Followers

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Roll Tide and a Christmas Wreath

Well that is quite the title for a blog post...but we are celebrating here in Alabama this morning!


It was a nail biter but Alabama defeated Clemson. I am going to have to get out and purchase a championship tee shirt for number one son, Ben.  And I am glad to do it.

Now on to the Christmas wreath I re purposed for my BFF, Susan. First I will say, I am not a professional but I enjoy being creative and helping out my friends.  Susan had used the previous wreath for quite a few years and it was still looking pretty good but Susan was ready for a change. She is my Purple Friend....whenever I see anything purple, I think of Susan. The front door of her townhouse is a lovely aubergine.   But the door has a lot of glass so a purple wreath does not disappear into the purple door.


Here is the blue wreath. It took quite a while to get all the bling off the greenery. I had wired some and I had also glue gunned some things. It is easy to take a pair of scissors to a wreath and cut out the left over glue. You can also use wire cutters to trim the wreath. As Susan's wreath had been well used, I did have to even up some spots.


Here is a close up of some of the wired ornaments. I must apologize for the picture quality as my craft room has NO natural light and taking photographs in there is tricky.


Here is the finished purple wreath. I am going to show some close ups so you can see what I used.


Susan had been collecting purple ornaments for over a year so I had lots to work with. In fact we had enought leftovers to do another wreath.


I wired these together and glued the small purple ornament on top. My favorite ornaments were the purple blingy ornaments on clear glass. They are filled with feathers. So pretty when you see them in person.


This pretty purple poinsettia was perfect for the botton of the wreath along with some silver eucalyptus picks.


The ribbon and all the bling at the top that is hard to see in the big photo.  We are going to look for a few lime green pieces to tuck into the wreath come October when Hobby Lobby begins to put out their Christmas decorations. It need s a little pop of color for contrast.

Here are some things I have learned....

Scale is important in working with wreaths. The big purple poinsettia was great for this bigger wreath. Wiring ornaments together will always make an impact.

Don't be afraid to shape artificial wreaths. Take a wire cutter and snip off those limbs that are bothering you!

Know when to stop. Believe me, when Susan gave me a big shopping bag full of items, I wanted to use every one!!lol

Take pictures of your project along the way and look at it. That really helps you to see where you need to add or take away.

I find that using three colors is a good way to go. We used purple and silver but plan to add the lime green. I think it will look great when we get it totally finished.

So that is my unprofessional advice!  Try your hand at making your own wreath. You will save some money and learn a new skill.

15 comments:

Sandy said...

Congratulations on your football victory. I must admit I went to bed before it ended:)
The wreath is simply splendid. I am needing to redo my front window wreaths. I said I was going to do it now before I let it slip past me, but I have been so busy. I hope I will get it done before January ends, but the days are flying.

Arlene Grimm said...

Susan knew January was the time to do this wreath and she was right. We will add the lime green in the fall however. I was happy with the win because Ben is such a fan. He might even have worn his Bama Class ring today that Mama made him get.lol.

Tori Leslie said...

Congrats on the big win. I've seen celebrating all over the web. Love the wreath! You are very talented!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Tori. I need to work on one for my own front door.

Mrs.T said...

Beautiful work, Arlene! Although I must admit I am partial to the blue wreath, this purple one is very pretty and should be really striking when the lime green is added.

Terri D said...

I'm not a big football fan. I've said several times that when Joe is happy, I'm happy. I understand football and can watch a game and know what's going on, but I'm not really partial to a team. I have to admit that Joe was hoping for a Clemson win. :(

Your wreath looks like a professional made it, so don't be so hard on yourself. It is beautifully done and I can just imagine how pretty the pops of lime green will be! Thanks for sharing all the tips and showing us your lovely creation!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Mrs T...personally I am a red and green girl at Christmas. I love RED any time of the year really!!Terri, you are so sweet. Tell Joe I forgive him for pulling for Clemson.lol....At Georgia Tech they have a cheer that says Clemson Clemson MOO MOO MOO...we're going to beat the ..well you get the idea.:) Although Ga Tech cannot really rag on anyone because it is seldom that they win. But we love the Jackets anyway.

Mari said...

Happy for your football win!
The wreath turned out really nice - good job!

Tif @ Bright on a Budget said...

UK never does well in football, so I've had to be content with basketball (I was actually there for our alst championship in 2012!). I love this wreath! You did a great job repurposing it!!!! It would also look cute with the bow turned to the side (think rotate 90 degrees to the right). You have an eye for it!!!

Tif
www.brightonabudget.com

Linda said...

This is just beautiful!!! I love it and hope to repurpose a few wreaths when I get home!! You did a great job and I think you photographed it really well!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Mari...Alabama is a big football state if you have not figured that out.lol Tif we are really Ga Tech fans as we are from Georgia but like you, we do not get too excited about GT football. However hubs is making noises about buying season tickets when we get our little house done. Linda, thanks! I just read an article in House Beautiful about ReUse, RePurpose and ReVamp. When Marvin retires I have a feeling I will be doing a lot of that!!

Gina said...

Arlene, congrats on your football win. :-)

I absolutely love the purple wreath. I love the blue too but the purple is my favorite. Great job!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Gina. As I said before I am red and green all the way at Christmas! Susan is more daring than I am!!:)

Susan Graben said...

Thanks for the photo of the old blue wreath; I never thought to make one! So pleased I have such a talented and generous friend who is so crafty. My DIY projects usually leave something to be desired. Youa gave an old wreath (that thing is at least 20 years old!!) new life!

Arlene Grimm said...

I had not idea that it was that old Susan. It still looks like a teenager.lol. Thanks for trusting me with it.