Followers

Saturday, June 4, 2016

Club Cracker Bars

I have an admission to make. I like to watch QVC. And I have watched it for years. I am not a big customer but I have a few brands on this shopping channel that I give my business to every now and then.  One of my favorite hostesses is Mary Beth Roe. I have watched her for years and I feel as though I know her. Years ago she did most of the cooking shows and she regularly shares good recipes on her host blog. ( yes all the QVC hosts have blogs these days!)  She shared this recipe back around Super Bowl time. She took it to a neighbor's Super Bowl Party. I just got around to trying it this week and all I can say is OH MY GOODNESS. It is delish.  Another Mary Beth recipe that I make often is Can't Leave Alone Bars. Well this should be Can't Leave Alone Bars version 2.  I put most of them in the freezer for vacation but I admit to having one or two before they made it to the freezer. I had to test them to make sure they were good you know.

Club Cracker Bars...Mary Beth Roe, QVC

Box of Club Crackers
1/2 cup butter
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup crushed graham crackers
1/4 cup milk
2/3 cup peanut butter
1 cup chocolate chips

Place club crackers in 13 by 9 pan. I  used parchment paper on the bottom of the pan.

In a saucepan combine sugars, butter, crushed grahams, peanut butter and milk.  Boil for five minutes . You will have to stir stir stir!! Before the 5 minutes were up the filling was coming away from the side of the pan so I called it quits at about 4 minutes and 30 seconds!!( This is for all you OCD cooks who like specific instructions!)

Pour filling over crackers....you can see what it looks like in the lower part of the pan. Spread evenly and add another layer of club crackers.

Now Mary Beth says to melt chocolate chips and spread over the top but I prefer to add my chocolate chips to the top then put the dish in a warm oven for a few minutes.  I took it out and spread the melted chocolate chips. I think you get better coverage that way!! And I might have used more than one cup of chocolate chips. I just covered the top layer of crackers with chips.

Here is the finished product...
I cut the bars while it was still a bit warm because I knew that middle layer would set up and it would be hard to slice later.

So here is a dessert that would be perfect for a 4th of July get together and you will be the hit of the party!

15 comments:

Sandy said...

Those look so good! Trust me QVC is way more entertaining that half the stuff on TV these days. I doubt very seriously you are alone in watching it. In fact, my daughter was talking about it the other day. Her boss watches it.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks for making me feel better Sandy! I am a sucker for Lock and Lock, Isaac Mizrahi clothes and Christmas items. One of the best Christmas trees I ever had came from the Q.

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Thanks Arlene for this easy dessert recipe! It looks sp good.
I hope you are having a nice weekend.
Julie

Terri D said...

These sound (and look) really, really good! Thanks!

Chris K in Wisconsin said...

I have been making those Club Cracker bars for about 22 years. My daughter was in college. It is the exact same recipe but mine is called Kit Kat Bars..... supposed to be a homemade version of those candy bars. We do love them. The recipe makes a lot, and they are pretty sweet!!
Funny,,,, but the other bars someone brought to work about 12 years ago. I heard them being passed around and I thought someone said they were "Cannelloni Bars".... I mis-heard Can't Leave Them Alone Bars....
Both are good recipes!
Is Mary Beth back at QVC since her accident? I haven't seen her....

Mildred said...

I remember Mary Beth but have not seen her in a long time, but I don't watch much tv. Did not know about her blog either! These look delicious and I am sure I would love them! Thanks for sharing and I wish you a blessed Sunday.

Mari said...

I've made these and they are yummy!

doodles n daydreams said...

Hi Arlene, just dropping in to say, 'No I lived on the coast. The west coast of the South Island is a very narrow strip of land that runs the length of the island and has 3 towns on it plus several smaller settlements. The Tasman Sea is on one side and the Southern Alps on the other. The nearest city is Christchurch, over the Alps or the pioneers used to catch a ship to Sydney to do major shopping.
That slice looks rather decadent, I just wish I knew what Graham crackers are. I guess I could google it :)

Diana

Arlene Grimm said...

Julie and Terri, if you were here we would eat some with a cup of coffee!!Chris K and Mari, these bars had not made it south until MB posted the recipe.And Mildred and Chris, Mary Beth is not back on air yet. She posted on her FB page that she is still in rehab after her auto accident. Her balance and vision were affected by her concussion. She is one of the sweetest hosts and I hope she is better soon. Diana, graham crackers are a sweet cracker that children love to eat here. We also use graham cracker crumbs to make pie crusts for certain pies. They are made with honey and unbleached flour. You could probably use some butter cookie crumbs as a substitute. And I always learn something from your blog Diana. I had no idea there were such big mountains there!!

Michelle Schratz said...

Why thank you for your birthday wishes at that you stopped by my place earlier Arlene ♥ I would just love to come to your place, bring some coffee over with me and have some of that yummy dessert with you :-)
Take care
Michelle ♥

Optimistic Existentialist said...

I think it is fair to say that I could eat an entire pan of these in one sitting...and not feel a smidgen of remorse :)

Tina said...

That's so funny because I always tell my husband I must be the only person who just watches QVC but hardly ever orders anything! I love Isaac Mizrahi too (and must admit I HAVE ordered some of his clothes!) Those bars look delicious and I'm always up for new summer dessert recipes. Hope you have a great day!

Heather said...

Those look really yummy!

Arlene Grimm said...

Michelle, I would love to sit down for a cuppa and one of these bars!! Maybe we could do some art as well. Optimistic, I agree! However I would feel a teeny bit guilty!!

Arlene Grimm said...

Heather, I have to keep myself from the freezer!!lol Tina, I purchase from Isaac as well and the Denim and Co capris are my favorites.