Followers

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Changes in the Blogosphere

I have been blogging for about ten years now. I had an old blog I deleted and now I wish I had not tossed it into the void.  My blog brings so much to my life. Not only does it allow me to indulge in writing, it has allowed me to meet so many wonderful ladies all across the United States, a few across the pond and one down under.  My blog roll changes periodically as some bloggers take a break or they decide to leave blogging behind. I try to fill my blog roll with ladies who blog regularly as I know I enjoy sitting down to read my blogs each morning with my coffee.  One of my friends at church shared with me that her mother reads my blog each day and she is not happy when I am on a blogging break. That touched my heart in a big way. I do try to blog each day except Sunday because I know consistency in posting is  important.

The first big change I noted in blogging began when people realized they could make money from their blogs. Some blogs I really enjoyed went from being  helpful posts to commercials for products. I could live with that but I found that I was removing many of these blogs from my blog roll.

I am seeing another change in the blog world with younger bloggers. Many are adding Vlogs to their post or  they are doing only videos on You Tube.  I can see that might be a trend with the younger bloggers because they are well, YOUNG!! As I have said before, I have a face for blogging and not Vlogging. I am going to be honest here and say that some bloggers need to stick to blogging. I think you really have to have a good deal of talent to do Vlogs that people want to watch.  It takes a lot of technical skill to put the video together with all the editing that is needed. We are so used to watching television that we expect excellence if you want us to watch your Vlog. I am hoping some of us will keep old time blogging alive.

I have really enjoyed Mrs Erica as she blogs online and at You Tube. She does a lot of fashion and homemaking posts that I have enjoyed. Because I had watched so many of her Vlogs, You Tube recommended SamatHome518.  Well it turns out I LOVED Sam's videos as well. Sam also has a blog called We Bought A Farm. I added her to my blog roll so go and visit. Sam and her husband are young marrieds who live in upstate New York. They bought a 20 acre farm with a farm house that had good bones but needed lots of work. I love watching their home updates on You Tube. She and Josh also like to travel to the Cape Cod area for vacations and I have been able to travel via arm chair with them. That area of the country is on my Bucket List for future travel.

I will share a walking tip with you. I try to get 10,000 steps a day on my vivofit. Well it has been as hot as Hades here in NoAla the last month so I have been doing a lot of walking here in my house. I walk a bee line from my front door to my back door. Well I  have found that if I watch a VLOG on my iPad while walking, I get in lots of steps without boredom!! So far I have only walked into something one time!! So you might want to try that if you do not like to feel like a hamster on a wheel while you are walking. Another tip a friend shared with me, is to get up and walk during the commercials while watching tv. You would be amazed at how many steps you can get during a commercial. It seems the commercials are longer than the tv shows.

Today is a nice leisurely Saturday. I have plans to get creative and I am hoping for no mistakes, or happy accidents.


12 comments:

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Hello Arlene, yes i can see a change in blogging and it's been almost 4 years. Blogging is a lot of work and can get stressful at times with trying to have a regular schedule blogging , answering back comments and then visiting your blog friends and commenting on their blog posts. But like you I love talking with different people from all over the globe and you are one of them! I love looking at your photos on Instagram too.

Sometimes if I can't do a blog post I enjoying just sharing photos on IG it's fun and easier when you don't have time for blogging.

Have a wonderful weekend.

Julie

Arlene Grimm said...

Julie, I need to do a post encouraging everyone on Instagram to share their tags. I follow a lot of my blog friends on Instagram and I also enjoy it.

Mildred said...

Hi Arlene, We are enjoying a good rain this Sat. afternoon. I admire you so much for the walking you do each day. I certainly wish I had kept up with my steps this last week! lol Boy, am I sore!

I started blogging in late 2008 after mother died. Many of the very first blog friends I enjoyed so, have drifted off the radar and I miss them very much.
I am not into vlogs much. For the most part, my blog friends are like family that I enjoy "visiting" with - even if it's day where all we do is say "hi."

I am so grateful for my blog friends and their prayers for us over the years. God definitely has a hand in connecting us as Christian sisters!

Terri D said...

Our daughter-in-law is venturing into Vlogs. It's not something I have any interest in. I've moved my blog twice. Started on Yahoo360 and it went under so I moved to Multiply, which also went under. I hope Blogger is around for a long, long time!

Arlene Grimm said...

Mildred and Terri, I am old school. I would like to be a bit more tech savvy to dress up my blog a bit. One of my MOPS moms does this for a fee. I have thought of asking her to help me get it a bit more organized etc. But then it is JUST for me and it works perfectly well as it is. I could use that extra money for a massage.

Sandy said...

Arlene, your blog looks just fine as it is. I have always loved toying around with decorating them, but I am one of those that rather spend my money other ways too. For now, if I can't do it myself, it will just be.

I really like just life blogs. I enjoy reading them...always have. I don't like the commercial part of it. That is not what drew me in, but I can't blame some of them who have obviously made money with them and hopefully bettered their lives. One that I loved and followed for years inspired me in many ways. She has written a book which was basically everything she had written in her blog for years. Her blog is really not very interesting anymore, but I know it allowed her to be a stay at home mom which is great.

I tend to read daily only those that are not commercial. I just like the community of ladies.

Arlene Grimm said...

Sandy I feel the same way. I kind of miss one particular blogger who just blogged and now it is her business. I understand but it is not the same. And hey, as long as my massage therapist is in business and purses are still for sale, my blog will remain as is.lol

Barbara said...

The heat has interfered with my exercise too. I even wait until evening to do my grocery shopping. I'm blogging less with the Grand Girl here but I find on the weekends I want to burn the phone wires - or internet beams, as the case may be. It is the old, I need adult conversation, reaction to a day with children. Hahaha. As life changes, it stay the same.

Arlene Grimm said...

Barbara I certainly understand being side tracked by the grands!! We finally got some rain here and it is only in the 80s!! A cold front.lol

Mari said...

Yes, I've seen a change in blogging too. I agree that I like to keep in touch with people and read about their lives. That's why I blog and why I enjoy your blog!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Mari! I rely on my blog friends for all their knowledge, friendship and prayers.

Gina said...

Too cute! A face for blogging and not vlogging! (my spellcheck keeps putting flogging!) ♥