Followers

Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Projects and Surprises

As I mentioned that I have not been reading a lot, I have had more time for some projects. Here is one I did with Margaret.

I always try to do a craft with the older grands when they are visiting. I had seen a similar project online and decided we would tackle it. A friend of mine likened it to Kandinsky. I told her that was what we had in mind too! NOT...just a happy accident as Bob Ross used to say!  I allowed Margaret to pick six paint colors for the circles and she painted the rings in the circles as she wished. After she finished, I filled in with the black and did the lettering. We had a little squabble over the color of the polka dots on her name. I thought it should be one of the colors she used in her painting but she wanted a cherry red because it is her very FAVORITE color!  So I went with it and the little artist was right. It needed a pop of red! We sprayed it with glossy poly and she took it home to hang in her room.

I have been working on this Prairie Schooler( My favorite designer) project. In stead of doing the small projects I am making a sampler.  It will be pretty to display for summer.  Now for the surprises.

I had been looking high and low for these patterns that I had misplaced. I had planned to do FREEDOM as a summer piece. But after Christmas they had disappeared. Well I was cleaning out the basket beside my chair in the bedroom, my happy place. And lo and behold, the three patterns I was looking for were at the bottom of the basket.  More projects for me!

Many of you know I love children's books and especially those about dolls. Well my cousin, Dewilla, who is a teacher, had told me about a book titled, Hitty, Her First 100 Years. You will love it she promised. Well it was not at the library and as it is out of print, I could not find it anywhere. Yesterday I set off to the Decatur Library to TRY to find a good book and I always stop by the Used Book Room where books can be found for 25 cents to $3.  I was checking out the OLD and RARE book shelf when what should I see but this!
It was 50 cents and in great condition for a book published in 1929.  So I will be reading it and I will let you know what I think about it when I finish this old book.

I was in the old book section, looking for some books to do a Pinterest Project.  Maybe that project will show up here on Nanaland soon!

7 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

That book is a real treasure! It's been on my wish list for a long time and you never know when you'll find something special at a book sale or the thrift store. Love the fun art! Your granddaughter is very talented! Hugs!

Arlene Grimm said...

Diane, if I find another one, I will send it to you!!

Sandy said...

You have been crafty. Maybe you just needed a break from reading to get that side of you going. I love the painting you and Margaret did together. The red does really give it a pop of color.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thank you Sandy...I am trying to spend more time doing worthwhile things! The reading I was doing lately did not fall into that category!! I am not sure what it is about a lot of the New Fiction but it does not appeal to me.

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hello Arlene, You are so good to paint and do art work with your grandchildren. I hope you enjoy that book you bought! :0)
Thanks so much for the lovely visit today. I had my knitting group meeting in NYC today - so fun. I do hope you have a lovely week and weekend.
Julie xo

Arlene Grimm said...

Julie I am a big kid at heart so I love playing with paint.

Jazzmin said...

Thoroughly enjoyed your post! I had a few moments to visit you this morning and it is a delight scrolling through to catch up on a few posts I had missed below :)
Loved seeing and hearing about how your project with Margaret went- it turned out so lovely! Working in primary classrooms for the past couple of years in school, I can relate to looking at art a child is doing and thinking "oh I don't know how THAT color is going to look"... and then they finish, and they actually chose the perfect color, haha.
That's wonderful you ended up finding your patterns! Have fun with your projects! I look forward to learning that at some point, it looks so fun. And the patterns are always so homey and lovely.
Loved reading your story about coming to find your new treasured book! What a find, especially after looking for it and then finding it right there. Used Book Rooms are so wonderful to look through. So many treasures to find. And what beautiful condition!

Blessings and hugs!
Hope your Thursday has been great :)

Jazzmin