Followers

Friday, February 5, 2016

You Might be a Southerner...Part Two

Oh I loved reading all the comments regarding regional sayings!! I enjoy learning more about our distinctive country. I have to share that my high school friend, Sharon, related to me that she thought barb wire was bob wire until she was older. Yes, we Southerners have our own language!

You might be a Southerner if...

6. You cannot drive on snow and ice.  I wish I had a dollar for each time I have heard a transplanted northerner say this! I would be rich.  Marvin and I were watching coverage of the big snow storm that hit last week and there was a picture of cars off the road etc. I told Marvin, look at all those Southerners who were up there!! Because we know they cannot drive on Snow and Ice! People, no one can drive on Snow and Ice. My daughter in law, Nancy, is from Connecticut and she was caught in the Snowpocolypse in Atlanta several years ago. She was on a business trip there and she told us that it was the most nerve wracking driving she had ever experienced.  We do not have snow removal equipment down here. Oh we might have a truck or two that could have a plow attached and we have bags of salt but we so seldom need it that city governments do not spend money on snow removal. And for that reason, when it snows or when it gets icy, we stay home and enjoy a Snow Day. They seldom last more than two or three days and hey, we all have milk and bread so we are set to hibernate for a bit!!

7.Your ears hurt if you go north of the Mason Dixon line. I say this because Southerners tend to be soft spoken and all my northerner buddies talk loud.  When I was in nursing school, I had a friend who was originally from Pennsylvania. When I went home with her for the weekend, I thought her parents were yelling  all during my visit.   They were not yelling but they just talked louder than most people I knew. I found the same thing to be true in Louisville. The Mason Dixon Line runs through Louavul...I made sure my youngest son was born in a hospital that was south of said line. Thanks Baptist East!!

8.You smile at people you do not know and say Hello.  One of my transplanted northern friends asked me why we were smiling all the time! And as for engaging people you do not know, well they could be serial killers.   I admit it, I am a smiler and I often engage in conversations with people I do not know. This did take a funny turn one day in Target. I was in the back to school section, purchasing some things for the grands when a young man of about 30 entered my personal space and said hello.  He asked me what I was shopping for and told me he was looking for a folder with the picture of a cat on the front.  Being the sweet person I am, I helped him look through the selection of folders in the store. Then he pulled out his wallet and proceeded to show me pictures of his cat so I would know what kind of cat to look for!! Believe me, I was beginning to wonder what I had gotten myself into!! After we both determined there were no cat folders to be found, he went on his way and I had a good story to tell Marvin that evening.

9.All carbonated beverages are Coke.  Not soda pop, not soft drink...Coke.  That is baffling to new arrivals in the south.  I guess we are just loyal to Coca Cola and think that it deserves the recognition. Coca Cola was developed in Atlanta and most Georgians will look at you with horror if you offer them a Pepsi. They will drink an RC cola if you give them a Moon Pie to go along with it. Moon Pies are a southern specialty.  They are rather like a cold smore and they come in flavors of chocolate, banana and vanilla.

10. You like your tea and your milk SWEET.   Nothing is more refreshing on a hot day in the south than a big ole glass of sweet tea over ice.  And it has to be sweetened with sugar and preferably a LOT!  I was in a restaurant in Huntsville over the holidays and I ordered sweet tea. Well what they gave me was not sweet tea...it was not sweet enough. If you are going to run an eating establishment in the south you had better have Sweet Tea.  And it has to be brewed ....none of this instant tea nonsense.  On to Milk....when I was growing up you heard the phrase Sweet Milk quite a bit. This told your mama or your grandmother that you wanted whole milk and not buttermilk.  People in the south used to drink a lot of buttermilk.  Personally I only like it in biscuits. My Granddad Henderson had buttermilk at every meal. He would take some corn bread, crumble it up and put it in his buttermilk and eat it like cereal. Lots of old time southerners enjoyed that treat and sometimes it would be their whole meal.   Cornbread is another southern thing. My Aunt Janelle travelled to Italy with her husband several years ago and when she got home I asked her if she enjoyed her trip. It was nice she said, but could you believe they did not have corn bread over there???

I hope you enjoyed a look at the Southern World...we are a different breed for sure. And we are not everyone's glass of sweet tea but those southern roots will follow you all of your life. No matter how far you roam from Dixie, a little part of you longs for the soft voices, the heat and the love of a place deep in your heart.

7 comments:

Mrs.T said...

These last two posts were so much fun, Arlene! I must admit that I also am one who smiles at people (particularly people I see in the grocery store week after week) and will sometimes engage them in conversation if I can.

I will never forget being in a store in SC once when my daughter and hubby lived there. Someone slightly bumped into me with their "buggy" -- we say "cart" or sometimes "carriage" -- and they apologized so sweetly. "Oh, I am so terribly sorry!" Up here one would most likely meet with a glare for being in their way.

Sandy said...

Right on target for both posts.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Mrs T and Sandy!! It really took me back to my childhood and how many things have changed since then.

Mari said...

That was fun! I think Northerners do drive better in snow and ice, but only because we have more practice. :)
I like the soft spoken part. It's something I need to work on. I think I've gotten used to talking loud because I work with so many people who are hard of hearing. I also like Coke and although I say pop, I sure don't want any pepsi!

Arlene Grimm said...

i had to drive in snow when we lived in Louavul but I did not like it one bit!:) even with snow removal patches of ice are scary!! Mari I tend to talk loud when I get excited so I am right there with you! You need to do a northern post! I bet you have some things that are pure Michigan.

doodles n daydreams said...

Oh yes, there's no place like the home you grew up in. I've enjoyed your post so much.

Diana

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Diana...I have enjoyed reading your blog because I have learned so much about your home. I hope I never lose the desire to learn about other places and people.