Followers

Thursday, August 18, 2016

Soccer Season

With the temps still climbing into the 90s, the children are on the soccer field. Which means Nana and Grandpa are there for some of the games too. To be honest, I enjoy soccer more than baseball. It is pretty fast paced and it does not last as long. ( Do not turn me in for being a bad Nana...I have never been  a big sports fan.)

Here is Landon with his good friend, Reid.  They are on Team USA!

On the field...

And Landon in action....

I have another sports related picture that I want to show you...it is my big boy, Ben.
When Ben was a little boy he LOVED Dale Murphy. He collected his baseball cards and he watched the Braves every chance he got.  When Ben was about 8 he could say all the books in the Bible from Genesis to Revelation. Well my Grandmother Tankersley was so proud of him that she gave him ten dollars.  Ben was very excited...now he had enough money to purchase the Dale Murphy Power Alley poster. And that poster remained on the wall in his room for years.  Last Friday evening, Dale Murphy came to the Birmingham Barons ball game to sign autographs. Well my big boy was in line and got his autograph and shook Murphy's hand. Marvin and I were so happy for Ben. It is always nice when a dream becomes reality.  You may notice that Ben has on his Minnesota Viking Tee....with his Minnesota roots, he always enjoys giving a nod to the Vikings.

It is Friend Day so we are off to Panera for one of their delicious Summer Salads. Soon they will be changing to the fall menu so we want to enjoy the last bit of summer.

4 comments:

Terri D said...

I am not that "into" sports either and have no idea who Dale Murphy is, but I'm really happy for your Ben! That had to be so exciting! It is so great that you can get to the soccer games to see Landon play! We live 1,600 miles away from Tristan when he was growing up. Joe and I enjoy Panera for dinner now and then. I've never tried the summer salad, but will give it a look next time we go there!! I'm sure you enjoyed lunch with your friends!

Arlene Grimm said...

Terri, I went to many a basketball game when my kids played and I try to get to Kendall and Landon's games when I can but it is not my favorite thing. I understand long distance grandparenting as my parents and inlays were not able to see the kids play either.

Mildred said...

Great photos of Landon and Reid. I am so happy for Ben. You can share this story with him re Dale Murphy. When I met John 25 years ago, he was a little league umpire at Wills Park in Alpharetta. Dale Murphy lived in Alpharetta. He would come to watch his kids play. During the breaks, Dale would talk to John and was such a nice guy. Dale gave John his autograph for John to give to his mom. Dale's wife would lay down 2 or 3 blankets for all their children to eat their snacks on...must have cost a fortune at the concession stand!

Arlene Grimm said...

Mildred I will tell Ben your story. He has always admired Dale's skill in baseball and he respected his moral fiber. And I believe Dale has a special needs son...do you remember if this is true?