Followers

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

Progress

Good morning and time for a little house update.  This has been a slow process but hopefully things will pick up soon.

We first began discussing this endeavor back in June 2015. We had gone to visit our friends, Gary and Melinda, out in Las Vegas. We were sitting on their upper deck looking out to the lights of Las Vegas and we were discussing our Bucket Lists. Marvin always says he does not have one but when Melinda pressed him a bit, he admitted he would like to build a small house/cabin on our Chatsworth property. Before he revealed this dream, I had never taken him seriously when he spoke about a little house.  I began to think about it too. I have told Melinda that our guest room will be the Melinda Johnson suite since she was the impetus for the project.

We wondered if we could even build on the property as it was zoned agricultural. So I called my first cousin who is the tax commissioner in our county and she said that as long as we do not rent it out it would be fine.  We drew up some house plans and sent them out to contractors. In the mean time we had my cousin, Steve, work on the driveway into the property.

In December we found out that the plans we had for the house were a little too grand and we had to rethink our needs versus desires.  We came close to just calling the whole thing off. But one of the contractors we spoke with told us he had some small house plans and he would work with us to keep the budget in line.  So we chose a plan that is about 900 square feet with a nice front porch. Several people suggested we look at Tiny Houses but really, at our age climbing up and down out of a sleeping loft would be life endangering. Those tiny houses are cute but we wanted a place where we could have our friends come to visit and we wanted our children and their families to use it as a geta way.

But then more red tape...we had to get an acre rezoned  residential so we could put the house on the property at the correct distance from the property line. That was approved in May. In June we met with our contractor to set up dates to get started. And THIS WEEK, the heavy equipment arrived. The driveway will be finished and graveled and the big delivery trucks will be able to deliver the building supplies.

So here are some pictures that my sister, Kristi, took last night.

The driveway begins...

Putting in some drainage ...There were several low places that needed reinforcement.

Kristi says this will be a good walking road for us. Marvin told her it was a toll road. :)

It is a LONG road.

The site for the house needs some work too. You can see the pond here.

It is starting to look like a real road to a real place.

Kristi caught this picture of a rainbow as she was shooting.

So hopefully by next week the foundation will be in place. One thing I have learned about building. It takes much longer than you expect and it costs more than you think. Of course, it would probably go a bit faster if we were there to keep things rolling. We are so grateful for Bruce, who is our man on the ground. He has been so helpful. We owe him big time.

So the journey begins and hopefully it will have an ending before the end of this year.

12 comments:

Sandy said...

How exciting Arlene. That rainbow is a gift from God, that y'all are going to make some good memories there. I think our cabin in Dadeville is about the same size and it is ALL I want to have to keep up. When I go there I just want to relax and enjoy the family.

Arlene Grimm said...

Sandy, I thought the same thing about that rainbow. Thank you God for your blessings and thank you for a husband who made us live beneath our means so that we can do this!! I will not say I was always happy about that over the years but I am grateful that we are able to enjoy the fruits of our labors in our retirement years. And you are right...900 square feet is enough. Most of the time it will just be me and Marvin there. I really look forward to my front porch with a swing.

Angie said...

Oh how exciting! I cannot wait to follow along :)

Mrs.T said...

I had the very same thought about the rainbow ... God is blessing what you are doing there. Always a wonderful reminder that He keeps His promises. I am so happy for you and Marvin that you can have a place like this for a getaway. It's a dream of ours as well, but probably not too likely.

Heather said...

So exciting! I am looking forward to more pictures as progress continues!

Tina said...

Sounds like your small house is going to be just right! I'm so excited for you both. I had to laugh at your observation that a sleeping loft would be life endangering! I always think the same thing whenever I watch one of the tiny house shows on TV. Also thank you for the reminder to be thankful for our frugal husbands! I can get frustrated when mine reminds me of needs vs. wants, especially in this season of paying college tuition. But I know one day our retirement nest egg will be the better for it! Have a great day!

Terri D said...

I am so happy you are including us in this project so we can watch it all evolve right along with you (by picture is not as exciting as in person, but happy just the same!). That is a long road...but to paradise!!

Arlene Grimm said...

Thank you friends for all those lovely comments. I am happy to be able to share this journey with all of you.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I know you are so happy to see the progress and know it will become a reality. I'm happy for you too! It will be fun for all of us too! Sweet hugs, Diane

Mildred said...

I know how excited you both must be. It is a beautiful setting and how perfect that she captured a rainbow in one of the photos! God bless this project. I wish you so much happiness.

Gina said...

Arlene, I'm so excited for you! Your cottage will be nice and cozy! And the view will be priceless!

Barbara said...

Congratulations and way to go on chasing your dream. The pictures show some beautiful property and I think it will be so neat. Way to go.