Followers

Tuesday, September 6, 2016

More Finishes

I spent a portion of the weekend working on finishing some of my smaller cross stitch projects. Again I have to give a big shout out to The Twisted Stitcher for her videos on Floss Tube that have encouraged me to give it a try!

My first project was the Winter Scene in Four Seasons by Prairie Cross Stitch.

Folding is still the hardest part of finishing in my opinion. This time I did a running stitch around my project before ironing the lines into place.


Here is the art box that I used to mount my project on! These come in all shapes and sizes and many can be found in the clearance aisle at TJ MAXX and Ross.

Here are the scrap book papers I chose to glue on the box.  And I found this pretty snowflake embellishment in the Christmas ornament aisle at Hobby Lobby.

Here it is  all completed!

And here it is with my Fall finish.  One thing I like about these boxes is that you can place them in an easel or they stand on their own.


Two of my Lizzie Kate finishes...

I like the fact that this box had the polka dotted sides...perfect with my finish.


I found this long narrow piece of wood at Hobby Lobby...It was perfect for the long October 31st piece. Of course it will need an easel to display it but that is ok.


And here they are all together. The color is a bit faded...too much flash I am afraid.  One of the tricks I learned from Vonna is to place your piece in a big ziplock bag after you have glued it and set a weight on it. I used one of my iron skillets. It just helps the glue to adhere and set up. I used Aleene's tacky glue. Of course you do this before you add the embellishments. I used my glue gun to add the bows and the snowflake.  

And for those of you who cross stitch, I found an online store, 123 Cross Stitch which offers some old patterns at a reduced price. I just ordered three more Prairie Schooler patterns that I had been looking for! One is a nativity scene that I have been wanting to stitch for years. Some old patterns can be found on EBAY but they are so pricy.  I ordered my patterns on Tuesday and they were here on Saturday!   Happy Stitching.

11 comments:

Tina said...

Love your finishes on these projects! I'm going to have to steal that idea from you as I'm determined to actually finish some of my projects this fall! They look fantastic and it's much more budget friendly than the cost of having them framed here where I live.

Jedidja said...

I love it! It is very beautiful. Is it hard to do?

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Tina...I find the scrap book paper is much easier to work with than fabric. Just do not use too much glue. I brush mine out with a paint brush. Jedidja, It is just folding and gluing. Folding perfectly is the hardest part. None of mine are perfect but I am ok with that.

Mildred said...

I love them all! It would be hard to choose a favorite.

Cranberry Morning said...

I wouldn't know where to begin with cross stitching, but i really like yours, especially that winter one. They're all so sharp, precise, and pretty.

Terri D said...

They all look just fantastic! What a fun way to finish your projects and display them. I love it.

Mrs.T said...

Oh, Arlene, what beautiful finishes! I need to try this with at least one of my unfinished projects. Does she give specific instructions in one of her videos?

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks y'all!! Mrs T...yes, Vonna you tube tutorials are very exact. I want to watch some more. She does a lot of finishing with sewing. I do not have a sewing machine any more but it makes me want one.:)

Carol said...

Just love your latest PS finish!! You are really going to town with your finishing, Arlene--everything looks lovely :)

Mari said...

You are doing a good job at finishing - I love this one! The snowflake is the perfect finishing touch.

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Carol, that means a lot coming from you!! Mari, I am always looking for embellishments now. Fortunately Hobby Lobby puts out Christmas early!