Followers

Thursday, June 30, 2016

Smokey the Bear and The Dimestore

How is that for a nifty title? I will explain!

I found this vintage Smokey the Bear Little Golden Book in the Used Book Room at my Library. The Used Book Room is one of my favorite places to shop in Decatur. You never know what you will find there. My father worked for the U S Forest Service and I have been looking for this book for years. It will be displayed in my little house along with  his Forest Service patch and name tag that I own. My sister, Kristi, collects little Golden Books and when I texted this picture to her, she told me I had better lock up good or she would come and "steal" it from me. I will let her hold it and read it occasionally!:) This book's original price was 49 cents. Kristi tells me the new books are about $4 now. I was so happy to find this little treasure.

And The Dimestore.....you all know I have been lamenting the fact that I have not read a really good book in a long time.  I can finally say I found a book I really enjoyed and it was non fiction believe it or not. One of my favorite authors is Lee Smith. She is a southern writer and I have read her books for years. She recently released her book, The Dimestore, which tells the story of her life growing up in Grundy, Virginia. Her daddy owned the local dimestore and much of her young life played out there. She writes of a Southern childhood that is so familiar to me and of a culture that is rapidly vanishing. In addition to stories of her childhood, she shares her family's personal demon, mental illness. It plagued both her parents and she lost her young son to it as well. She shared that writing the book, Agate Hill, was her therapy after her son's death. Now I want to go back and re read some of her books that I read long ago!

The kiddos are ending up their week at Winshape. I did not get pictures but there if you go to Winshapecamps.org you can read more about the philosophy of the camps and how Chic Fil A sponsors this worthy endeavor. Yesterday the children received a camp shirt and on Friday Chic Fil A is providing their lunch.  There is a fee to attend but most churches help off set the expense for church members. My own church was able to provide scholarships for some children who otherwise could not afford to attend. And I am sure other churches in Decatur did the same thing.  Kendall told me that the theme of this camp was making wise choices in friendship. And from the material I read, the emphasis is on making wise choices in all areas of life. Kendall was excited because one of the skills she chose to work on was archery and she finally hit the target yesterday. Now she wants a bow and arrow!! Landon worked on his basketball skills this week. Winshape does a good job of balancing fun with learning.

Well it is Friend Day and the Besties and I  very excited to be having lunch with a friend who now lives in Ireland. She is home for a visit with family and friends so I am honored to be able to spend some time with her today. Have a blessed day friends!

7 comments:

Terri D said...

I know you will enjoy and treasure the time you spend with your 'besties' today, including your friend from Ireland! Maybe we'll get to see a picture tomorrow?! Congrats on finding the Smokey the Bear book!! It's always fun to find something that brings back great memories!

Sandy said...

I have that book Arlene. It is one of many Little Golden books I still have from my childhood. I purchased that particular book in 1967 when we visited Yosemite National Park. I have the sweetest little story to go with it besides the fact that I loved the book myself as a kid.

I taught 1st grade one year out of my 31. I actually did not like first grade and quickly moved to my favorite grade, 4th. I will never forget that class. I had many of those kids later again in 4th, and they are some of my favorite students ever. My little Clint who happened to be the school secretary's son was completely enamored that day with the book. I will never forget his little face or the things he said. Just so happens he grew up to be a fireman and was one of the first to get to me when my daughter and I had a really bad car wreck about 8 years ago. I love my little Clint.

It would definitely perfect for you as your dad was a forest ranger.

Jan said...

I remember that book!

Tif Nichols Fannin said...

Awesome find on that Little Golden book! Also, my first roommate in college was from Grundy:)

Barbara said...

I was at World Market today and they had a stand full of those little books. I hurried the Grand Girl past them since we are reading library books and I didn't want to spend a bunch of money. I didn't slow down long enough to look at the price - I had no idea they were that pricey now. The book will be a perfect addition to your vignette.

Jedidja said...

I also love the Little Golden Books! And I understand you are sooo happy with it!

Arlene Grimm said...

Ladies I am just getting back to your comments. Yesterday was a busy one for me!! I loved reading of your love for Golden Books and Smokey Bear. When I was a child we did not have many books in our home so they were such a prize when you received one for Christmas or a Birthday. I remember a Raggedy Ann Golden Book that I loved as a child....And I have to share that my Daddy teased us about Smokey. He would sing, Smokey the Bear Smokey the Bear, I saw him pull the Ranger's hair.lol We would get so mad at Daddy because we knew Smokey would never do that!!