Followers

Saturday, February 27, 2016

On The Bookshelf

As part of my 40 Bags in 40 Days Challenge, I decided to purge my bookshelves upstairs. It is very hard for me to part with books but there were many on my shelf that I knew I would never read again. Now I just have to tell myself that I do not need to purchase every book in the used book room at our library in Decatur.   I have one shelf that I hope will appeal to my older grands. This summer I plan for us to read some of these books during our quiet times.


It is not a big shelf because I am selective in choosing children's literature.

The Thief Lord is my favorite book by Cornelia Funke, a German author. I also enjoyed the first book of the Inkheart Series, the others not so much.

This was my favorite book when I was nine years old. I re read my copy until it fell apart. I found this identical edition at the Used Book Room. Of course it had to come home with me.

Ann Martin, author of The Baby Sitters Club series, wrote The Doll People and its Sequel, The Meanest Doll in the World.   For some reason I have always been intrigued by stories of dolls in dollhouses.

A similar book by Rumer Godden.  I just love Ms Godden's writing...she can do childrens books as well as novels for adults.

Another one by Rumer Godden. It is the story of a little orphan girl looking for a home at Christmas.

Can you tell this was a library discard? I LOVED the Flicka, Ricka and Dicka books when I was a girl.

Oh how I loved the Betsy books when I was in first and second grade.  This is a reprint but if I could find an original copy, I would buy it in a second.

This is the Bobbsey twins book I grew up with. I realize that the reprints in the late 60s were also edited for a more modern generation.

One of my favorite "new" childrens book. Thanks to my friend, Susan, who gave me this book and introduced me to Kate DiCamillo.

This is a book I found as an adult but I loved it! It is the story of a Jewish family who lived and loved in a big city at the turn of the century. I believe they lived in New York City but it has been a while since I read this one so do not hold me to it.

And last but certainly not least...The Little House Books. This is another series that I read over and over again as a child. Reading them as an adult is fun too but as an adult, I often get aggravated at Pa for dragging his family all over creation just because he has an itchy foot.  But then had he not been a wanderer, we would not have this story!

I have already told Marvin that our little house must have book shelves. I like my Kindle but I have never really warmed to it. I still like the look, the feel and the smell of a new book!!  I think Readers are life long learners! I want to develop that love for reading in all of my grands.

18 comments:

Tina said...

This brought back some wonderful memories of reading these aloud to my two when they were young! We loved the Betsy books too, I'm especially fond of Snowbound with Betsy and I've saved my copy for my future (hopefully?!) grandkids! Also the All of A Kind Family books are great! I've never read Edward Tulane but it looks good and I'm going to look for it at the library. I know what you mean about the Kindle - I like it fine but just can't get into it like a real book. I miss reading kid's books and you've encouraged me to get back into it, you're never too old, right?

Arlene Grimm said...

Tina, we must be kindred spirits in the reading department. ( I just reviewed a good book on Good Reads if you want to check it out.) Some of my favorite childhood memories involve the library in my home town. It was small and not many books but I can still see it in my mind and Miss Johnnie Hartley who was the librarian. She had white hair drawn up in a bun and a soft southern voice. My mother took us to the library once a week and I often had my choices read by the next day. So I re read them. Please check out Edward Tulane. It is just precious. I did not like The Tale of Desperaux( also by this author) as well. Sometimes I find great comfort in reading the books of my childhood!

Terri D said...

I have been reading for as long as I can remember and love books, but I am happy now with my Kindle and not having shelves (and shelves and shelves) of books. My favorites when I was a tween were the Trixie Beldon books and Nancy Drew. I also read the Hardy Boys that I thought were not just for boys! :)

Sandy said...

I love your collection. Several have been favorites of mine. I too love my books. Every room in the house has them, and I still remember the ones I gave away. I often wish I had some of them back, but as you say unless I want to be an actual library, space dictates you can't keep them all.
I like the Kindle kind of...like it is kind of good when you forget a book and your stuck waiting somewhere then you can pull them up on your phone with the Kindle app, but I am still a paper kind of person as well.

Arlene Grimm said...

Terri, I was a Trixie Belden fan as well, loved Donna Parker books too. I can remember reading a story about two girls who got locked in the library overnight. Their names were Fern and Garnet. I loved those names!! It is true that the books we read as children stay with us all our lives. Sandy, I guess I am afraid that if all the technology were to suddenly disappear, I want to be prepared. I agree that the kindle is good for times when you are stuck somewhere. I do have kindle on my phone and every now and then I pull it out and start reading when I am waiting. Really I could get rid of other things easily, but not my books.lol

Heather said...

I love reading. I, too, have never really warmed up to my kindle. I occasionally read a book on my phone, too, but I really love having a real book in my hands. Part of the gift I got from Andrew on our 1st anniversary was two books (since the gift is traditionally paper, it is very fitting!). He knows how much I love books! I don't often part with my books, though; it is just too hard for me!

Susan Graben said...

Your LITTLE WOMEN looks a lot like mine. (Except mine was an older edition.) It had the hard plastic type cover and I read mine until the spine came off. I think I finally threw it out when we moved but discovered what I had read was only an abridged version! I bought the complete version and i know it is somewhere in the house......

Mari said...

I had Little Women and the Bobbsey Twins. I also love Nancy Drew, the Hardy boys, The Boxcar children and a series of biographies that our local library had.

doodles n daydreams said...

I totally agree, i think the more you read the more you learn about all sorts of stuff you don't hear about in school. My favourite book as a child was Peter Pan, but I was a bit of a bookworm I must admit.

Diana

Arlene Grimm said...

Heather, a man who gives you a book is a treasure!! Susan, you are right, this is abridged but hey it kept me entertained. I do not know if I have ever read the whole book. Mari, I never got into Nancy Drew. In fact I never really liked mysteries until I was older. Agatha Christie converted me. Diana, I need to read Peter Pan. I am sure it is different from the Disney version!! I was and still am a bookworm Diana!!

Cranberry Morning said...

This was fun for me, for I love many of the same books. I loved the Bobbsey Twins! And I need to cull out books, although I do it from time to time (my shelves could not prove it, however). I need to be a touch ruthless when it comes to cleaning out. It's especially difficult for me to do when it comes to books.

Arlene Grimm said...

Judy, I feel your pain!!lol It is hard for me to be ruthless with my books.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Oh, I see lots of books that I have loved for a lifetime! And I enjoy having lots of children's books in my collection! Hugs!

Arlene Grimm said...

Diane, that does not surprise me at all!! Book lovers of the world unite!!:)

Barbara said...

I agree with you. I would take a Kindle if given to me but if I were going to pay for downloads, I'd just as soon pay for a real book. I also love the feel and smell of a real book. I carry a book in the car for stops that turn out to be longer than expected. I'm sure people sitting around me are wondering why I'm lugging a book when I could have a Kindle. I guess they'll just never understand.

Arlene Grimm said...

Barbara I am the same way...I usually have a book or two in my car!!

Tif Nichols Fannin said...

I've re-read the Little House books SOOOO many times. Also, you should check into the Mandie series of books. They are awesome for that age group!

Arlene Grimm said...

Tif, Laura Ingalls Wilder is quite the treasure. Have you read Pioneer Girl? It was rather disappointing to see the seamy side of the prairie. I will check out the Mandie books.