Followers

Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Once A Nurse

When my son, Charles was very sick about 10 years ago, I had to use all my nursing knowledge in dealing with the doctors caring for him. My husband casually told the doctor I had not worked in many years but sweet Dr K put him in his place when he said, "Once a nurse, always a Nurse!"

I am thankful for the knowledge I received at Georgia Baptist School of Nursing. Now days Diploma Nurses are a thing of the past.  For three years we worked hard to become RNs and we graduated knowing how to do anything that was required of us. I have heard that new nurses these days have a preceptor with them for at least six months to train them due to the lack of clinical experience.

Georgia Baptist is now a part of Mercer University in Atlanta and the school recently held Alumna Day.  A friend of mine shared some pictures which she graciously allowed me to use here on my blog.

Ok, I do miss seeing nurses in their caps that signified which school of nursing they attended.  And it made it easy to know who was the nurse.

Miss Edna Earl Teale who was a graduate of Georgia Baptist was also a missionary nurse to China.

Georgia Baptist Nurses did their part during WW2.

This was the uniform for the students from the 50s to the 80s. The only time I wore my cloak was at capping and for photographs.

I love this picture of our caps. As freshman we were not allowed to wear our caps. When we were juniors we got our caps with a blue stripe and as seniors we got our black band at a special dinner. On graduation we wore a plain white cap.

Whenever we were at the hospital  looking at the charts of our patients to prepare for the next days care, we wore the little yellow smock.   We also had a tunnel that connected our dorm to the hospital for safety. Georgia Baptist was not in the best neighborhood.

The tables at the luncheon were decorated with old caps!

My suite mate, Terrie, is on the left and Laurel, who took some of these photos is on the right. Terrie has worked at GBH( Now Atlanta Medical Center) since she graduated from nursing school.

Terrie with Mrs Susan Gunby. Mrs Gunby was one of our favorite instructors and now she is the director of the school. I believe she is Dr Gunby now as she got her PhD in nursing.

Another instructor from my GBH days...

And Mrs Rawlings....both of these instructors were young and just out of school when they taught us.

When the Class of 1976 celebrates their 50 year anniversary we will be guests of honor at the luncheon. 10 more years!!

As I have said before, I learned so much during my three years at school there.  I attended First Baptist Church where Dr Charles Stanley taught. I learned a lot about friendship and I am so thankful for the life long friends I made at GBH.  I learned a lot about life and death while walking those hall at the hospital. I met my husband at Georgia Tech, which was a huge  bonus and blessing! And I remember so much of what I learned because of teachers who expected a lot out of young women. I can run the category in Physiology on Jeopardy because of Miss Mary Kate Tribble, who taught us about the workings of the body.  The three years I spent at GBH School of Nursing were truly some of the best of my life. Thanks to this wonderful school for continuing its teaching and nursing ministry.

9 comments:

Sandy said...

Sweet trip down memory lane. You know I miss those uniforms too. I think professionalism took a swing down with our casualness today. It was much the same in the classroom as well.
I could have used your nursing last night. I have been quiet since the weekend because a kidney stone has been working on me. In fact, I think it was working on me this weekend. I passed it from the kidney to the bladder last night. Ouch!!!

Katie Clooney said...

My mother-in-law and many of my friends are nurses. In my eyes, nurses are the unsung heroes of the medical profession. Have a great week, Arlene.

Arlene Grimm said...

Sandy, I will tell you what the nurse told Marvin when he had one. MOVE!! She suggested riding on a riding lawn mower to move that stone. We did not have a riding lawn mower so he got out and raked leaves. It is a terrible pain...Hope you did not miss the ballgame. Because you know football in Alabama is more important than a kidney stone.lol Katie I stopped nursing professionally once I had three kiddos to care for but my favorite job was working at Student Health at the University of Georgia.

Summer said...

Looks like a nice luncheon☺ Nurses re real heroes♥

Terri D said...

I loved learning this about you and going down memory lane with you!! Great photos your friend shared! These days you can't tell a nurse from the janitorial help sometimes. The caps were a good thing, I think!

Carol said...

I have such respect for nurses, Arlene! My SIL is one and my best friend--both are women I want by my side in a crisis :) I enjoyed reading your post--and I, too, miss the caps and uniforms!

Mildred said...

A very interesting post. I was happy to see the photos that your friends shared. When you look back, you certainly see that the Lord was with you every step of the way.

Mari said...

What a fun post! I agree with you on the way nurses are taught now. They have a terrible time getting into the classes they need, and the lack of clinical work makes for nurses who are smart, but have no common sense when it comes to actual working!
I miss the hats too. We could always tell where people graduated from by looking at their caps. However, when I first started working at the hospital, I worked on an ortho/neuro floor. Those caps didn't stay on well with all the traction gadgets and bars on the beds in that unit!

Arlene Grimm said...

Nursing has changed a lot through the years. I could still do bedside nursing, not sure about all the changes with charting on computers etc. I would not trade my time at GBH for anything... Mari, the hospital worked us like dogs..lol We ran the hospital on the weekend. We got paid Minimum Wage but hey, it really prepared me for the real world of nursing. I understand that due to liability we would not be allowed to do that these days. And yes, I remember my cap getting caught in the traction etc.lol