Followers

Thursday, December 15, 2016

The Grits Ornaments

Many years ago now, GRITS was a popular acronym for Girls Raised in the South.  Well I am not a Girl anymore but I was raised in the South.  Buy hey, if you divide everyone into boys and girls, then I am a girl so I will claim it.

If you grew up in Georgia, you might have one of these ornaments on your tree.

Georgia produces lots of peanuts. You might remember our former governor who became the POTUS,  Jimmy Carter. He was a peanut farmer by trade.   


And a little angel made of a cotton boll.  My parents loved to tell us girls of how they had to pick cotton when they were children. They wanted us to know we got off light just working on our own farm.  My sweet daddy planted several cotton plants when my children were small just so they could see cotton.  It is not a crop you see much in North Georgia these days. 


Would you believe this little angel is made from a Peach Pit? Brother in law, William and sis in law, Barbara, made family members an angel ornament every year as a gift. This is one of their finest in my opinion. They had to eat a lot of peaches that summer to come up with these ornaments.   I love looking at all the different angels they made for us over the years. Each is truly unique. One is made form an oyster shell which reminds Marvin of growing up near the beach in Georgia. 

We had a lovely evening in Huntsville at Cantina Laredo where Marvin enjoyed a celebratory dinner with other Northrop Grumman friends. He received a nice commemorative as well as many good wishes.  My modest husband always down plays his contributions to the National Team but last night I heard that it was just as I expected, he is a key player in many ways.  The National Team is the National Defense Team. That is all I can tell you about that.:) As I have said before we take security very seriously here in NoAla. 

Off for my Christmas lunch with the Besties, then we get busy with another party. While I party with my friends, Marvin will be loading the truck to take our things to Chatsworth tomorrow. It will probably be Monday before I am here at the blog again as we have such a busy weekend.  I promise some pictures of the Little House aka Grimmwood on Monday.

8 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Have a wonderful lunch and have fun at your new house. I know you are excited to go and spend time there! Lots of hugs, Diane

Sandy said...

Have a great weekend and tell Marvin, Congratulations for me!
I loved seeing your ornaments. Our trees tell stories indeed. the best part about Christmas decorations.

Karen said...

Your tree is beautiful.I like those Georgia ornaments, peach pit, cotton bolls and peanuts! I remember Jimmy Carter speaking to our Baotist Student Union before he ever ran for office.

Terri D said...

I am so looking forward to your moving-in report and the pictures you will share!! The ornaments that speak to you with sweet memories are just the best and those that are totally southern are great! I am always intrigued when I see the cotton fields ready for picking. What a job that must have been before automation!!

Mari said...

I love fun ornaments like these! I can't wait to see the pictures of the little house!

Heather said...

I love your ornaments. I love ornaments that have a story or bring back a memory. We have a few of those type on our tree too. Can't wait to see the pictures!

Phoebes World said...

So cute..I love tree ornaments that tell a story.
Phoebe x

Linda said...

Handmade ornaments are the BEST!!!!
Congrats to your husband!! He is such a good one!!