Followers

Friday, July 29, 2016

A Happy Accident

How many of you remember Bob Ross? The guy with the wild hair who painted landscapes on PBS many years ago? I think some re runs are still being broadcast because one of my nieces stated that her young children LOVE to watch Bob Ross on tv and it gives her 30 minutes of free time. To get back to the subject....he had a quote that I liked, There are no mistakes in painting, just happy accidents. He felt that errors just gave you the opportunity to be creative.

Well I had an opportunity to be creative this week. I am a seasoned cross stitcher but every now and then I mess up big time. Wednesday was one of those days. I have been working on a sampler for about two months and I was nearing the end of my stitching when I realized I was off ONE COUNT. One count in a sampler no less aud the mistake would be obvious if I did not do something.  Here is how the sampler is supposed to look according to the pattern.

My one count off mistake would mean that the top portion of the left side would not fit in the sampler. I was tempted to toss the whole thing I was so aggravated with myself. Then Bob Ross whispered in my ear and I set out to solve my problem....

Here is how I solved my problem. I am not 100% happy with it but it will do. In cross stitch you stitch from the middle of the project out....so accidents can happen, especially if you use linen and you did not count the right number of squares.  I think this was a reminder for me that no matter how long you have been stitching, you can still make a mistake.

Now I am working on this project...

I have wanted to do the Prairie Schooler four seasons for many years and just never got around to it. Now is the time. I love stitching with autumnal colors...they are so beautiful!

And I am also working on a baby bib for another great niece who is to arrive in August. Her name will be ELLA and she is the first grandchild for my brother in law, William and his wife, Barbara. To say they are excited is an understatement.

I am doing her name in the Fairy pattern ....in fact her name is Ella because her mama loves the Disney princesses! If the baby had been a boy, he would have been Luke, for Luke Skywalker.  I have plenty of stitching to keep me busy. I am also working on a Georgia Tech Football Door Hanger for this fall. It will be displayed on our front door on GA Tech game days.  I am going to enjoy the first weekend we have had nothing to do since June! July was a very busy travel month for us so I am looking forward to a leisurely weekend.

13 comments:

Sandy said...

I do remember Bob Ross and that saying. He would be so proud of you. I know we are hard on ourselves and when we mess up it is hard for us to be happy with the finished product, but I am serious Arlene. I like it better!!!!!
That fairy bib is going to be so cute.

Jan said...

Your sampler looks great! I have the same problem with my cross stitching from time to time!

Susan Graben said...

To my untrained eye, all I see is that you swapped the mirror side and replaced it with a 2016 design. Only those who do cross stitch could have seen the problem....

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Ladies...I am going to be more careful in the future. Maybe stitching and watching tv is not the best combo for me.

Terri D said...

And that is exactly why I don't do cross stitch! I have no patience, Arlene. None...in spite of loving Bob Ross and his happy little clouds!! :) You are SO gifted.

Arlene Grimm said...

Believe me Terri I was mad as a wet hen!!

Mrs.T said...

Arlene, I love your solution! I actually think it looks better your way. Such a nice way to include the date.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thank you Mrs T....I guess I needed a lesson in humility.:)

Barbara said...

I remember those painting lessons too and I think they are still on. I know I've seen him lately but not sure if it was PBS or not. Even with his help I couldn't paint.

Arlene Grimm said...

Barbara, I enjoyed watching him but I felt his paintings were a big generic.

Mildred said...

It has happened to me too. It turned out very well. Hard to believe the holidays are not that far away. I am a huge fan of Autumn and I love your fall thread colors. My new neighbor, age 6, is named Ella as well as my great niece!

Arlene Grimm said...

Mildred, so glad to see you visiting Nagaland today. I have missed you so much!! We will have an Ella and an Ellis in our family. It could get confusing. Growing up my grandmother had a friend named Ella but in my part of north Ga everyone said, Eller. My grandmother Lena was Lener. I hated that...such pretty names but I realize it is an old English way of pronouncing those names that has held on in the mountains.

Gina said...

Sometimes mistakes turn out to be beautiful! I love what you did with your sampler. It is perfect!