Followers

Sunday, August 21, 2016

Finishing

I spent some time Saturday "finishing" a cross stitch piece on my own.  I have so many framed pieces and really how many do I really need? ( We won't go there...)  After watching Vonna on The Twisted Sister on Flosstube, I got the courage to attempt a finish on my own. Mine will never be up to Vonna's standards but I will keep trying.  Vonna makes a cute finish called a trifold but I knew I could not do that so I modified it a bit.

Here is my finished piece of cross stitch...

It is Four Seasons by Prairie Schooler. I wanted to be able to display it for a short while so I decided it did not need framing.  I have admired Sandy( I Majored in Home Economics) as she finished her Little House cottages and came up with a nifty display each month. So taking tips from Vonna and Sandy I got busy in my craft room.

I started with one of these "boxed" pieces that you can readily find at Ross or TJ Maxx. I paid $6 for this one. I spread Tacky Glue over it and brushed it out to make it smooth.

Then I added pieces of scrapbook paper. Two things I learned...be careful how you cut your paper. I meant for my chevrons to go the other way. OOPs. And I should have centered the paper with the polka dots. Trying to keep a straight edge on my paper cutter was easy but it would have looked better with dots that were intact!!  Then I folded the cross stitch and glued it to the top. I know I know that is cheating but hey it worked for me. I did not get it folded as neatly as I would like so next time I am going to do a running stitch around it to help with the folding. Then i can clip it and remove it when I am finished.  The things you learn by trial and error!

Here it is with a perky black and white ribbon as an accent.  I purchased it at Hobby Lobby and it is wired so it will hold its shape. Once I am finished with this season I will store it in a box so it stays dust free until next year.   I got the black and white ribbon idea from perusing a lot of Mackenzie Childs designs.  I am working on my Winter piece right now and I plan to display it like this too.

So now I am going to be looking for those clearance 'art boxes" so I can keep them for future projects. They come in all sizes and are perfect for a small project.

I hope you like it warts and all....one of the things I like about bloggers is that they are ready to share their ideas and their "happy accidents".  Don't let your OCD keep you from having fun with crafting. I could easily go down that road but I am learning to lighten up in my old age.  And yes, I could not put it away so it is on my breakfast bar BECAUSE...
And we might even have some cooler temps this week here in NoAla so I am declaring it is Fall.

16 comments:

Jan said...

It looks great! I have some seasonal projects I may try this on. Thanks for sharing!

Barbara said...

Love the quote. So true.

Linda said...

I think your piece is awesome!!! No warts!!! Just PRETTY!!!
Yes, I am already so excited about September being just 10 days and a wake up away!!

Mildred said...

Autumn is my favorite season and I love this sampler. I love the way you framed it. When I posted about my new fall potpourri last week, I was scolded by the folks who are not ready to let go of summer! lol

I don't blame you; I would leave it out to enjoy, too!

Arlene Grimm said...

Ladies, you are so sweet!! Thanks for cheering me on. I hope the next one will benefit from my first time mistakes. And Hurray for Autumn. I read that this has been the hottest July on record and I believe it.

Terri D said...

Well, I think it looks great and would not have picked out the things you were concerned about. It sure looks perfect to me!! I really like the idea to do it that way and not pay for the framing, which is bulkier to display anyway. Nice!!

Cranberry Morning said...

It's definitely feeling fallish here in NW Wisconsin, Arlene. At 10:22 AM it's only 56 degrees and the humidity has dropped a lot. It's only a matter of time before we'll be using that snow plow! :-((

Arlene Grimm said...

Terri, thanks so much ...you are always so gracious!! Judy, it is 77 degrees here this am. Perfect walking weather.

Anonymous said...

I love your posts. we are having a little cooler weather for a few days here in N.y. Fall is so invigorating. The colors of Autumn are spectacular.
Thanks for sharing
Marion

Sandy said...

I love it Arlene. I have been at the cabin yesterday and today, so I was not able to brag until now. Fun!! I would leave it out too. Great work.

Gina said...

Arlene, I didn't even notice the chevrons before you mentioned it. Very nice. I love things that are unique! ♥

Hoping for cooler temps this week. The grandchildren are coming!

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

I love the way it looks, and wouldn't have noticed the sideways chevrons unless you had pointed them out! It has a cuteness about it that is kind of fun and flirty. Does that make sense? Anyway, thumbs up!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Leslie Anna...that is the look I was going for!! With all the scrapbook papers, you can really be creative.

Mrs.T said...

Oh, Arlene, I LOVE it.

I am very frugal (some would say cheap) and have never had any of my cross stitch pieces professionally framed. It just isn't that important to me. My hubby has made many of my frames.

That said I am always interested in other ways of finishing needlework pieces. This is a particularly nifty one! Thanks for sharing how you did it. Beautiful finish!

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

Hi Arlene,
I love your stitching and the pretty frame you made. It's just perfect for fall!
Hope you have a wonderful week.
Julie

Carol said...

What a fun finish, Arlene! I've found Vonna's tutorials to be incredibly helpful through the years, too--so nice of her to give up her free time to help us all become better finishers :)