Yes, my mind is going in one hundred different directions so let's hop in the stream and see where we go!!
1. Yesterday was the 75th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor Attack. Our local NBC station aired the memorial service in its entirety. I was able to DVR it and Marvin and I watched it together last night. All I can say is WOW....there were some Pearl Harbor Survivors as honored guests. These men are in their 90s and 100s and made the trek to Hawaii to remember their fallen comrades. One man was 104 and he had been going to physical therapy for three years so that he could build up his strength to make the trip. Let me just point something out to the San Francisco 49ers quarterback( I refuse to say his name and give him the attention he wants) As Admiral Harry Harris of the Pacific Command of the Navy, quoted..."You can bet the men and women we honor today and those who died that fateful morning 75 years ago, never took a knee and never failed to stand when they heard our national anthem being played." Admiral Harris got a standing ovation for that comment in his speech. It brought tears to my eyes as I saw all those old men struggling to get to their feet for the anthem and hands held over their chests or saluting the flag as the anthem was played. I also got a little history lesson as I guess I never realized that the Japanese struck all over Oahu and not just Pearl Harbor. The memorial also made note of the brave civilians who found themselves in the trenches as well.
2. Our little house is moving right along. The Heat and AC is in, appliances arrived yesterday. Cabinets go in tomorrow. Bruce sent me a picture of my old barn wood headboard that our contractor built on the wall for me. It is amazing to see it coming together. I got some good Cyber deals on bedding and curtains. I need to get curtain rods and I will be set.
3. I think I am almost done with my Christmas shopping. I have a few more things to pick up. Kendall wanted the video The Secret Life of Pets and it just came out this week. Hudson wanted Glow in the Dark shoelaces so I need to go to Academy to pick some up for him. It looks as though our Christmas will be rather disjointed this year as none of the kids will be here at the same time. We will have all the family together in Chatsworth next weekend. Sister Kristi will take some family pictures of us on the porch at the Little Farm House.
4. Marvin's last day of work at Northrop Grumman is Dec 22. His retirement dinner is next Wednesday night. He gets two weeks off then goes back to work part time for Davidson Engineering. As they put it , they like employees who have experience but are not in need of benefits. So getting older does have its perks.:) Marvin wants to ease into retirement and I think this will be a good way to do that.
5. We have our first Christmas party this weekend with our Sunday School Class. Sunday we will motor up to Nashville with friends, Barry and Sharon, to see Home Free's Christmas Concert. It will be a fun weekend.
6.Friend Day is in Hartselle today...Oh Bryan's Steak House...yum! I always look forward to time with Deb and Sus. Seems we never run out of things to talk about!!
7. Like many of you, I am trying to take time to enjoy this season of Advent. I am doing Advent devotions with Bishop Robert Barron. I am not Catholic but I love the way Bishop Barron explains the Scriptures and Advent. I am finding as I get older, I love liturgy....the seasons of the church and the invisible thread that binds all believers together through the ages.
Well I think I need to get out of the stream, towel off and get busy doing some cleaning this morning.
Have a blessed day Friends.