Followers

Thursday, October 6, 2016

A Cracker Barrel Day

Yes, this is Cracker Barrel Day for Susan, Deborah and our friend, Candie.  You know Susan, Deborah and I meet every Thursday for lunch but we meet for breakfast once a month so we can be with our sweet Candie. Many years ago I held a group in my home for young women and older women to get together for fellowship.  Candie was one of the young women and we have stayed great friends for many years. She is a working woman but we meet near her place of business so that we can maintain our ties.

I think Friendships among women are so important and if you have to schedule a regular time to meet with your friends, do it.  So often we say, "Let's meet up for lunch soon." and it never happens.  I just finished a good book, A Remarkable Kindness by Diane Bletter. It is the story of a group of women who live in Israel and they are part of the Burial Circle. When a woman dies in their community, the Burial Circle prepare the body for death and recites the ritual prayers. In dealing with death they have learned a lot about life.  I found this book in our used book room for $1 and that was a bargain.

Today will be a busy one for me. After breakfast I am off to do some errands and to swing by the Mennonite grocery store. My mother loves the candy that I purchase there and she ordered two pounds this visit.  I have my Titus Ladies group from church this afternoon then I am off to paint by myself tonight. I will pick up Amelia's project and she can finish it at home. I will be painting a candy corn door hanger that says Trick or Treat. I will hang it on the door on Halloween night so the little goblins know we are open for business.

Tomorrow we go to visit the little house and to see all that has been done in the last month. Brother in  law, Bruce reported that the siding and the metal roof arrived yesterday!!  Exciting times for us. Thanks for all your sweet comments on our project. It is so much fun to share this little house with all of you.

We will also be attending the Henderson Reunion . That is my mother's side of the family and they try to get together for finger foods and fellowship once a year. I spent yesterday making cheese straws to take. I will also make some Dilled Pimento Cheese to serve with crackers.   As my mother's generation becomes older, I realize the importance of learning all I can about my family from the senior members.

Finally, I want to lift up prayers for those in the path of the storm this morning. My husband's sister and her son and daughter in law live in Savannah, Georgia.  Many of Marvin's Facebook friends were posting that the interstate out of Savannah was slow going as many are leaving  the area. We have been trying to get in touch with Mina but so far no luck. The last time Savannah was evacuated (1999)  she and her husband chose to stay put as they are not on the coast but in town. The beach is about 20 miles from downtown Savannah.    Praying for that old storm Matthew to slow down as he makes landfall.


10 comments:

Mildred said...

Joining you in prayer for those affected by the storm.
You certainly have a busy day. Great to spend time with friends and I know your Mom will appreciate the candy you pick up for her. Have safe travel and take lots of pics of your little house.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Have a fun day and a wonderful weekend. Can't wait to see pics of your house and the progress. And thanks for the prayers. Hugs, Diane

Tina said...

Sounds like you have a full and fun weekend ahead! I've been following Matthew on the Weather Channel and my prayers go out to all of those in his path. If you get a chance please post the pimento cheese recipe, I love pimento cheese! Have fun at your Cracker Barrel friend day and enjoy your weekend!

Sandy said...

Have a wonderful day. I need to be much more diligent about those friendship meetings. Praying that the storm will weaken soon.

Julie's Creative Lifestyle said...

It sounds like you have been so busy lately Arlene. I hope you have a lovely day and weekend.

Mrs.T said...

Wow, a busy day for you indeed, Arlene! I so envy you the Cracker Barrel portion of it (and the Mennonite grocery store would be fun too)!

Looking forward to hearing your update on the little house following your visit tomorrow. Thanks for sharing this with all of us!

Terri D said...

You are so right about the importance of making time for our girlfriends. It's great that you have such a fun group. How exciting to see the siding and roof going on your little house! Hoping you'll have pictures to share!! Thanks for your prayers for those of us in Matthew's path.

sharon said...

Joining you in prayers! Can't wait to see the progress on your little house. You are so right about making time for friends. I have a good friend that we meet at Starbucks at 5:45 am for coffee before work! It is so worth it.

Mari said...

Sounds like you're going to have fun!
We're watching and praying here too.

Arlene Grimm said...

Just getting to the comments this morning...it was a busy day yesterday. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. Y'all are so encouraging.