Followers

Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Good Reads

I have been a member of the Good Reads site online for several years now. I find it is an organized  way to keep up with the books I have read as well as finding books for my To Be Read Shelf!  I have become friends with other readers who like the same types of books that I enjoy and I have learned to trust their online reviews. One person who I have interacted with a lot online is Jeanette from IL.

If Jeanette says a book is a stinker, I do not even waste my time with it.  As she lives in the cold Chicago area, she and her husband decided to plan a trip south this winter. I recommended Gulf Shores, Alabama as a nice place to visit and even gave her the name of the sweet lady who owns the condo we rent down there in September.  Everything worked out for a trip south that included Franklin, Tennessee and Huntsville, Alabama.  And since Jeanette and Ken were in Huntsville, we made plans to have lunch here in Decatur at Big Bob Gibson's. Frommer Travel Guide recently named Big Bob's as one of the ten places in America where you should have a meal.  So last Thursday we met up here in my little town. They were on their way to the beach so everything worked out perfectly.


Here we are...we had the best time visiting. It was as though we had always known each other.  Jeanette was just as lovely in person as she is online!!  She and Ken brought me a box of delicious chocolate covered dried cherries.  I sure hated to say goodbye at the end of our visit.

One of my goals in the new year was to meet some of my online friends and I am off to a good start with Jeanette.

Today is Ash Wednesday and I started my day off with a devotion from Bishop Robert Barron at Word on Fire. He reminded me that my life is not about me but about God and God's purposes for my life. Lent is like a journey into the desert where we are stripped of worldly attachments so that the fundamental things of life appear. Wow, a challenging way to start the journey that is Lent.  In addition to giving up sweets for Lent, I will be looking for opportunities to bless others through giving and I will try to spend more time in prayer.   I know I am very attached to my worldly comforts, much more than I should be! I need to work on that.

For those of you who have been praying for Ben and Katy as they are in the process of selling their town home here in Decatur I have an update.  They passed the inspection with only a few things that need to be repaired and next comes the termite inspection on the 18th.  I am so thankful for my blog friends who are praying for my family. It means so much to me.

12 comments:

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Wow Arlene that is just great and exciting to have met in person your book friend! It sounds like you had a nice time together!

Arlene Grimm said...

It really proved to me that my online friends are really friends even if we never ever meet them!! There is a bond for sure.

Heather said...

Sounds like a great visit!

Arlene Grimm said...

Oh it was and she is having a blast at the beach. So glad my recommendation worked out for her!!

Debby said...

So you live in Huntsville. My brother does as well. They now live in a condo in the area. I have been to Huntsville but not the Gulf Shores.
Good that you can meet up with friends.

Mrs.T said...

So happy that you and Jeanette could meet, Arlene, and that it was so much fun for you both!

I am thankful to get the update on the sale of Ben and Katy's town house there in Decatur, as I have been praying about that. I have often thought that one reason God has given me some praying blog friends is so that we can be prayer warriors for one another. Thanks so much for the update!

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

How fun to meet a far-away computer friend! Your book club sounds fun.

Arlene Grimm said...

Debby we live in a "suburb" of Huntsville.lol...about thirty min southwest of Hsv. My husband works in Hsv for the defense industry. Mrs T, one day I want to meet you and hug your neck and thank your for all the prayers you have prayed for my family!! Leslie Anne, it was so nice to meet a new "old" friend. The internet has blessed me with friendships.

Terri D said...

Arlene, I just love meeting on-line friends and have never been disappointed. It always feels like we have known each other forever...and we really have. Thanks for sharing!

Arlene Grimm said...

Terri, I would love to meet each and every one of you sweet ladies who read my blog. I am sure one hour would not be long enough to visit!!

Linda said...

What a blessing to meet a sister blogger!!
I'm like you - life stripped of all worldly attachments?
That gives one pause!

Arlene Grimm said...

Linda I gave up sweets for Lent because I have such a sweet tooth that I indulge regularly! I want to give this small sacrifice as a gesture of devotion to the ONE who gave his all for me.