Followers

Friday, August 19, 2016

Itching for Fall

I think I am officially finished with summer. I am ready for Fall.



Or Autumn if you prefer that term!! I was at Hobby Lobby yesterday picking up some items to finish off this little piece of cross stitch. After watching some tutorials on Floss Tube I think I can handle this project myself. While there I just took my time strolling down the Fall/Autumn Aisles, enjoying the pretty colors.  Then I stopped in at Kirklands and soaked up the eye candy there. I did purchase a small ceramic pumpkin with a G on it to sit by my kitchen sink. At Tuesday Morning, I found a great deal on Garden Flags...$5 for a pretty flag.  I picked up one with leaves on it...not too Fallish yet but a nice change from my Summer Flag.

Several of you asked for my recipe for Parmesan Chicken Fingers.  It is an easy recipe but time consuming. They are worth the trouble though!

I purchase Chicken Tenders for this recipe and I usually pick up two packages as these are great for lunches and left overs.

I begin this recipe early in the morning of the day I plan to make it. Take a large bowl, fill it with one quart of Buttermilk and place all the Chicken Tenders in the Buttermilk. This is a trick I learned years ago for great fried chicken....It really is worth the effort.

Let them soak all day in the fridge.

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees and  prepare your pans. I use the broiler pans that came with my stove for this recipe. A shallow pan worls best.  I line each pan with parchment paper or foil. Place enough vegetable oil in the pan to over the paper thinly.  Set Aside.

Put equal amounts of bread crumbs and parmesan cheese on a large piece of wax paper. Mix together. Take chicken fingers from the buttermilk and roll in crumb mixture.( You can put your crumbs in a zip lock bag and shake it if you wish. I prefer to just roll each piece myself.)  Place on prepared pan. When your pan is full, Melt one stick of butter and drizzle evenly over the chicken fingers. Place in Oven and bake for one hour.

I check mine after 45 minutes and keep an eye on them. Since I make two pans, I rotate them on the oven racks at 30 minutes. I have no real rationale for this, just seems to help them bake evenly.

Take the pan out of the oven and let it sit on the counter to cool for 20 to 30 minutes. This will help the breading cool and stay intact when you take the Chicken Fingers from the pan. I drain mine on paper towels to remove excess oil.  One thing I like about these chicken fingers is that I can prepare them about an hour before I complete my other courses, leaving me the oven for macaroni and cheese in our case!

I store the leftovers in the fridge and we eat them for lunch, a snack or another meal.  Amelia dropped by yesterday and had  one straight from the fridge. They are yummy.

And today is Friday...Happy Birthday to my youngest son, Charles. How did he get to be 33?

11 comments:

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

I might have mentioned before - we're still waiting for our summer..!

Sandy said...

My computer has been getting serviced, so I have been out of the loop for a few days. Missed it terribly. Don't like pecking out responses on my iPad. #firstworldproblemsforsure Your chicken fingers sound yummy. I will have to try it and your stitching is adorable. Can't wait to see what you did with it. I just took my sampler to be framed this week. I have very few places to choose from. FWB has really dried up in many ways. I knew it would be expensive, but wow...I need to go into that business.

Jedidja said...

I love the "borduurwerk" with autumn on it.

Terri D said...

Happy birthday to Charles! I actually copied your recipe yesterday, where to gave it to someone else (Mari, I think). Yum!! We won't feel Fall temps here until toward the end of October. Once the humidity goes away, Florida is delightful again until May/June. We DO have four seasons here, but they are much more subtle than "up north" and can easily be disguised as only two season unless you know what to watch for....

Elizabeth said...

It's too early for fall! I still need several months of sandals and fresh tomatoes. That turkey cross stitch would be perfect for our house! Haha! I've never soaked our chicken before frying it before. I will definitely be trying that!

Barbara said...

Yes. I'm ready too. My brain says the first day of school which used to be after Labor Day was the signal for fall. Down here in Texas it would still be warm for quite a while but if we waited we would have two weeks of fall and 3 days of winter before summer started all over again. So I just follow my own dreams and call it fall when the decorations start calling me.

Gina said...

Me too!!!! Love your cross stitch. The turkey looks like he's running away (smart!). Your chicken finger recipe looks simple and I am going to make them soon. Yum!

Mari said...

NOOOOOOOOO! We can not be talking about Fall yet. Summer is going too quickly. (You do know what comes after Fall, don't you? At least for us Michigan folk) :)
Happy Birthday to Charles.
I bought the ingredients for your chicken fingers today. They are on the menu for Monday.

Arlene Grimm said...

Y'all, I am behind today! Thanks for all the lovely comments. Mike, I will mail you some summer if I can put it in an envelop! Terri, it will not get cool here until late October or early November. I just want to say goodbye to the humidity. Sandy, I surely am blessed with Slate Gallery. They are very reasonable and I love visiting their shop. Jedidja, I always enjoy your visits and sweet comments. I will have to use Google Translator to see if I am correct in reading your comment. Elizabeth...flip flop weather will be here for a while but a girl can dream! Try that buttermilk trick. I learned it at a restaurant where I worked as a teenager. Barbara, my fall decor shows up little by little starting in September. I have told myself I am holding back this year. Gina, I think that turkey is funny too!! Rum Tom Turkey Run!!

Arlene Grimm said...

Mari...I am so sorry for you sweet folk who live in the frozen north. But us Southerners are burning up!! Hope you enjoy the chicken fingers.

Linda said...

I'm itching for fall too!!! It feels like fall here in Texas this week. Hard to believe, I know!
Your chicken dish sounds delicious!!