Followers

Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The Stream

Well this has been a hectic week so today we will take a dip in the stream of consciousness of a 61 year old Nana!

1. Big Birthday celebrations for me and for Audrey this week. My sweet husband gave me a mac air book for my birthday and mothers day. I am loving my new toy!  I had so many birthday greetings on Facebook and that warms my heart!!  We were in Chatsworth so my Mother made my favorite chocolate cake for my birthday and wouldn't you know I forgot to bring some home! Oh well I did not need it anyway but it was so good. She makes an old fashioned chocolate cake with icing that is just like fudge. I received lovely gifts from family and friends. Now I need to get busy on thank you notes.

2. We took a trip to Chatsworth for a zoning meeting to make one acre of our land residential instead of agricultural. We had to do this to be able to place our little house closer to the property line. It was a mere formality thank goodness and the land commission granted their approval.  We will meet with our contractor next Friday when we are in town for niece Laura's graduation.

3. Sister Leta gave me another Mary Engelbreit coloring book!! I had one that I found at Walmart but this one is completely different. I am going to be very busy.:)

4. I finally found a book I enjoyed, The Chronicles of Pemberley, by Rebecca Ann Collins. It did not get great reviews on Good Reads but it was just what I needed. I have been so distressed by many things that are going on in the lives of my friends that I needed to visit a place where everything is lovely and the people have such wonderful manners.  Ms Collins takes up the story of Jane and Elizabeth Bennett after their marriages to Mr Bingley and Mr Darcy and it was just lovely. There were sad aspects to this book as well but the people of Ms Austen's time dealt with things in a straightforward manner that is refreshing.  Now I am reading the second book in the series. The Women of Pemberley.

5. I had a time to chat with my sister who is retiring from the school system and I was so sad to hear of the things modern day teachers have to put up with! I can see why retirement looked so inviting. When I was in school, the teachers taught us what we needed to know with no excessive amounts of testing.  They accepted the fact that some children could not do as well as others and it was not a big deal. The modern day thought that everyone has to excel is troubling to me. There is no room for individuality and talent. And discipline is very lacking at home and that comes into play in the classroom.   Please pray for our teachers...they do such a service to our country!

6. We are having a restful day at home as Marvin took the day off. It is a little taste of what retirement will be like. I think I will enjoy it once we become accustomed to a new everyday schedule. I think the man cave upstairs was a brilliant idea by the way!:) We all need our own little space every now and then.

Well I am off to the mall to get some steps in as Marvin is taking me out to one of my favorite  restaurants for dinner this evening. Have a blessed day friends.

11 comments:

Sandy said...

You have been busy. I thought we were so supposed to slow down in these years, but I am finding that not to be the case. I am glad your sister gets to retire..it is very hard these days.
I know exactly what kind of fudge frosting you are talking about. My mama and my mother-in-law both made it. It was divine. I try and have gotten much better, but trust me it is laborious when I do it. They both looked like there was nothing to it.
Enjoy your day.

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Aww Happy Birthday Arlene! I love your new coloring book. How nice to have the new computer too! Sounds like you had a nice bday and the cake sounds so good. Enjoy the rest of the week.
Julie

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Happy Birthday sweet friend. It sounds like you are still celebrating...well, except for the cake! I love a new 'toy' and I've heard good things about these. Have fun! Wish you were here to walk with me. The time would go a lot faster! Hugs, Diane

Mrs.T said...

Happy birthday, Arlene! I always love it when you post from The Stream. I had a pretty random post myself today. Glad your zoning meeting went well and isn't it nice that your mother made your favorite cake! That icing sounds scrumptious!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks for the bd wishes friends..it has been a good one. Off to dinner tonight and then back to a disciplined way of living. No more birthday treats!!

Mildred said...

Belated happy birthday wishes. That cake sounds so delicious and similar to one my mama made. Trying to catch up after computer problems the last few weeks.

Mari said...

Happy Birthday Arlene! Sounds like you had a good day!
The book series sounds like one I would like too. :)

Linda said...

You are a much loved lady!!! And as always, a BUSY one!!!
I will have to check Walmart for that ME coloring book!!!

Arlene Grimm said...

I have had a really great birthday this year and all the sweet well wishes from my bloggie friends makes it even sweeter!!

Tif Nichols Fannin said...

So thankful you had such a wonderful birthday! Did you get the 11" or 13" Macbook Air? I just retired the 11" one I've had since my last semestee of law school (4 years) and it served me well. I love how easy they are to travel with. You'll love yours!

Arlene Grimm said...

Tif I got the 13 inch as I like a bigger screen. I am slowly coming to love it. It is a learning curve as my old mac was about 8 years old.