Followers

Monday, March 7, 2016

The Stream

Well since I am still overwhelmed by the last episode of Downton Abbey, we will swim along in my stream of consciousness this morning.

1. Downton Abbey...I have to admit that when Mrs Hughes started singing Auld Lang Syne on last night's episode, I might have shed a few tears.  It was the perfect ending, every i dotted and every t crossed. For this moment in time, all were happy. Of course I know that there are probably trying times ahead for all of them. As the older folks die, the younger members of the upstairs and downstairs family will face the usual peaks and valleys of life.  I for one hope Mary and Edith will become friends, if not loving sisters.  Of all the characters on the program, I think Edith has grown the most. In fact she went from being one of my least favorite characters to being my favorite Crawley sister.   I loved the scene of Rose showing off Victoria Rachel Cora's photos to the servants. I think it is sweet that she named her baby after Cora.  Being a genealogical nut, i know that first children were often named after both grandfathers or grandmothers. I liked the attention to detail when Rose was asked, "Isn't your mother's name Susan?" Good for Rose for going with Cora!!
And poor Carson, it probably is time for him to step down when ladies maids are having babies in the bed of Lady Mary!  Didn't Daisy look cute in her new haircut. My heart went out to Isobel when she shared with Lady Violet that she found herself bursting in to tears over poor Dickie.  When those two marched to the house to liberate Lord Merton, I was cheering them on.  I really do love the friendship between these two unlikely allies. It was a very satisfying ending to a great series. I look forward to hearing your opinions on the final episode.  Adding this a bit later! I meant to give a shout out to actress Patricia Hodge who played Bertie's mother. If you love Rumpole of the Bailey you may recognize her as Phyllida, the lawyer who Rumpole loved to call Portia. She has been a fav of mine for many years. And she played this part brilliantly.

2. The Royal family released some new pictures of William, Kate and their children, taken on a recent ski trip. Being an Anglophobe, I love to keep up with the Royal Family. I am a follower of the family on Instagram!lol The Windsors look like a happy family. Baby Charlotte is just precious and that George looks like he keeps everyone on their toes. A few pictures showed Kate and William teasing each other. I do think they are living out a fairy tale that Charles and Diana were never destined to enjoy.


3. We had a great weekend at our church with Missions Conference. Meeting Missionaries from around the world and fellowshipping with them was a blessing.  We got to attend a Saturday Brunch where we were able to hear a dear young missionary speak about Taiwan. Joseph was a friend of our son, Charles, and he we are so proud of his heeding of God's call. Our main speaker urged us not to let fear of current world events get us down....in the darkest of times, God is working and calling people to Him. Have a Gospel Optimism!  I felt this word was for me...so I am going to take it to heart.

4. I read a really good book over the weekend. Father Melancholy's daughter by Gail Godwin. It is an old book but one that I picked from the shelf at the library, read the first page and decided it had to come home with me.  I think Gail Godwin writes in a similar style to Anne Tyler but with a Southern Twang.  Father Melancholy's Daughter deals with the life of the daughter of an Episcopal priest in Virginia. Margaret's life is forever changed when her mother abandons her at age six.  There are many layers in this story of a girl growing up without a mother and it really gave me a lot to think about after I turned the last page.

5.  I am hoping to finish up my shamrock today so maybe I will have a picture of it tomorrow.  I am going to enjoy this week as I will be babysitting Baby Audrey next week and the week after that is spring break for Kendall and Landon.  We are racing toward Summer!

Well time to get busy this morning. Have a blessed day dear friends.

12 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

It was a wonderful Downton Abbey but I hate for it to be over. I wanted it to go on and on....!!! Enjoy your day! Hugs, Diane

Arlene Grimm said...

I agree Diane! I am glad they ended on a high note.

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

I loved the ending of Downton Abbey, but was hoping that even though it would be a HUGE stretch, Marigold's father would reappear, desperately still in love with Edith and having spent years in a hospital or something strange like that. Marrying royalty that loves her was a good alternative!

Arlene Grimm said...

Leslie Anne, I guess I was not a big fan of Michael Gregson so I was glad that Bertie came along. I think he will adopt Marigold and he and Edith will be her parents and hopefully have some of their own. I think it would be fun to do a little look ahead at where they would all be in 20 years...1945. Some of the characters would have died but it is fun to think of what the younger folks would be doing.

Alix Tregenza said...

Hi Arlene
I read your blog in Spain. I can't remember how I found you in the first place, but I just wanted to say thank you for the book suggestions. I read your review of the Romanov siters and bought the book, and thoroughly enjoyed it.

P.S We are an English family living in Northern Spain for my husbands job.

Arlene Grimm said...

Alix, so glad you are here at Nanaland today!! My family roots are in Yorkshire, England....my maiden name is Tankersley. I think that explains why I love all things English. I am glad to share books as I am an avid reader. Are you on Good Reads? I have an account there and I try to review all the books that I read..even the stinkers.:) Please friend me there if you are a Good Reads member!! One of the reasons I love blogging is all the different people I meet...I feel like I know you all personally!

Mrs R said...

Arlene, I loved the Downton finale. And I LOVED Edith's wedding dress. I am so glad she had a happy ending!

I haven't seen the new Royal family pictures. I'm not sure where to look. I will have to google them. :-)

Arlene Grimm said...

Mrs R, the pictures of the Royal family were on NBC news tonight. I guess it was a slow news day.

Mari said...

I just finished watching Downton and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's so nice when the finish a series like that. I also saw the royal pics and loved them. Such a cute family!

Arlene Grimm said...

I am looking forward to Re Watching Downton from the beginning, Mari!!

Latane Barton said...

I agree with you 100% about Downton Abbey's ending. But, oh so sad it had to end. I want to see little George grow up and Marigold, too. And, see what happens to Edith. I think Mary has become a bit too 'sweet' for me to take, hehe. It was a wonderful series and I will miss it.

Arlene Grimm said...

I think the pregnancy hormones always make Mary nicer.lol I do think it would be interesting to see where they are later in life.