Followers

Tuesday, April 26, 2016

The Market at Pepper Place

Katy invited us down to Bham to go to The Market at Pepper Place. She suggested we might want to plan a Saturday before the temps became unbearable. And summer in the south can be pretty hot! Grandpa and I got up bright and early on Saturday and headed to the big city. We had to make a stop at Krispy Kreme to pick up a dozen HOT donuts before heading to the Grimmlin house. Baylor associates Grandpa with Donuts so Grandpa obliges him with a box whenever we visit.  After scarfing down some hot donuts we loaded up for the trip to downtown Birmingham. The Market at Pepper Place is a Farmer's Market on steroids as you will see from my pictures. This market opens in April and closes at the end of the summer. Located on the grounds of the old Dr Pepper Bottling Plant, it attracts lots of visitors.  By the time we got there around 9:30, it was crowded with people, dogs, and lots of strollers, including ours that made sure Baylor and Elliott were safe with us.  Margaret walked along with the adults.

And it did not take Margaret long to find this booth offering samples of delicious chocolate cake.

It was a cake like my mother makes!! And isn't this beautiful hand writing? There were booths with farm products...produce, honey, locally made cheeses, breads, pork and beef.  Crafts of all kinds were available as well...pottery, soap, purses, scarves etc. It was pretty amazing.

We tease Katy about her love for condiments and sauces. She and Margaret enjoyed trying some of the homemade salad dressing.

Ben and Dad did a lot of waiting on the women!

Here is the whole motley crew. Ben wore his UAB shirt as the Market is near University of Alabama at Birmingham. Ben is a proud graduate of the University of Alabama at Tuscaloosa, the REAL BAMA.  Grandpa had on his Northrup Grumman shirt showing his colors as well.

In addition to booths there was live entertainment. You can barely see the couple on the far right but they were dancing to the beat, quite nicely too.

I bought a small piece of the aqua green pottery at this booth of potter, Emily Conover.  I was amazed at her talent in producing this horse pottery.  Ms Connor told me that she will take a picture of an individuals horse and recreate it in pottery. These pieces were about $60 but it would be a unique gift for a horse lover. She does not have a website at present but hopes to have a facebook page soon. These vendors are happy to be chosen to have a booth at The Market.

So much for getting a picture with Nana. We were headed to the car at this point and we were all hot and tired. Note my Detroit cap...thanks to my cousin, Al, in Detroit, I was styling and profiling! I usually do not like this type of cap but this one fits beautifully on my above average size head!!  And see my Sweet Tea?

Now this is the size of Sweet Tea people in Alabama enjoy. We found this tea booth at the Market and let me just say, their tea is right up there with Milo's SweetTea. In fact,  I like Southern Yall tea better as it was just the right amount of sweetness. Nothing refreshes like sweet tea on a hot southern day.

So if you live near Birmingham, you might want to check out this great market. Katy and I agreed we might like to come back without the guys and kids!! And with all the samples, you will find a light lunch is all that is needed after a day at the Market.

11 comments:

Sandy said...

I love those kinds of places. When Lindsay was living in Jacksonville, FL, they had a market like that. We ditched the guys and headed there often. Of course, the guys were fishing. Seeing the men folk waiting reminded me of the song..."Waitin' on a Woman."
Looks like y'all had a fun day.

Arlene Grimm said...

Sandy that is one of Marvin's favorite songs!! He is very patient in waiting though! It was a very nice day and we made some happy memories.

Angie said...

What a fun day! I love markets like that!

Linda said...

What a delightful trip!!! Loved every pic and that handwriting was like seeing a piece of true ART!!!!

Arlene Grimm said...

Angie, I want to go back with just Grandpa!:) Linda you are right, I LOVED that sign.

Terri D said...

I love that kind of Farmers' Market too! Lots of fun and so many things you just can't do without! ;)

Arlene Grimm said...

One of the things I like about summer is outings like that one Terri!

Mari said...

That looks like so much fun! You look cute in your hat. I wish I could wear them, but me and hats don't go well together. :)

Gina said...

Arlene, I would love to spend a day wandering the booths with you. What fun!!! Lots to see and eat and marvel at (those horse pottery vases are strange!)

Arlene Grimm said...

Mari and Gina,come on down!! We will go together! And Mari, I can never find a hat that fits me but this one fits perfectly!!

Julie's Lifestyle said...

That looks like such a fun place to visit Arlene! The tea looks great too. Enjoy the end of the week and weekend. :)
Julie