Followers

Tuesday, August 9, 2016

A Book or Two

There has been a lot of buzz about this new Harry Potter book. Well for one thing, it is not really a book. It is the script of a play that is being done in London. JK Rowling along with two playwrights came up with this story of Harry as an adult.

The play opens with the last scene of the final Harry Potter book as well as the movie. Harry and Ginny along with Ron and Hermione are at Platform 9 and 3/4 seeing their children off on the Hogwarts Express.  This play focuses on Harry's struggles to father a child who he feels is very different from himself. And Harry is a bit resentful that Albus does not realize that he is lucky to have a father at all. Draco Malfoy and his son are predominant characters in this book. I always felt that Draco really wanted to be Harry's friend but his envy got in the way.  This story is explored in The Cursed Child.Time turners are back and I have to say I never liked them in the first place. And finally, Harry's scar is hurting for the first time since the battle of Hogwarts. What does that mean? Several readers stated that the book was rather like bad fan fiction. I would not go so far as to say that but I do think that it would have been better if Ms Rowling had just sat down and written us a book on these themes. Really Harry needs JK's pen to make him truly come alive. I have heard that tickets to this play cost $900 each. I love Harry but I would never pay that much to see this play as it is written. I gave it four stars on Good Reads, mainly because it was good to read about my old friends again but please do not think it will be as good as the previous books because you will be disappointed.



I also read this book, When God Doesn't Fix It by Laura Story. I gave it four stars. I think we all struggle with areas of our lives where we feel that God should step in and make every thing ok. But it doesn't always work like that does it?  I was unfamiliar with Laura Story. She wrote the songs, Indescribable and Blessings, which I was familiar with however. After a year of marriage to her high school sweetheart, he was diagnosed with a brain tumor on his pituitary gland which was pushing on his adrenal gland causing him to grow an inch and making him sleepy all the time. At first they thought he might have narcolepsy but by the time Martin was diagnosed the tumor was threatening his eyesight as well. The doctor said, five days in the hospital and he can go home. Well three months later they were home and Martin needed full time care.  That was ten years ago and Martin still struggles with routine things. He has NO short term memory requiring him to ask Laura the same question over and over. Being the impatient person I am, that would drive me crazy. And Laura shares that she is not always gracious so I appreciated her honesty.  This book encourages the reader to look for God and his promises in every situation. We are reminded that we were never promised there would be no trials in life but we are promised that God will be there with you.  Laura's trial inspired her to write the song, Blessings. Here is one of my favorite verses of that song,
                       What if a thousand sleepless nights
                       Are what it takes to know you're near
                       What if the trials of this life
                       Are your mercies in disguise?
I think we can all relate to those sleepless nights when our mind races with the "what ifs".  This book is a keeper and it is one I will read again.

So two good books in one week...not a bad week for a reader. Oh and I looked up the "real" name for Boopie and it is Berwick by Anchor Hocking. I think I like Boopie better!

8 comments:

Heather said...

I was wondering about that new Harry Potter book. Thanks for the review! I will have to look for the Laura Story book. It sounds interesting!

Sandy said...

The Laura Story book sounds interesting. Both of my kids read the new book immediately. I never read any of them. I know that is hard to believe...Maybe one day I will.

Arlene Grimm said...

Heather, I wanted to buy it to add to my collection but really you can just wait and get it from the library to see if you want to purchase it. It s not on a par with the other books. Sandy, I struggle with Baylor's autism. We have prayed that he would progress and those prayers have not been answered the way we want them to be answered. So a lot of this book really reminded me that I am not God and I do not know what is best for Baylor but He Does.

Sandy said...

I am sad to hear about Baylor. Autism is a difficult thing. I see it at church and was beginning to see it more and more at school. We have a couple in our small group who has a son between the ages of my two children and while he is so smart, he really will never be able to live on his own or at least I don't think so. Those things in life just don't get the answers here on earth. There are many people who are suffering with things. My daughter worked with a lady who came in one day a week. The company let her work from home the other 4. Her husband has ALS and has basically been a vegetable for years with a feeding tube. His eyes move so they know he has thoughts.

Gina said...

Arlene, I love Laura Story's story and music. She has such a strong testimony. I didn't realize that she had written a book but I will look into it. {HUGS}}

Terri D said...

I have no interest in the Harry Potter book/play. The Laura Story book does sound interesting. Thanks for the reviews!

Mari said...

I never knew that bout Lura Story. I like her music, I thin I'd like the book too. I loved the Harry Potter books, but have heard others say they didn't care for this book for the same reasons you mentioned.

Arlene Grimm said...

Sandy, I hope that Baylor progresses but if he does not he is still a precious blessing. Gina, you need to read this book. It is so encouraging. Terri, I have some other friends who are not Harry lovers so I understand. I am such a kid that I totally got caught up in that story! Mari, I think we would all like more Harry but after reading this book, I think it is better to just look back with fondness.