Followers

Tuesday, July 5, 2016

Movie Review, Independence Day Resurgence

I have always been a big fan of Independence Day. My kids would get quite aggravated with me as I insisted on viewing it every July 4th.  So you can imagine my excitement when I heard that the sequel would be released on the 20th anniversary of this movie.

Marvin and I were alone yesterday so we decided to take in the early viewing at the local theater. Well all I can say is that you should just save your money and watch it at the Dollar Theater or on tv. It was not a total waste of time. The special effects were very good but the plot was less than impressive.  Twenty years after the alien invasion, the world has bonded together to use alien technology for good. And there has been no war in the 20 years as facing annihilation changed the thought processes of the nations. Sela Ward is the president. Steven Hiller( Will Smith) was killed in a test flight but his picture is displayed predominantly in the White House. Former president Thomas Whitmore is a broken man...physically and mentally.David Levinson is at work using Alien Technology to improve the world. His father, Julius, has written a book, How I Saved the World.:) Judd Hirsch is one of my favorite characters in this film.  But the focus is on the young pilots. Dylan Hiller, the step son of Steven Hiller, is the lead pilot now along with the cute Liam Hemsworth( Gail from Hunger Games). And Patty Wh itmore is no longer a cute little girl. She is engaged to Jake Morrison( Hemsworth) and she is also a speech writer for the current president.

The aliens arrive much as they did before but their numbers have increased and they are after the earth's core. The citizens of earth have very little time to save their planet.  But of course they do! Marvin and I both had trouble figuring out certain plots. It is hard for me to remember that it is just  a story.:)  Jeff Goldblum's wife is no where in sight and there is a French woman who adds very little to the plot but apparently she is his love interest.  And both the french woman and Patty Whitmore could have used a good shampoo. Honestly their hair looked a mess. :)    And I always wonder where they obtained gasoline to drive across the desert....that bothered me in the original movie as well. While technology had abounded apparently most people are still driving cars fueled by gasoline. What is up with that???

So if you want to see this movie, go but be warned.  I will not be purchasing this movie when it comes out on DVD.

7 comments:

Heather said...

Good to know! I had thought about seeing it, but we don't go to the theater much anyway, so we will probably wait, or skip it. Thanks for the review!

Arlene Grimm said...

Heather, just my view point but wish I had waited for it to go to the local Dollar Theater.

Terri D said...

I heard it was pretty bad, as sequels are so much of the time. Thanks for the review. We LOVE the original and won't waste money or time on this one.

Arlene Grimm said...

Terri, I know you are an Independence Day fan as I am so I wanted to warn you!!:)

Gina said...

Arlene, my daughter saw it and fell asleep during the movie. That speaks volumes to me! Such a shame - I really enjoyed the first one.

Mari said...

I love the original too, but had heard this was not a good one. Thanks for letting us know!

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

Thanks for the warning. Like you, I've always loved the original Independence Day and first watched it in a theatre filled with Air Force guys on Independence Day. Talk about a rowdy, fun crowd! Anyway, I've been itching to go to the movies lately, but absolutely none of them appeal to me at all. Such a sad state of the arts community.

Hope you had a happy holiday anyway!