Followers

Friday, September 30, 2016

The Trusses Have Arrived

Yesterday the trusses for the roof of our little house arrived.  My sister, Leta, called to tell me she was in Eton getting her hair done and the truck with our trusses was pulled to the side of the road. The driver had seen a sign limiting the weight on the road to our building site and he was not going to break the law. Fortunately my first cousin, Brent, is the chief of police in Eton so he assured the driver that he could drive down the road as it was for construction purposes and he would not be repeatedly taking that weight up and down the road. Problem solved.

And the driver had to back his truck 1100 feet....

Ladies, backing up my van is a problem for me so my hat is off to this driver!!

The trusses are just waiting for the crane to arrive today to put the trusses in place. Since we decided to have a cathedral ceiling in the living area, we had to use trusses instead of built in place rafters.  Sister Kristi is off work today so she will be there with her camera catching the pictures of the trusses going into place.  I am saving all these pictures and when the house is done I will do a photo book of the building of our little house.

And I have a picture of my coffee cup for National Coffee Day, which was yesterday.

Amelia gifted me with this pretty green cup with a big A on it. Green and white were my high schools colors by the way and my birthstone is emerald so I like green!  I wonder how many donuts and cups of coffee Krispy Kreme served yesterday in their giveaway? I managed to avoid KK and I did enjoy my yummy salad from Panera for lunch.

Today is Grocery Day and this afternoon I have an appointment to get the oil changed in my van. I plan to take my stitching along as Toyota has a beautiful service area where I can wait while the work is done.

I am so enjoying this cooler weather...yesterday was just glorious here in NoAla. All my friends who live further south, hang in there, fall is on the way.  And don't forget that tomorrow is my October Giveaway!! Come and see what tricks and treats I  have in mind.

5 comments:

Sandy said...

How exciting!!!
Fall did arrive this morning. It put a little pep in the doggies.

Terri D said...

How exciting to know that the roof is about to rise!! Seems like getting the roof on would feel like you are about ready to move in! I know there is much more to do though. Just the same, a roof over your head is what it's all about!

Cranberry Morning said...

Oh I love construction! It's always so fun to watch. I missed Coffee Day, although I did have my morning coffee, but in the afternoon had a cream tea (and I'm not a tea drinker), but my sister in law was here and we decided to drink tea. ANYway, I'm glad fall has come to NoALA. I was surprised to read the name 'Leta.' When I was a kid, our neighbor lady down the road was Leta, and that's the only time until now that I've heard that name!

Mrs.T said...

Wow, it surely does pay to have sisters and cousins near your building site, doesn't it? Perfect timing for your sister to see the truck and for your cousin to tell the driver it would be okay to proceed.

I hate backing up! I think most men are much better at reverse than women are, at least the ones I know. And truck drivers -- well, in general they are a whole different category. Professional backers!

Great to see the trusses have arrived and that your sis will be on site (camera in hand) when the crane lifts them into place. That's always an exciting moment!

Mildred said...

In my "older" age, I have trouble backing up the car, too. Great job by the truck driver. So happy that the trusses have arrived. Keeping a photo journal of your sweet home being built is a great idea.
Yesterday and today are much cooler here and we just love it. How nice that you can stitch while waiting for an oil change.
I shopped at Walmart earlier and stopped by the P.O. I think we are in for the weekend now. Sat/Sun traffic is heavy in our little area being so close to Helen.
Have a wonderful weekend.