Followers

Saturday, June 11, 2016

This week in Nanaland

Well  I am scratching my head over what to post this morning so I thought I might do a week in review.  Hopefully I can come up with some pictures and ideas for next weeks postings.

On Monday I had two doctor's appointments. Dermatologist in the morning and dentist in the afternoon. I have heard from my retired friends that you have to retire in order to be able to go to all your doctor's appointments.:)  Thankfully I keep these to a minimum but I am thankful for access to good doctors when I need them.  A 90 year old lady was interviewed on the Ellen show and she said she had reached 90 because she avoided doctors!  As an old nurse I do think that many older people are over medicated and that can lead to many problems.

Tuesday we went to see Harry Connick Jr but I left out part of the story. We have had these tickets for months but for some reason we thought the concert was on Thursday evening. Thank goodness Marvin checked the VBCC site that morning to be sure. The kiddos were spending the night with us so Amelia and Todd graciously came to babysit for us. As Amelia put it, technically it is not babysitting since they are MY children.:)  I have not made a goof like that in a long time so now I am thinking I am going to have to write everything down!! I am not sure why I did not write that down on my calendar but I did not.

Wednesday I had dinner at Sam's here in Decatur with my Titus Ladies group. Six of the eight of us had a good time of food  and fellowship. We are in our third year of a three year program at our church. We have all decided that we want to continue meeting once our course is up.  We have become so close and I do not want to lose touch with these sweet ladies.

Thursday is Friend Day and as I mentioned we picked up sandwiches at the Mennonite grocery/bakery near Deborah's house. Well those were the best sandwiches. They make their own bread and all the ingredients were super fresh.  Several working men were in there getting their lunch to go and they sat at picnic tables on the property. We took our goodies back to Deborah's home and enjoyed a leisurely lunch in the country.

Friday is always my grocery day and I am stock piling things for our week at the beach. Marvin tells me we can just go to the grocery store there but everything is higher down there and the CROWDS. I like having lots of snacks and goodies that we only have on vacation. This week I plan to make some things to take along.  Marvin and I watched an old movie after dinner last night....13 Days. When I say old it is not THAT old but it is about the Cuban Missile Crisis. Kevin Costner was the star of the movie as Kenny O'Donnell, advisor to  President Kennedy.   This movie brought back many memories for me. I was in second grade when this happened and I remember the fear and apprehension that gripped the nation. I recall my parents talking with their friends about bomb shelters (whether they should build one) and they all agreed that if a bomb took everyone out, would you even want to live after that? They decided to put their trust in the Lord. They sent us to school every day and we went on with our lives. I told Marvin that in this day and time, parents would have kept their children home with them in such a crisis.  I know I would have wanted mine with me if a bomb was coming!! And living in the south we were closer to the missiles in Cuba. My husband lived in Savannah and he said their school practiced walking to the train station to get on a train to leave the area. Although it would have been too late by the time the missiles were launched to do anything so the practices were rather futile. I guess we all just wan to have a plan that we think will work.  And when Walter Cronkite told us it was ALL CLEAR...we were glad!! And did I say how much I miss Walter Cronkite????

Today is Saturday. We slept in a bit and it is supposed to be in the high 90s today so we will stay inside. I plan to do some chores this morning and then work on my new cross stitch project this afternoon. We have an outdoor wedding tomorrow at six pm so I am hoping the temps will be a bit more moderate by that time!  Have a good weekend friends.

7 comments:

Terri D said...

You had a busy week! I really like Harry Connick Jr. Bet the concert was great! Getting ready for vacation and all the packing takes time and (for me) a serious list! We'll be doing that next week. I miss the integrity of Walter Cronkite. Amen.

Heather said...

What a busy week! Sounds like a good one, though!

Mari said...

I miss Walter Cronkite too.
You made me laugh with the story of having the Grand kids over on Thursday night. Sounds like something I would do!

Mildred said...

I look forward to following along your new cross stitch project. I hope the temps will be tolerable for the wedding. We were driving thru Clermont late yesterday aft. and saw glimpses of an outdoor wedding on the town square. Have a blessed day.

Arlene Grimm said...

Heather you are probably too young to remember Walter Cronkite but for you other ladies, I think I would feel so reassured to hear him read the news in this crazy world. Imagine that...they just read the news. No comments...just the facts. The only time his emotion was apparent was when he read the wire that stated President Kennedy had died. And it is hot here again today, maybe a shower will cool things off before the wedding this evening. It is Katie's wedding, the young lady we had the shower for last month. Off to church now!!

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

So exciting that you got to see Harry Connick Jr.! Love that guy! He was in Mobile, but by the time I heard about it, the concert was slap sold-out! Glad you got your ticket dates straight. Wouldn't that have been the saddest thing ever to have missed it?

Arlene Grimm said...

Leslie Anne, Harry mentioned that his father is from Mobile so I am sure the tickets there sold out in a heartbeat!! And yes, we would have been kicking ourselves if we had missed it.