Followers

Friday, May 6, 2016

Congrats to Laura

I only have one niece on my side of the family. I have an abundance of nieces and nephews on Marvin's side of the family so it balances out.   Laura was our Miracle Baby, born after years of infertility and we were all so thankful for her arrival in the family.  My family is big on nick names...I am Nene, Kristi is Kiki and Leta is Wee Gee. Don't ask...we just like our little family names! So Laura was LaLa.  My grands still call her LaLa and each one of them love her to pieces.  How can it be that Laura is graduating from High School this year? Time flies by people!!

She has been active in FFA in her highschool years and this year she had the opportunity to go to the State Competition in Public Speaking. Her speech was on Dairy Farms and advances in this industry. Well she won first place!!

She will be going to Indianapolis in October for Nationals.  She made it to Nationals two years ago in Creed Speaking and won 2nd place in the US. We are hoping she takes first in October.

And here she is with some of her friends, all dressed in their graduation gowns.  One of the cool things that they do in my home town is a graduation parade. The graduates dress in their gowns and go to the "feeder" schools for their high school and parade down the halls as the younger students line the halls and clap for the grads. They did not do this when I was in high school but I think it is a great idea and it helps to plant the desire to finish school in the younger students.  The Scholar Graduates are the highest honor and Laura has always excelled in her studies.  She plans to attend community college to get her core studies done, then hopes to transfer to a larger school. She would like to be an agricultural spokesperson and I think she has what it takes to do just that!!


8 comments:

Terri D said...

Well, she is beautiful as well as an accomplished speaker! I just envy people who excel in public speaking. It terrifies me. I wish her all good things as she heads off to college!! Thanks for introducing us to her.

Sandy said...

What a beautiful young lady! Agriculture and FFA are near and dear to my heart. Great choice.

Mrs.T said...

Wow, congratulations to Laura. She is an amazing young woman and her goal sounds wonderful. Like the idea of that graduation parade -- what an inspiration to younger students!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Ladies, I am a proud Aunt.

Tina said...

She's a beautiful and smart young woman and you have every right to be a proud Aunt! Both my sons did/are doing community college before transferring and it has worked out well for our family. Have a wonderful weekend and Happy Mother's Day!

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

What a gorgeous and smart young lady! Love the idea of the graduate parade! We do something similar in our church and I always loved for my boys to watch the "big kids" on that special day.

Mari said...

She is beautiful and talented too. Congratulations to her!
PS - I have a Laura too - good name!

Barbara said...

Lovely girl. She is headed for great things. I'll keep my fingers crossed that she pulls a 1st this year.