Followers

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Redwork

Some of you may remember that I took home some pillowcases that were driving my Mother crazy. She enjoys embroidery but cross stitch, stamped or counted, not so much. I told her life was too short to spend her time doing something she did not enjoy. She is 85 and she should enjoy her crafts not get high blood pressure over them.

Well I have finished one of the pillowcases.


I did the cross stitch all in red. It is much easier than changing threads! So easy to sit and do while I am watching some tv in the evenings.  I did some research on Redwork and found that it became popular in the 1800s.  Most red thread back then would "bleed" when washed so no one used red thread for clothing or needlework. But some smart person came up with a process that made the thread color fast and everyone was so excited about it that they started doing needlework using only red thread....redwork.  There is also a blue work and black work movement. I really liked how they turned out. Now I need to get some trim for the edges. I am thinking of trying to crochet an edging for it. I will update when I have both pillowcases finished.

And I got another counted cross stitch piece back from the framers...


I plan to use this in my little farm house but since it is only a dream right now, I am using this sampler in my kitchen as we move from winter to spring.  The cloth it is stitched on is a watermark material. I love the depth it gives and it makes the piece look rather old as well.

I have two projects in the works right now...the other pillowcase as well as a Summer cross stitch.  It is my therapy. There is something so calming about seeing the thread weave in and out and then the final stitch is secured and you have a piece of art.  I love to think of all the women through the ages who enjoyed using a needle to create something of use or of beauty or both!  I am glad to be one of that line!

15 comments:

Sandy said...

I love both of the pieces. I think some red would be good for a trim on the pillowcase. The other will look great in your farmhouse. I love stitching as well. I do it overnight while Hubby watches TV.

Cranberry Morning said...

That is SO pretty. I agree that it would look great with a crocheted edge. I've not done any needlework at all for a long time! - my next, though, is sewing.

Arlene Grimm said...

I am thinking of crocheting some red trim for the edges Sandy. It had been a while since I have attempted it but I think I can do it. The pillowcase worked up so quickly...much faster than my counted cross stitch. Have you done any more work on your farm house? Love all your ideas as they are what I envision for my little farm house.

Julie's Lifestyle said...

It looks like you have been busy crafting Arlene and they are so pretty. I hope you are having a nice week.
Julie xo

Arlene Grimm said...

Judy, I am going to get out my old crochet hooks and see if I can make some of my own trim. If I fail, maybe Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's will have something I can use. I used to sew but it often left me wanting to pull my hair out so I gave it up!:) I do need to work on making that Easter Bolster and my friend, Deb, says I can use her sewing machine. We will see!!

Arlene Grimm said...

Julie, I have a cold right now so cross stitching and sitting on the couch are a good thing. Loved your picture this am!!

Mrs.T said...

Beautiful work, as always, Arlene! I love the pillowcases. They would indeed be pretty with a crocheted edge. Whenever I do stamped cross stitch I am always amazed how quickly it works up as opposed to the counted cross stitch. Working in only one color makes it even faster. I think this design would also be pretty with yellow and/or pink roses and green leaves! Many possibilities with a design like this one, but I love the red that you chose.

Arlene Grimm said...

It is DMC 418, one of my favorite blue reds. As I was researching Redwork, I found some pictures of squares you could purchase to embroider and make redwork quilts. I think they were popular in the 30s and 40s. Now I want to do one!! It either works up quick Mrs T or I watch too much tv!! I have had a cold this week so I have been sitting around more than usual.

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

I never knew that background on the red thread. Something about the red against the white is so pretty!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It turned out so pretty using all red. I love pretty embroidery and have a pillowcase doll started. Hugs, Diane

Terri D said...

Your redwork on the pillowcase is just lovely! I can't wait to see what you decide to do for the edging. I so envy you folks who can do needlework so well. My friend, Shirley, is good at it too. I just don't have the patience for it. Love your sampler, too!

doodles n daydreams said...

I have a cushion cover I need t get out and finish, if I can find it. I may do it in red as I don't like it the way it is which is why it was put away. Somewhere.

Diana

Mari said...

I've never heard of redwork, but it sure turned out nice. It was sweet of you to do it for your mom. I love the sampler too!

Arlene Grimm said...

Leslie Anne, Red is my favorite color so I love doing redwork. Diane, I look forward to seeing your pillowcase doll project. I should have thought of making a pillowcase dress for baby Audrey. I just might do that. Terri, I am sure you have things that bring you pleasure. Not everyone is cut out for needlework. I used to sew my own clothes and I realized that it was just so aggravating to me, that I gave it up. Diana, I want to see your finished project as well. I love that so many of my blog friends are crafters. Mari, I read about it years ago in a craft magazine and it intrigued me. And as I said before, Red is my favorite color so redwork is right up my alley.

Barbara said...

I love that redwork. I think when I finish the scarf I am working on I will switch back to cross stitch. My daughter bought me one of those lighted magnifiers on a stand. Yahoo.