Followers

Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Prom Time

Spring means Prom Time. My niece, Laura attended her last prom as a highschooler. She will be graduating on May 27th. I am not sure how that happened as it seems she was just born several years ago! I thought you might enjoy seeing some of her pictures.

On our family farm. You can see the driveway to our  future little house in the background.

This photo was made at Praters Mill, an old grist mill in the area.

I liked this one...

I cannot write this post without adding my own two cents worth. Back when I was in high school, I never considered going to the prom because my parents thought prom was a slippery slope to a life of dancing and card playing!  Mother and Daddy were very conservative.  High school was pretty much a wash out.  I was on the nerdy side and I spent most of my time flying below the radar, not wanting to draw attention to myself. Except for the friendships I had with several girls who are still friends, high school was just a stepping stone to moving on the college, or for me, nursing school.  I never will forget the first time I took the bus downtown in Atlanta with some friends. When we got off the bus on Peachtree Street, I thought to myself, "Now this is where I want to be!!" I loved the energy of Atlanta back in the 70s. It was quite different for this little country girl who was born and raised 90 miles up the road but it might as well have been on another planet!

I still love Atlanta. I would not want to live there but visiting is fun. And I have a new appreciation for where I grew up. There is a lot to be said for both places. We truly are a sum of all our experiences.

12 comments:

Mildred said...

Laura's photos are wonderful. She is so pretty and I love her dress and hair. Fun to get a sneak peek at your driveway to the cabin too! I was so bashful during school and never attended a prom. I was also super skinny and a prom dress would have looked like it was displayed on a broomstick! lol

Heather said...

Those pictures are great! She is beautiful. I went to prom both my junior and senior year. I went with some of my girlfriends, but we were the quiet, shy type so we didn't do much dancing. I've never been coordinated enough to dance well!

Arlene Grimm said...

Well to be honest, I would have probably been to shy to go to prom anyway Mildred. And Heather, I will never be able to dance...I think it is something you are born knowing how to do!! It is not in my Baptist genes.lol

Sandy said...

You didn't miss too much by not going. We put a ton on emphasis on things that won't matter too much down the road. My son did not attend one. He went his first year to a homecoming dance with a large group of just friends. The Auburn /Florida game was that night. I think he stood in the corner all evening using up data on the phone. At some point, he called and asked me to come and get him. The school was just down the street, so I popped up there and picked him up around the corner. That was it for him...never again. My daughter actually never had a date to any event after her freshman year of high school She went to everything with her girlfriends. She had a lousy experience with a boy her freshman year. She was always in homecoming court, etc, but dateless. I told her that her Prince Charming would be waiting for her at Auburn. He was. They met the first month, and he is now my sweet son-n-love. Perfect match for her. High school is sometimes something to be endured and help shape your views.

Arlene Grimm said...

Sandy, back in 1973 you were a LOSER with a big L if you did not have a date for the prom. I wonder if any girls went alone back then? I know some girls who wanted to go who did not have dates poured the punch. I am glad girls can go as a group now. I am sure they had as much if not more fun than those with the guys. And you are right, it did not affect me for the rest of my life. I really loved Nursing School and that is where I blossomed. And I met Marvin who was the first love of my life and that is a blessing for sure.

Barbara said...

Cute cute pictures. I hope they had a wonderful time. I think you do remember these milestones all of your life.

Arlene Grimm said...

She is a pretty girl inside and out Barbara! And that blue is gorgeous.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

What a beautiful couple they make! She looks so pretty with her sweet smile. And you're right...it sure brings back memories of when we were in school! Sweet hugs, Diane

Arlene Grimm said...

Diane, i am a proud aunt for sure!!

Mari said...

She is so pretty and I love her smile! I grew up a lot like you. My school didn't even have a prom, we had a banquet, with no dancing.

Terri D said...

Your niece is a lovely young lady and I can see that she is just as lovely on the inside...she radiates joy! Her date is handsome and I hope they had lots of fun. Her dress is gorgeous. The times have changed, for sure!

Arlene Grimm said...

I wish we had had a banquet Mari, maybe my parents would have allowed me to attend!