Followers

Friday, November 4, 2016

Back from the Framer

I got two of my Christmas pieces back from the framer this week. When you are a needleworker, seeing your hours of work framed and ready for display is always a wonderful moment.

Both pieces are Prairie Schooler, my favorite designer.  Here is Up on the Housetop.

If you remember this is the one where I made a Boo Boo and I chose to redesign the piece rthater than pick out all the misplaced stitches. In the Cross Stitch world this is known as Frogging. Why? Because you have to Rip It Rip It Rip It.   Most needleworks dread the Frog.  I am happy with the redesign. Adding the year and my initials make it my own.

I cannot remember the name of this piece and my pattern is packed away..

I love the Vintage look of this one. Reminds me of the 1950s.  I am partial to 1955 since I was born that year.:)

Becoming a fan of Floss Tube on You Tube and two Facebook pages, Stitch Maynia and Cross Stitch Finish Line, has really sparked my cross stitch projects. I was always that stitcher who worked on one thing until it was finished. However, when I became bored with it I just had to plug on and it did take some of the joy out of stitching.  I am now a Rotation Stitcher. At present I have five projects I am working on and I change it up each day.  Even if I only get a little bit of stitching done on a piece, I put it away and  work on a different project the next day.  I think five projects are the most I can handle and complete in at timely manner but that is perfect for me.  One day I will share my rotations with you!  Of course, if I have something I need to complete for a gift, I will make sure I get it done.  For instance I am doing some Christmas ornaments for the grands. I plan to hand them out at our Thanksgiving Dinner so I will have to complete them in a timely manner.

I have seen some stitchers who have 20 or more projects going at the same time and I think that is just too many. I do like to see progress.  I am planning a Big Stitch for 2017...Smoky Mountaint Christmas.  I think it is beautiful and I plan to display it at the little house.


Well today is Grocery Day and Library Day.  I have not been reading as much as I used to. I guess I am too busy stitching.

11 comments:

Mildred said...

I remember the thrill of getting back my framed cross stitch pieces. Yours turned out lovely. The one you have planned for the little house is adorable! Hope you have a nice day.

Sandy said...

Both are lovely. I have so many projects I want to do...just not enough time!!!

Mrs.T said...

Beautiful, Arlene! Just beautiful. I love the way you used the "mistake" in the top design to your advantage. It worked out perfectly.

I appreciated your sharing about working on more than one CCS project at a time. I just wouldn't have thought of that (not lately, anyway) -- I am much more apt to plug away until I complete something. But I definitely see the wisdom of rotating projects. Thanks for sharing that idea!

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

I'm cracking up at the "rip-it, rip-it!" Clever crafter you are! I love the framed finished piece. What a treasure!

Gina said...

Hooray Library Day! ♥

(let me know if this comment goes through Arlene.) xx

Arlene Grimm said...

Thanks Y'all...I just love cross stitching. It keeps me sane. Leslie Anne, I read your blog about the frenemy that thought she was helping you by critiquing your blog. Save us from those kinds of friends.:) And I did find some library books...hoping they are good.

Mari said...

Those are both beautiful! I remember the joy of getting a piece back from the framer. The new piece is going to be amazing!

Katie Clooney said...

Positively gorgeous!!! It takes a lot of patience to do these but well worth the effort. Last time I cross-stitched, my 25-year-old was in utero. Enjoy your weekend!

Arlene Grimm said...

Mari, that Smoky Mountain Christmas is going to be a long term project but worth it. Katie, I sometimes tell my family I cross stitch to keep from slapping people.lol. It is very calming to me, seeing the needle go in and out, rather mesmerizing. I have a friend who knits and she agrees that it does calm the mind and heart.

Carol said...

These framed finishes are so lovely, Arlene. While I am very good about finishing my smalls, I'll confess to letting my larger finishes languish in drawers just waiting to be framed. I really need to try to correct that :) I am a one at a time stitcher. Maybe two at a time now and then. My brain can't seem to handle multiple WIPs!!

Terri D said...

You do such beautiful work and they look fabulous framed! I sure do admire anyone who can do cross stitch. I have no patience for it and can't imagine doing five or twenty at a time! Oh my goodness! Amazing!