Followers

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Cheese Straws

If you live in the South, you know the joys of cheese straws. Perfect with a CoCola or a big ole glass of sweet tea and a wedding or baby shower is not complete without some cheese straws set out in a pretty glass dish to complete the menu.  I love cheese straws but I usually purchased mine from a local bakery until I decided that I too could learn to make cheese straws.  The price of this treat was another motivation! Some of our local places are very proud of their cheese straws and charge accordingly.

I tried several recipes until I found this one!

Southern Living magazine never lets me down. I did note that I had to bake my cheese straws for 15 minutes instead of the 12 minutes the recipe suggested.  And the best recipe cards are the ones with little spots of grease and batter on them!! You know that is a keeper!

Here are my tips for cheese straws....grate your cheese while it is cold but let it come to room temperature before you make your dough.  Of course your butter needs to be at room temperature as well. I cut my butter into cubes so that it is easier to incorporate into the cheese.  Cream your butter and cheese together, then add the flour with the paprika, cayenne and salt whisked in.  This is a VERY stiff batter. I really appreciated my Kitchen Aid mixer when making this recipe.

This is what the dough looks like when it is ready to press.

Now to pressing your cheese straws. I had a Wilton Cookie press that lasted all of three recipes before the plastic parts started giving out.  I think that press was made for lighter cookie dough and not cheese straw dough! So I went to Ebay looking for an OLD metal cookie press. I found one for about $8. The shipping was as much as the cookie press but I was ready to go back to the good old days of metal cookie presses.

Here is the old press and you can see what a great job it did in pressing that hard dough. The cheese straws come out in big ropes which I later cut into pieces.

Ready for the oven....and I love my silpat baking sheet that Deborah gifted me with at Christmas.

Cooling on some parchment paper.

Boxed in my Lock and Lock, ready for the freezer! I will be taking these to the wedding shower I am co hosting next weekend.

But here are a few to nibble on while I have some Sweet Tea.   They really are a yummy treat. My cheese straws are a bit on the spicy side. You can add more cayenne if you like a really hot cheese straw or you can add less and it will be just as good.

I am hoping my new Old cookie press will hold out for many more recipes!!

12 comments:

Sandy said...

They look yummy. I will have to put that recipe on my very long "to try" recipe:)

Arlene Grimm said...

Sandy I looked high and low for a recipe before finding this one. And like you, i have a folder of To Try Recipes. Most of them are from Mari at My Little Corner of the World blog. She works full time and still cooks so my hat is off to her.

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hello Arlene, wow I have never made my own cheese straws before. I really love that Southern Living Magazine so much. I will have to pay more attention to their recipes. I love your handwritten card too for the recipe to make them. I love Ebay and all of their great buys and that cookie press is so nice. I bet the cheese straws taste delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I hope you have a wonderful end of the week and weekend.
Julie xo

Cranberry Morning said...

I'd have a hard time getting them as far as the freezer! Ha! :-) They look amazing.

Blogger Jedidja said...

Mjammie!

Arlene Grimm said...

Friends, it is easier than you would think. Having the proper tools makes all the difference.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I could just keep eating those! I haven't made them in a long time but I always loved those and sesame seed breadsticks. Hugs!

Terri D said...

I have an old metal cookie press like that one that I never use. Now I must try your recipe. Hope I can find where I stashed the press!!

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

Oh my gracious! You are speaking my culinary language. Cheese straws with a Cocola — just how we said it and exactly how I wrote it in a story for the paper next week . . . are my favorite! I've made them myself because you are right, they are so expensive to purchase. I'll have to check my recipe and see if this is the same. Your's look delicious.

Mari said...

I am not a good southern girl as evidenced by the fact that I've never heard of cheese straws! I think I should be though, because I like all things Southern. :) These sound good - I'll have to keep my eyes open for a press.

Arlene Grimm said...

Diane, I did keep some out for moi! Terri, find that press and get to making some cheese straws. Leslis Anne the recipe gave a suggestion for 1/2 tsp cayenne to 2 tsp cayenne. The first time I used 2 tsp...oh my goodness, tooo HOT for me. I think 1 tsp is just right. And now I have the big head from coming up with edible cheese straws made at home!!

Arlene Grimm said...

Mari, you need to add these to your recipe file. You can be a trendsetter in Michigan!!:)