Followers

Friday, August 5, 2016

Are You Ready for Some Football?

Here in the South we like to show our team spirit on Game Days. And in Alabama you yell Roll Tide or War Eagle! But being from Georgia, we are still loyal to Georgia Tech, the school my husband got three degrees from...he is Dr Grimm thanks to GT.  In Georgia, Tech is usually the underdog in our state's football rivalry. The University of Georgia Bulldogs beat us regularly at out annual matchup in November.

When I had a chance to make a Football Doorhanger, I chose to root for Tech. As Marvin said, "We will be the only house in the subdivision with a Tech Doorhanger." And he may be right.

I started out by painting my football various shades of brown. One thing I have learned in painting is that shading is important.

Then I penciled in the GT logo I had printed to use for a pattern.

Here it is...almost done. I did a burnt umber wash over the whole thing...I think it makes the football look more rustic and realistic. I am going to also say that I was not 100% happy with my logo lettering but I had to tell myself what Stacy at paint class reminds us. People will be viewing this from their cars and they will not see all the imperfections that are apparent close up. When you are OCD like me, those reminders help. I tend to keep on painting and trying to "fix" it when I should just walk away. So I hope that piece of advice encourages you to just have fun with painting.

And here it is hanging on the back door for now.  I ordered some Georgia Tech ribbon from Etsy but it was gros grain and it did not really work well with my bow but I added it anyway.   Come the first GT ball game, this football will be hanging on our front door.

7 comments:

Heather said...

It looks great! Better than I could do!

Sandy said...

It turned out great.
We closed on Mom's house today. Yippie!!!That is the last of business from my stepdad's passing...now, I am just hoping she can find a way to settle down and enjoy life with her grandkids.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Heather and Sandy! And I am so glad you are finished with real estate Sandy!! Maybe you can just enjoy the last days of summer.

Mildred said...

I love it! Kinda gets me in the mood for fall football and I am not a fan of any team! lol

Anonymous said...

That is so cute!! What kind of material did you use? Wood? also, what are the laces made of? What kid of paint did you use? Please give more details. I would love to make one of those.
It looks like so many I have seen for sale on Etsy - at quite hefty prices.

Sarah

Arlene Grimm said...

Mildred, I love college football. Football and basketball are the only sports I really understand.lol

Arlene Grimm said...

Sarah, I purchased this football cut out from a local Parks and Rec that does painting classes I believe it is masonite board. I painted the laces on and I used Acrylic paint from Hobby Lobby.( Just the one dollar bottles so not expensive.) I shaded the laces to make them look a bit more real. I also just used some wire for Hobby Lobby for the hanger. Ribbon or Tulle to dress it up a bit. Hope this helps...feel free to email me at agrimm55@hotmail.com if you have more questions.