Followers

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Books and Movies

As I mentioned before, my reading has not been as enjoyable this year. It seems every book I start, I put away as not worth my time! I had an update on my Good Reads challenge for 2016 this morning. I have read 20 books out of the 50 that I set as a goal.  None of the 20 were very memorable! I did finish one this week that held my attention, The Chaperone by Laura Moriarty.

The Chaperone is a parallel story of two women. One of the women is the silent screen star, Louise Brooks, a real person in time.  Cora Carlisle is the other woman, a fictional character. Both live in Wichita, Kansas and when Louise has the opportunity to go to dance classes in NYC, she needs a chaperone. Louise's own mother is not to be bothered so she asks for a volunteer. Cora steps up as she has a motive for going to NYC herself. Cora, now the wife of a prosperous Wichita lawyer and the mother of twin teenage boys, has always had a secret shame. She was left at an orphanage in NYC and then sent west on one of the many Orphan Trains. Taken in by a lovely older couple, she still feels the need to find out who she really is and why her life took that tragic turn.  Cora pays a high price for her trip to New York as Louise is not your average 15 year old girl and seems to be bent on getting the attention of every man in the city, and not in a good way.  The trip is eye opening in many ways to Cora and brings her a life long happiness that she never dreamed of finding. But prices are paid for that happiness as we find out as the book takes Cora back to Kansas.  As for Louise, she goes on to find fame on the big screen but because of her poor choices in life, many influenced by her childhood, she soon finds herself bankrupt and back in Wichita.  This book gives the reader a lot to think abour...choices and how they can have long term effects is a biggie.

Marvin and I also saw two movies that were pretty good...notice I said pretty good. Sometimes I wonder what has happened to rhe REALLY good movies. Seems there are fewer of those nowdays. We saw The 100 Foot Journey starring Helen Mirren. Helen Mirren always elevates any project she is involved in. An Indian Family imigrates to Europe and through a series of misadventures, they end up in France.  They open an Indian Restaurant right across the street from a One Star Michelin French Restaurant. You can imagine what ensues! Last night we watched Big Eyes. Set in the 50s and 60s it tells the story of Margaret Keane who painted the children with Big Eyes that became the Rage in the commercial art world. However, Margaret's husband, Walter, the master salesman, convinces Margaret to allow him to take credit for the paintings.  When Margaret finally wakes up and smells the coffee, she takes Walter to court over ownership of the paintings. As I get older, I do like pieces that take me back to the years when I grew up so it was fun to visit the 60s again. Amy Adams won a Golden Globe for her performance. She is one of my favorite young actresses. Although, at 41, I guess she is not so young anymore either!!

It is Friend Day and we are off to Cullman to lunch and to do some shopping.  I always look forward to Thursdays!!

6 comments:

Heather said...

That sounds like a book right up my alley! I will definitely be looking it up. Those movies sound great, too. I am off to amazon to see if I can find them and hope they are on prime!

Mildred said...

Enjoy your outing with friends today. You had asked about the tree with pink blossoms - IF I ever find out what it is, I'll be sure to share. I'd love to have one!

Arlene Grimm said...

Heather I am a big fan of old movies as in the black and white ones! So I guess I am a little hard on modern movies. Mildred, those flowers were just beautiful and I have never seen them before to my knowledge.

Chris K in Wisconsin said...

Have you read "Orphan Train"? That was a very good book. Also, have you read "Can't Wait to get to Heaven" by Fanny Flagg? It is a wonderful sweet book. Have you read any Sandra Dallas books? "Prayers for Sale" is one of my favorites. Might help you on your Goodreads list. :-) I got my "update" today, also, and am ahead of schedule this year!!

Arlene Grimm said...

Chris I have read every book you have listed!:) I am a pretty voracious reader!! I love Sandra Dallas as a rule, one or two of hers I did not care for but every author has some books that do not resonate with all readers. I agree, Prayers for Sale is great!! I would also recommend Augusta Trobaugh...Swan Place is my favorite.

Terri D said...

Thanks for the reviews!!