Followers

Friday, July 1, 2016

Visitors from Around the World

This week must be my Global Week.  As I mentioned yesterday I had lunch with my friend, Tara, who now lives in Ireland.

Not a great picture as there was quite a glare in the window but I love it just the same.  We had such a good time catching up with Tara.

Tara is married to a special guy who has ties to my home town of Chatsworth, Georgia. His family owns the local funeral home and the Peeples family have been dear friends to the Tankersleys for many years.  Scott's grandfather moved to Decatur many years ago and I met Scott when he and Tara had just joined First Bible Church. We were both tickled to find we had a "connection". At that time Scott and Tara were newly weds and shortly after they became the parents of twins then added another son to the family. Scott was an attorney, Tara was a speech pathologist and they felt the call to the Mission Field. After much prayer and soul searching they ended up in Ireland.  With a name like Tara you would think they would fit right in!! But cultures are different and there was much for the Slate family to learn about ministering to a country that has lost its way in the faith department. Like much of Europe, the churches are empty and the people see no need for God.  Now they are going to apply become citizens of Ireland so they will have a dual citizenship.   I always find other countries interesting and especially Ireland because I have some roots there! Regarding Great Britain leaving the EU...they were really concerned about protecting their borders. After being told to take in refugees who they knew nothing about they were concerned. They will still take refugees but they will have to be screened etc. Also Great Britain and German prop up the EU and it will be interesting to see what happens to the EU. The people in Ireland are very surprised at Donald Trump being in the running for president.  And what do Tara's teens think about the USA? After living in Ireland for so long they think America is over the top. Life in Ireland is much lower key. When we were getting ready to leave I mentioned that I had to go home and cook dinner for a friend who has illness in her family. Tara said that if you take dinner or any treat to your Irish neighbor they wonder what you are up to!! And they feel they must reciprocate right away!   So there is a little view of Ireland for you. I could have sat and talked with Tara all day. She is such a sweetheart and we were close friends when they lived in Decatur. I miss her.

And some visitors from China arrived in Atlanta this week.

Nancy's parents are home from China for a month and they will be staying with Charles and Nancy so they can love on Audrey. While Nancy is Korean, her parents teach at a school in Shanghai, China. They hope to retire in the next five years or so and now they are considering a move to the Atlanta area.

Who could not resist this sweet baby girl? I warned Charles that the Kims had better not get all of Audrey's sugar while they are here.

Hey, I know I am glad I live close enough to get my Audrey Sugar whenever I want it! The Kims have to settle for FaceTime when they are in China.

And it is the first Friday in July! How did that happen? This year is speeding by at lightning pace. Marvin and I are hoping to go and see the new Independence Day Resurgence this weekend. I loved the movie, Independence Day  and I hope the new one is good too!

4 comments:

Julie's Lifestyle said...

Hi Arlene, yes I was saying the same thing how time is just flying by. I too can't believe it's already the 1st of July. I feel like once July 4the comes the summer just flies by.
Take care and have a nice weekend and a happy 4th of July!!! :)

Terri D said...

The time just does go faster and faster. I'm anxious to hear some reviews on the Independence Day movie. We loved the first one, but always have reservations about how good a sequel will be. Please keep us posted!

Barbara said...

How fun for the other grandparents. Children cannot be loved too much.

doodles n daydreams said...

Audrey is so cute, no wonder her other grandparents want to stay with her. Have a great weekend.

Diana