Followers

Saturday, February 20, 2016

Weekend Recipe and a Cutie Pie for Dessert


 I made a big bowl of Broccoli Slaw the other night and oh my goodness. I had forgotten how tasty it is. My sis in law, Barbara, introduced me to this dish that she made as a side at a family cookout. One thing I like about this recipe is that you can add whatever you want to it and it still tastes good.

Broccoli Slaw
2 crowns of broccoli...chopped. ( I use my handy dandy hand cranked food processor. I am not sure of the brand name but it works great for these kinds of recipes.)
1 small onion...red onion or a sweet onion is best. (finely chopped)
1 bag of Oscar Mayer bacon bits. The real kind, not bacos.
1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Dressing..1 cup mayonaise, 4 T sugar, 2 T vinegar...mix and pour over the slaw, stir well. I always add a bit of salt and pepper to the dressing as well.

When I made my slaw the other night, I added some raisins and some cashews that I had on hand.  And I did not have mozzarella cheese so I used monterey jack.  It lasts in the fridge for two to three days but I seldom have it in the fridge very long because we love it so!!

And now for the cutie pie...


Katy shared this picture of Elliott the other day on FB and she captioned it,  A dagger in the boot in the olden days, a flask in a boot in college years and a toy car in the boot in Mommy Days. I think I will take Mommy Days.

This little one loves his cars and I am not surprised he keeps one or two in his boots!!

The beautiful weather has finally arrived so I am looking forward to a day spent enjoying some time outside. Of course, I have a new library book too so its a temptation to read all day but I will fight it. Have a good weekend friends.

9 comments:

Jenny Bonds said...

love this salad; and I have the recipe without the cheese and cashews, but with the raisins. You're right; it's good with lots of things added.
Jenny

Arlene Grimm said...

So excited to see your visits to Nanaland Jenny!! I admire you working girls as I do not get as much stuff done as I ought to be able to do, being home all day. Of course I may be guilty of doing needlework or reading when I should be working about the house! Thanks for your advice on Baylor's schooling. I will pass that on to Katy. You know how "authoritative" the system can be and you tend to just cower and take it. Especially when you are overwhelmed all the time. I am hoping they will allow him to stay at Trace Crossing for one more year. I miss all you girls too...I need to contact Karen and find out when her moving date will be. It will be good to have her closer to home!!

Cranberry Morning said...

Elliot is just adorable!! And that salad is one of my favorites. I can hardly stay away from it, and what's not to like?? :-) Have a wonderful weekend, Arlene. xo

Terri D said...

Thanks for the recipe. I've not had that before but it sounds (and looks) wonderful. Elliot is adorable!

Mari said...

He is so cute!
Yum - you are making me hungry.

doodles n daydreams said...

Oh I can't start reading during the day or I may as well have stayed in bed! Lovely shot of Elliot with his cars. and I've copied that slaw recipe as well, my daughter has broccoli growing like mad in her garden.

Diana

Arlene Grimm said...

Judy, I think I could eat this every day and not get tired of it!! Terri, I could eat that cutie pie..he is just a big ole lump of sugar!! Mari, you make me hungry every week with your good recipes. Diana, I hope you enjoy the slaw, you can really add whatever you like to it! And I have a book going right now that calls my name!!lol I have to resist temptation. Little boys and their toys. I guess a love of motor vehicles starts early!!

Tif Nichols Fannin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tif Nichols Fannin said...

Your little cutie is too cute! I bet he would have fun playing with Kane.

I'll have to share your slaw with my mother-in-law:) She really enjoys dishes like that.

Tif
www.brightonabudget.com