club and participated in many of their events. Every summer the Saddle Club hosts a Wagon Train. After a week of horse shows, street dances etc, people from everywhere get ready for the Wagon Train on Saturday. Some ride horses while others load their families up in wagons and over the mountain they go to Ellijay, Georgia.  It is quite the sight.

When my children were little, Daddy would ask Perk to bring his wagon over to take the grands on a ride. And off they went down the road. I have several photos of my children riding with Perk and Daddy. I remember asking them how they liked riding in the wagon and one replied, "it sure is bumpy!"

As death drew near, Perk had one request. He wanted his mules to carry him  on his final journery to the cemetery.  And the people in our county made that happen.


A view from Mount Carmel Church Road.  Thanks to my sister, Kristi, for these photos.


I am sure other motorists were wondering what was going on.


Perk loved his mules and they were faithful friends to him to the end.


They made it to the cemetery. This picture brings tears to my eyes just remembering what a good friend Perk was to our family. I know he and Daddy had a happy reunion. What a blessed hope to know that this world is not our home.

It is good to know that there are still people in this world who care about a dying man's wish and honoring it.

10 comments:

Sandy said...

Oh my, what a sweet story. I am in tears.

Debby said...

So touching. Such a beautiful way to honor him. Hugs

Terri D said...

God bless the people in your county who made sure this could happen. I have tears in my eyes from the photos. I'm sure Perk and your dad were watching, with joy in their souls! Thanks so much for sharing this touching story with us.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thank you for your sweet comments. I just had to share this sweet gesture to a man who deserved it!!

Gina said...

Arlene, God bless everyone that made Perk's last wishes come true. God bless those mules who will surely miss him. Such a sweet sweet story. Thank you for sharing it!

Arlene Grimm said...

Gina, he was a special man, like a second father to us girls.

Mari said...

This is so sweet and touching. What a memorable funeral procession.

doodles n daydreams said...

A wonderful tribute to someone who obviously meant a lot to a lot of people.

Diana

Arlene Grimm said...

Thank you for the comments Mari and Diana...I am proud of the people who went out of their way to make a dying man's wish come true. We do not see that very often in this day and age.

Jenny Bonds said...

Beautiful