Followers

Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Flosses and Peaches

I have had some quiet time here at home recently and I put it to good use by completing two baby bibs for Great Niece, Ella, who should be arriving any day now.

I put them in the mail last week along with a cute Christmas ornament that I picked up at Hobby Lobby. You cannot see it in this photo but there is a Santa hat on the top edge of the E.  I like to give Christmas ornaments to my great nieces and nephews so they will have ornaments of their own when they leave the nest one day. I did that for my own kiddos and I am doing it for my grands as well.

I told you all that I have been walking here in my home and looking at You Tube. Well thanks to another cross stitch addict, I found Floss Tube.  I have really enjoyed seeing other stitchers showcasing a project they are working on. Some will share how they store their fabric and flosses. So if you enjoy that sort of thing, check out Floss Tube. I am also addicted to Mrs Erica and Samathome518.  Really it is much better than watching tv these days. Though Marvin and I are enjoying the last season of the Inspector Lewis mysteries on PBS. We have watched Inspector Lewis since he was Morse's sidekick.  I also found a new mystery on PBS called Widower. The first episode was aired this week and I look forward to seeing how this one ends too!

My friend, Susan, took a trip to visit family in North Carolina and I helped cat sit while she was gone. So she brought me these as a thank you.

To me there are no better peaches than Carolina peaches. They are big and sweet and

they make the BEST peach cobblers.

Here is my easy peasy peach cobbler recipe.
Preheat oven to 400.
Melt one stick of butter and place in 13 by nine dish.
Peel your peaches and use 4 cups of sliced fresh peaches. I probably had a bit more than 4 cups.
In a small bowl, mix 1 cup whole milk, 1 cup self rising flour and 1 cup sugar. I added 1 1/4 cup since these were fresh peaches. Add 1/2 tsp almond flavoring.   Mix well and pour over the butter. Do Not Stir the batter with the butter!! Add peaches to the top of the batter and bake at 400 for 45 minutes or until brown. I check mine at the 30 minute mark.  I recently read that peaches and almonds are from the same family. I have always used almond flavoring to my peach ice cream as it boosts the peach flavor. I did it  with this cobbler and you cannot taste the almond, just the lovely peaches.

Welcome back to blogging, Elizabeth at Hidden Acres. She is on my Blogs I Read List and she made a lovely cherry pie that you might like to check out. She is a Michigan girl and she swears by the tart Michigan cherries for a perfect pie.

Today is errand day including a trip to my favorite place, the library!! Maybe I can find a good book today. I live in hope.

7 comments:

Sandy said...

Well, you have given me something else to eat my time. I will definitely check out FlossTube.
Peach cobbler is one of my favorite things in life. Looks good.

Elizabeth said...

I agree! Nothing like Carolina peaches! My grandmother made cobbler this way, and it still remains my favorite. Also, your cross stitch is lovely. I knit, but seeing project like yours make me want to branch out to thinner fibers. Beautiful!
Thank you for the shout-out. Be sure to let us know what good book you find!

Terri D said...

Oh my goodness, I want some of that cobbler!! The bibs are so cute! I hope your family knows how lucky they are to have you!!

Arlene Grimm said...

Well there is very little peach pie left....I will have to walk a lot tomorrow. Sandy, I am obsessed with Floss Tube. The Twisted Stitcher has some tutorials in finishing that I plan to watch so I can do something besides frame everything!! Elizabeth, your pie looked great and I am not even a cherry fan. Terri come to Alabama and I will save you a bite of cobbler!! Thanks for the sweet comments on the bibs. They were fun to do.

Karen said...

The bibs for Ella are adorable! That cobbler makes me hungry.

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

This has got to be the same recipe for cobbler my aunt gave me years ago and I've been looking for it since she passed away last November! Thank you!!!! I can't wait to use it!

Mari said...

Your family is blessed to have your handcrafted gifts!
I love peaches and that cobbler looks wonderful. I agree on the tart Michigan cherries. That's how I make my cherry pie too.