Followers

Thursday, January 14, 2016

They're BACK

I am posting late tonight because I am meeting my friend, Diane, very early in the morning for breakfast before she heads off to her job.  ( This is the Diane I went to Cullman with at Christmas.) She is such a dear friend and because she works full time we have to take the time to visit when we can. Guess where we are going? Don't hate me....Cracker Barrel. Decatur is one of those fortunate towns that has a Cracker Barrel in town as opposed to the Interstate Exit locations. We will be right by that roaring fire!

Now back to my title....have you seen the new Pantone colors of the year? Rose Quartz and Serenity. Well ladies, it is the pink and blue of the 1980s. And if you want proof, gaze on this....


I have had this old sampler in my closet for years. I could not toss it out even though the colors were dated. Well, just hold on to things as they come back around. Gee I wish I had my crocheted poncho from the 70s because it would fit right in today!! Although there is a little more of me for that poncho to cover these days. As I look at this sampler,  I have to say that cross stitch patterns have come a long way since the 80s as well. Now they are much more intricate and less country looking!!When I did this sampler there were not many wedding samplers to choose from. And Marvin teases me that he has not seen any angels around our house. Maybe he needs to look harder!


In the new issue of House Beautiful there is an article titled, Reuse, Revamp and Repurpose.  So I have reused my sampler. It is now on an easel on the dresser in my bedroom.  My room is Wedgewood Gray by Benjamin Moore but it is really a pretty watercolor blue.  So I think the pink and blue sampler will work there quite nicely.

I am trying to revamp a few things around my house this January so hopefully I will have some projects to share with you in this New Year.

12 comments:

Fairhope Supply Co. said...

I always order the hashbrown casserole at Cracker Barrel. Decadent, but oh so good!

I just want to know how in the world Pantone can sit around and decide what we are supposed to like or throw out. Very interesting and strange if you ask me, but your sampler is great no matter what year it is!

Have fun with your friend!

Mari said...

That's a pretty sampler! I did quite a few of those in the 80's too. I've also noticed things coming back from that time.

Arlene Grimm said...

I like blue and pink as much as the next girl but as someone who remembers pink living rooms from 1977, I will pass.lol. Leslie Anne, I am a big CB pancake girl! I do not know what they do to theirs but they are so yummy. Mari, the samplers I did back then are are simple compared to the patterns out there now. I have to wonder if candlewicking will make a return as well. Seems it was THE craft back in the late 70s early 80s.

Terri D said...

Those photos of you two are great and your grouping with the sampler is perfect! My mom did one for Joe and me that hangs on the wall in our bedroom. It is also those pinks and blues, but from the 80s. Can't wait to see the results from your other projects!!

Sandy said...

Love the sampler. It looks great, and it is fun to pull things back out like that. I am saying no to the Pantene colors in my house other than something like you have done. I spent 3 summers pulling down busy wallpaper in those two colors as well as drapes with swags in those two shades. No for me!!!

Arlene Grimm said...

Terri, you are always so kind in your comments. I appreciate that as I am working with my grands on emphasizing Kindness this year!! Sandy, my former home also had all the 80s colors and it took me a while to update. As The Preacher says in Ecclesiastes, There is nothing new under the sun!!

Mrs.T said...

It is interesting how colors come around. If one waits long enough it seems like everything comes back in style. Your sampler is beautiful. I still love the Cross Country designs (Jeremiah Junction) and have saved many of the magazines as there are many Scripture designs I would still love to stitch.

Your sampler does look perfect with the wall color in your room and also with the framed photos -- which are wonderful. I detest having my picture taken, but I find I mind it less when my hubby is in the picture too. Those of the two of you are really nice.

Mrs.T said...

Oh, and I meant to add that it's my belief (based only on the taste and appearance) that Cracker Barrel cooks their pancakes in butter on the grill. And I agree with you -- best pancakes I've ever tasted! That said, when we eat breakfast at Cracker Barrel I will often choose the Sunrise Sampler so I have a taste of many delicious foods.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Mrs T...I usually hate having my picture taken as well but I decided that I wanted my children and grandchildren to have a few to remember me by!lol I have lots of my old patterns as well and every now and then I take them out and stitch something from them. It is hard for me to toss them after I am finished.

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Arlene I hope you had fun today with your friend. The cross stitch picture is so nice! Have a nice weekend.
Julie

Gina said...

Arlene, were the colors called mauve and slate blue? I vaguely remember that. And I do love those colors. I'm tickled they are in style again!

Arlene Grimm said...

Yes Gina...mauve more than soft pink but pink none the less. One of my friends had a pink living room and I ADORED it. I was really more into the red and hunter green of the late 80s early 90s....I had a hunter green bedroom that I just loved.