Followers

Friday, November 18, 2016

Alabama Firecrackers

Daughter, Amelia, is hosting our family Thanksgiving tomorrow at her lovely home on Indian Hills Road.  She asked me to make the Dressing  as well as the Dilled Oyster Crackers that are her favorite appetizer. In addition to the Dilled Crackers I thought I would try a new recipe.

Alabama Firecrackers call for Saltine Crackers but I decided to swap out with Oyster Crackers and see how it went.  They are yummy but have a cumulative HOTNESS that requires them to be eaten with a big glass of Iced Sweet Tea or a CoCola.

Here is the recipe if you want to try something new for your appetizer table on Thursday.

Alabama Firecrackers

2 bags of oyster crackers.( I find the cheap store brand soaks up the flavor better than the Nabisco brand.) If you choose to use saltines...one 16 oz box.
1 1/2 cups canola oil
2 T crushed Red Peppers
1 pkg Ranch dressing mix
1 T chili powder

Place crackers in two gallon ziplock bags. Pour half of the oil mixture in each bag. Seal and flip the bag every five minutes for about thirty minutes. Or if you are like me, when you think about it.

Remove from bag to large cookie sheet and allow to air dry. Store in Air Tight Container.

I think you could decrease the amount of oil....Next time I will do 1 1/4 cup.  I also put my crackers in a 250 degree oven and stirred them every 15 minutes for an hour instead of air drying.  Can you tell I am not a patient person?

One thing I like about this appetizer is that you cannot eat a lot of them at one time. Unless you have an asbestos mouth that is. I have never been a big fan of really hot things and some of you might not even find these very hot as hotness goes but for me they are the perfect hot/flavor ratio.

I am off to the Christmas Market at Central Methodist Church today. I look forward to seeing what all the lovely ladies have crafted this year. Marvin is my chauffeur today as he has taken the day off to help me prepare for company this weekend. We will also be attending Kayleigh's funeral this afternoon.  So a busy day here at Nanaland. See you tomorrow.



10 comments:

Sandy said...

I think my niece makes those crackers as well. She always brought them to Christmas before the twins got too big and she decided they needed to be at home in Houston for Christmas morning:(
We will see them next week, and we are all excited.
Have fun at the craft fair.
That was sad about Kayleigh. I know that is so hard on her parents AND grandparents.

Latane Barton said...

I am going to try these. Not sure when but the recipe is copied and ready.

Mildred said...

My deepest sympathy to the family and friends in the loss of Kayleigh. Thank you for sharing the recipe. Talk about being impatient....I made frosted cupcakes for the family next door. I put the foil on the container too soon and the icing stuck BUT it is 3 hearty teeenage boys and a 6 yr old girl so they did not care! I know you enjoyed the market this aft.

Gina said...

Arlene, I will have to try that recipe. I like spicy hot! Thank you so much for the lovely Thanksgiving card. Have a wonderful time at your daughter's. xoxo

Terri D said...

Your recipe sounds interesting and yummy. We enjoy hot/spicy things so will have to remember this one to try later! Thanks for sharing!

Linda said...

I'm going to have to try these!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe!
Happy Thanksgiving! We received your lovely card today! Thank you!

Katie Clooney said...

That recipe sounds right up the Mister's alley. Have a great time at the Christmas Market! Enjoy your weekend, Arlene!

Arlene Grimm said...

Hope y'all enjoy the Firecrackers. My husband has eaten all the "extras" and I hid the ones for today!! I actually like these more than the Dilled Oyster crackers. Off to a yummy dinner. As Amelia said, Be sure and wear your fat pants today!!

Barbara said...

They sound really good but I am not a fan of spicy food. Wonder how tasty they would be without the peppers. Ranch dressing would give them a fun taste.

Arlene Grimm said...

Barbara I am always a fan of changing up what you do not like in a recipe. Go for it.:)