Followers

Wednesday, December 21, 2016

Miss Buncle's Book

I am posting this evening as I am off bright and early in the am to play Nana at Amelia's house. She has an early morning doctor's appointment with her podiatrist.  I am thinking all the kids will be sleeping in so I am taking a book and some cross stitch.

I picked up a book at Barnes and Noble, titled Miss Buncle's Book. I admit, someone had left it sitting out on a shelf, and the picture drew me in!  This is a reissue of a book that was written in the 1930s by D E Stevenson. Dorothy Stevenson is a descendent of Robert Louis Stevenson and was a prolific author from the 1930s to the 1970s. Now I want to read some of Ms Stevenson's other works.

Miss Buncle's Book takes place in a small English village. ( This is all you have to say to me to make me want to read a book.)  Miss Buncle has lived quite comfortably on monies from her investments but as the economic woes of the 1930s grip England, her  investments have dried up. Following the advice of all English teachers, "Write what you know.", Miss Buncle pens a book titled Disturber of the Peace.  Written under the pen name, John Smith, Miss Buncle hopes to remain anonymous. However, while most of Great Britain loves the book, the locals are up in arms as they recognize themselves in the book. Very upset, the villagers determine to find out what upstart wrote this atrocious book.

I think this was the perfect book to read during this busy Christmas season. I looked forward to curling up with the residents of Silverstream each evening. An easy and amusing read, I want to read the sequel to this book that chronicles Ms Buncle's life as she makes great strides in finding happiness and fulfillment.

I seldom give a book five stars but this one is a solid 4 in my opinion. Give it a try.

9 comments:

Linda said...

Sounds interesting!!! I love English books too!!

doodles n daydreams said...

This definitely sounds like a book I'd enjoy, I'll see if they have it in the library :)
I enjoyed seeing your grandkids enjoying your little house, wee Audrey is such a treat looking out that window at the big kids.
Merry Christmas,

diana

Mike@Bit About Britain said...

It sounds fun - and should probably be a movie starring Kate Winslet. Merry Christmas!

Terri D said...

How fun! I sounds like a TV show that would be on Acorn TV!! I will definitely look for this one! Thanks for the review!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review. My sister has read "Whispering Valley" by the sane author. She enjoyed it.
MERRY CHRISTMAS
Marion

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

I love old books and the way with words they had. Such sweet stories. I'll be on the look-out for this author.

Gina said...

Arlene, I will have to look this author up in the library. I do love Robert Louis Stevenson. Thank you for the recommendation!

Arlene Grimm said...

I see that Amazon has most of the re issues. I put a few on my wish list. Right now I am reading The Awakening of Miss Prim by Natalia Sanmartin Fenollera. I did start Edie's book that I won in Rhoda's giveaway and it is good too. I will have several to take to Grimmwood next week.

Barbara said...

My library does not carry this book but many of her others. I'll do a little research and find a good one to read. Thanks for the heads up.