Followers

Tuesday, February 23, 2016

No Sew Pillow

I had big plans for sewing up a pillow for Easter. My friend, Deborah, was graciously allowing me to use her sewing machine but then I had another idea. When I attended a Christmas Craft Fair, I saw a table full of Seasonal Toppers.  This was a great idea, you just tie the topper to a pillow form you may already own.  Since I like to cross stitch seasonal things I thought this might be a way to use some of my cross stitch without framing it.  I decided to give it a try with my Easter piece.


First buy your supplies.


I found this pillow at Tuesday Morning for $10. It unzips so you really have a pillow with a form inside.


I just flipped it over to use this side! When the pillow is in the chair no one will see the reverse side.


I purchased some fusible interfacing. The linen is very thin so ironing the interfacing to the back of my cross stitch piece gives it some strength and it hides all the threads too!! I found this heat and bond...similar to witch stitchery but a wider width.  And last some pretty ribbon that coordinated with my cross stitch.


This was fairly easy to do...you have to measure and add the heat and bond without it sticking to your iron!!


Here is the back. I even fused the ties with the heat and bond so this was really NO SEW.

 Here it is in my living room.  I may look for a larger pillow as I can just untie this topper and add it easily to a pillow that is a tad longer.  But since this is just a seasonal pillow that I will only use in my decor for a few weeks, it is fine.  And now that I know how easy it is to do I may do a few more seasonal pillows for my home.

8 comments:

Sandy said...

Well now, aren't you just the most clever of clever? I love it. It will be a great way to keep having stitching projects.

Arlene Grimm said...

I needed a new way to finish things Sandy and this may be it!

Terri D said...

Arlene, that is such a cute idea! Velcro would work too, if you were to use the same shape covers on the pillow. Love your great idea!

Arlene Grimm said...

Yes that might be another idea for me to work on Terri!! Landon sat in the chair tonight and the pillow held up to him so I was glad!! I was not going to tell him that he could not sit there. lol

Mrs.T said...

Arlene, what a great idea! Very, very clever. Thanks for sharing this fun and versatile project! I may just need to make some of these.

Mari said...

Well Arlene - aren't you a smart one? It's very cute!

doodles n daydreams said...

This is a great idea especially for those of us who do not own a sewing machine :)

Diana

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Ladies. It was easy, just one of those "piddly" projects that take some time. Now I am going to keep a lookout for pillows on sale at Tuesday Morning and TJ Maxx that I might be able to decorate with some seasonal cross stitch.