Followers

Thursday, June 9, 2016

This Week at Nagaland

I have some random photos that I have taken this week so I thought I would share them.

Amelia took this one of Margaret and Landon at my Mother's house over the weekend.  They are the sweetest of friends and cousins.  I hope they will always be best friends.

And here is a picture of my new cross that I purchased from former student, Lucy.  I have ordered two more!!

I received Audrey's one year old picture in the mail this week.  Now she joins all her cousins.

I love seeing my "babies" every day!! And a Nana reminder...always remember not to go too crazy when the first grand is born because you might have others. As you can see, Kendall's picture is much moe elaborate than her brother and cousins.  I saw a lady in the cross stitch store who was doing a very fancy sampler for her first born grand. I told her to remember she might have to do the same for future grandchildren.

Picked up some local peaches at the Farmers Market the other day. I made a cobbler with them yesterday. I have to say, they were still  bit tart! My easy cobbler recipe for about 10 medium sized peaches...1/2 cup self rising flour, 1/2 cup sugar( I did sprinkle the peaches with sugar too as they were not very sweet) 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 stick melted butter and 1 tsp vanilla. Mix this up and set aside while you peel your peaches. Some people leave the skin on...not me. Pour the batter into an 8 inch square baking dish and then place the peaches on top. Bake at 350 for 45 minutes or until the top is brown. The batter will rise up!  I love my adopted state of Alabama but I have to say that South Carolina produces the sweetest and tastiest peaches I have ever eaten.

VBS closing ceremony yesterday at Central Park Baptist Church. It is not a huge VBS as they go but such sweet people doing a great job representing God's People.  The theme was Submerge.  I usually arrived about ten minutes early and join the other parents in the back of the sanctuary to hear the closing thoughts. Yesterday a former missionary to India gave a short talk. She told the children that one day monkeys got into her kitchen and made quite the mess. She also told the boys and girls that you do not have to go to India to be a missionary. You can be a missionary in your own community.One thing that impressed me about this group of volunteers teaching VBS, many were retired folks. Now most older people feel they have "done their job" and many retire from serving in the church in their golden years.  Not at Central Park Baptist.

Here are my two VBS students. The verse they have memorized this week is Psalm 139:23-24. Go look it up!!:)

Today is friend day so I will be joining Deb and Sus for lunch. We are getting sandwiches at the Mennonite grocery store near Deborah's home. I will also be doing some grocery shopping as Marvin loves their popcorn. The kernels are very small and while I would rather have Pop Secret Homestyle, my better half loves the old time popcorn. I am always surprised at how busy this little store is because it is in the country and there is nothing else out that way so when you go to the Dutch Oven Grocery, it is a dedicated trip!!

Have a blessed day Friends.

13 comments:

Blogger Jedidja said...

Beautiful grandchildren! Yes, we all over the world hope and are working on a good relationship among children and grandchildren. Your photos on the wall are a good idea. But we have only one.

Peaches give me an allergic response. I always look for a way to eat them without jitters. For example, baked in a cake or something. Have a nice day! Here the sun is shining!!!

Blogger Jedidja said...

O I forgot to ask: What is a Dutch Oven Grocery? I am Dutch you know :-)

Julie's Lifestyle said...

You have such beautiful grandchildren Arlene! The peach cobbler sounds so good and yummy! Thanks for the recipe. I definitely want to make one this summer. I hope you have a wonderful day. :) Julie xo

Arlene Grimm said...

Thank you Jediidja!! The Mennonite people are of German origin so I am not sure why they chose that name. Other than the fact that the Amish and Mennonites are sometimes called Pennsylvania Dutch. I am so sorry you are allergic to peaches. I am originally from the state of Georgia which is called The Peach State. Thanks to you to Julie, I am a doting grandmother. And I think I will wait until the peaches are a bit riper before I buy any more.

Mildred said...

The picture wall of the grandchildren is so sweet. I had the privilege of holding my neighbor's new baby yesterday. Not having grands, it was a REAL treat for me to cuddle this little boy (John and I "fought" over him!!!) Hope you all have a wonderful time together today.

Arlene Grimm said...

Mildred, Marvin and I call each other Baby Hogs!! We fight over them too!:)

Sandy said...

That is good advice on the grandkids. It is kind of the same with our own first borns. I cross stitched an entire quilt for Lindsay, but didn't have the time to do one for Paul Allen. He didn't miss that point either as he got older.

Heather said...

I love the pictures of your grands! That cross is beautiful! We are still preparing for our vbs program at church. We call it base camp. We are doing an olympics theme this year, featuring the story of Paul. I'm excited for it! Have a great day!

Arlene Grimm said...

Sandy, I wish someone had told me to hold back a bit... I over did it but that is the excitement of the first born, child or grandchild. So far I have done birth samplers for all of them. Charles has asked me to do a Christmas ornament for Audrey so I need to get busy on that.

Terri D said...

Such beautiful grandchildren! VBS brings back memories of my little sisters. I don't remember going when I was young so I don't think our church did it then. I love fresh peaches!

Mari said...

I really like your new cross and that picture of Audrey is adorable!
The peaches look so good. I can't wait to see them in Michigan.

Mrs.T said...

Fun post, Arlene! I love that photo of Landon and Margaret. My youngest daughter had a relationship just like that with her cousin Travis. We used to say they were cut out of the same piece of cloth! It's a fun thing to see among cousins.

And the new picture of Audrey ... oh my, she is SO adorable.

What I have done (for the past few years) is make a special Christmas stocking for each new baby. Just ultra simple crocheted ones, but personalized. I also made a Happy Birthday banner for the family and have made a new name banner to use with it for each new child.

VBS -- I volunteered for years, either teaching a class or teaching crafts and sometimes both! Our church hasn't had VBS in awhile. The last few times we tried it, it wasn't well attended. But it's a great community outreach.

Georgia peaches are available here in our local supermarket. Of the half dozen I bought, one turned out sweet and juicy. The others are sort of tasteless. Your cobbler sounds wonderful!

Arlene Grimm said...

Mrs T, Landon and Margaret are so funny together. They truly love each other and I hope it is always that way. Audrey just started walking yesterday. We kept waiting and Charles finally caught her on video and sent it to us! I am sorry your GA peaches were not too good. It is just too early for them to be really nice and ripe in my opinion. I let mine sit on the counter for four days hoping that would make the difference but they were still rather tart! If you see in SC peaches...try them. They tend to be bigger and sweeter.