Followers

Monday, July 18, 2016

The Weekend

Marvin took Friday off so we could drive to north Georgia( noGa). We had a 9 am meeting with our contractor  on Saturday morning so we knew we did not want to get up at o dark thirty and drive three hours. When we arrived on Friday evening, my mother and my sisters had prepared a lovely meal with all the good things Marvin enjoys. Truly my mother and my sisters put Cracker Barrel or any other country cooking restaurant to shame. We had country fried steak, creamed corn, mashed potatoes, fried okra and sautéed zucchini.  For dessert we had a brown sugar cake with cream cheese frosting. Oh my it was delicious.

We were all a little anxious Friday evening as Bruce was on duty at a Black Lives Matter protest in Dalton. Bruce is a deputy sheriff in Whitfield County.  Bruce reported that it was a very orderly protest and the Dalton Police Department had prepared hotdogs and cold drinks for the marchers.  One of the best things about living in a smaller town is that for the most part, the people really care about each other.

Early Saturday morning Marvin and Bruce met with our contractor, Mont and his "dozer man" Mike. The first order of business is to complete the road to the property and then it will be time to get a foundation started.

Here is a picture of our recent addition....a connector to the main road. As soon as Mont gets a building permit we will have an address! That will make it seem very real! Our address will be on the OLD CCC Camp Road. This road was built by the Civil Conservation Corp back in the old days.

We left soon after our meeting as we had to be back in Decatur for Sunday. On the way home we stopped at Big Daddy's in Stevenson, Alabama to gas up and get a snack. I noticed that they had some YETI cups for sale. I have been wanting one since I purchased one for Marvin for Christmas. He loves his! They keep coffee hot for hours as well as keeping a cold drink cold. Marvin drinks coffee until lunch time then switches to ice water.   So I was using mine this morning and forgot that  they keep coffee really hot...oops...burned tongue.  Hopefully I have learned my lesson.

We had to be back in Decatur for Sunday because we had to prepare communion at church and I was signed up  for the nursery.  So it was a busy day. Preparing communion for two big Sunday morning services with just a short break between services is quite a challenge. So the next time you have a communion service at your church, say a prayer for those who prepare it. It is a labor of love for Marvin and myself.  Then after helping prepare communion, I had to work with the three and four year olds. Let's just say by the time I got to lunch I was pretty tired. The Sunday Afternoon nap was looking better and better.

We always have lunch with our friends, Barry and Sharon. We were discussing a Christmas event to be held in Nashville and we decided to get tickets to see Home Free's Christmas Concert. You may have seen the music video of them singing God Bless the USA over the July 4th weekend. Lots of people on my Facebook Feed were sharing their rendition of the Lee Greenwood hit.  So now I have a Christmas event to look forward to in December.  And can you believe we re already making plans for DECEMBER? This year is flying by!!

And while we were having a busy weekend, the Roberts family was on a camping trip to Kentucky and Indiana.

Here they are in Mammoth Cave. Looks rather spooky doesn't it?  Todd and Amelia are sharing their love of camping with the kiddos.

And now it is Monday and I am looking forward to picking up my favorite six year old tomorrow. Miss Margaret is coming to spend the week with us. I am off to the market this morning to get all the food stuffs she requested.:) As any good Nana would do!!

7 comments:

Sandy said...

Supper sounded wonderful and I know it is hard to wait on that little cabin, but when they actually start it will be hopping then.
There is joy in serving and many miss out on that joy, but Sunday afternoon naps are often a must on those busy days.
I have been quite busy...hoping to pop in on that little blog tonight with some updates.

Terri D said...

Oh, what fun you will have this week with sweet Margaret!! Please share lots of photos with us! It's hard to believe how fast this year is going and Christmas really will be here before we are ready for it. Getting your official address will be a great jump-start for getting the work started!! That meal you were welcomed with sounds scrumptious (except for the okra)!

Arlene Grimm said...

Sandy I look forward to catching up with you!! And Sunday naps are mandatory here at Nagaland. Terri, I like okra but it has to be fried crispy for me to eat it.

Linda said...

You are one busy lady!!!
We used to prepare communion at the First Christian Church. Louis Dean would bake the bread and we arrived early to put it all together and fill the tiny cups. There's a lot more that goes into than you would think. I never take communion for granted any more!

Arlene Grimm said...

Linda, there is a lot more to that job than I ever realized. Some ladies in the church bake our bread and keep it in the freezer at the church. I just finished laundering the linens from yesterday. You are right, we will never think that everything "just appeared".

Mari said...

How exciting to see the property getting ready for work!
My hubby is an elder and they take turns preparing communion, so I know how much work it can be!
Have fun with Miss Margaret!

Arlene Grimm said...

Mari, Marvin is a deacon and he is in charge of communion and baptisms. We take the job very seriously. I hope I am up to my company...Katy says she has been talking about it all week.