Followers

Thursday, December 8, 2016

The Stream

Yes, my mind is going in one hundred different directions so let's hop in the stream and see where we go!!

1. Yesterday was the 75th anniversary of the Pearl Harbor Attack. Our local NBC station aired the  memorial service in its entirety.  I was able to DVR it and Marvin and I watched it together last night. All I can say is WOW....there were some Pearl Harbor Survivors as honored guests. These men are in their 90s and 100s and made the trek to Hawaii to remember their fallen comrades. One man was 104 and he had been going to physical therapy for three years so that he could build up his strength to make the trip.  Let me just point something out to the San Francisco 49ers quarterback( I refuse to say his name and give him the attention he wants) As Admiral Harry Harris of the Pacific Command of the Navy, quoted..."You can bet the men and women we honor today and those who died that fateful morning 75 years ago, never took a knee and never failed to stand when they heard our national anthem being played." Admiral Harris got a standing ovation for that comment in his speech. It brought tears to my eyes as I saw all those old men struggling to get to their feet for the anthem and hands held over their chests or saluting the flag as the anthem was played.  I also got a little history lesson as I guess I never realized that the Japanese struck all over Oahu and not just Pearl Harbor. The memorial also made note of the brave civilians who found themselves in the trenches as well.

2.  Our little house is moving right along. The Heat and AC is in, appliances arrived yesterday. Cabinets go in tomorrow.  Bruce sent me a picture of my old barn wood headboard that our contractor built on the wall for me.  It is amazing to see it coming together.  I got some good Cyber deals on bedding and curtains. I need to get curtain rods and I will be set.

3. I think I am almost done with my Christmas shopping. I have a few more things to pick up. Kendall wanted the video The Secret Life of Pets and it just came out this week. Hudson wanted Glow in the Dark shoelaces so I need to go to Academy to pick some up for him.  It looks as though our Christmas will be rather disjointed this year as none of the kids will be here at the same time. We will have all the family together in Chatsworth next weekend. Sister Kristi will take some family pictures of us on the porch at the Little Farm House.

4. Marvin's last day of work at Northrop Grumman is Dec 22. His retirement dinner is next Wednesday night.  He gets two weeks off then goes back to work part time for Davidson Engineering. As they put it , they like employees who have experience but are not in need of benefits. So getting older does have its perks.:) Marvin wants to ease into retirement and I think this will be a good way to do that.

5. We have our first Christmas party this weekend with our Sunday School Class. Sunday we will motor up to Nashville with friends, Barry and Sharon, to see Home Free's Christmas Concert.  It will be a fun weekend.

6.Friend Day is in Hartselle today...Oh Bryan's Steak House...yum! I always look forward to time with Deb and Sus.  Seems we never run out of things to talk about!!

7. Like many of you, I am trying to take time to enjoy this season of Advent. I am doing Advent devotions with Bishop Robert Barron. I am not Catholic but I love the way Bishop Barron explains the Scriptures and Advent.  I am finding as I get older, I love liturgy....the seasons of the church and the invisible thread that binds all believers together through the ages.

Well I think I need to  get out of the stream, towel off and get busy doing some cleaning this morning.
Have a blessed day Friends.

6 comments:

Sandy said...

When I graduated from college, I got to go to Hawaii. My absolute most favorite part of the trip was Pearl Harbor. To this day, I will never forget that place. That is definitely the "greatest generation."
The little house is going to be great ...just know it. Enjoy all the kiddos this weekend. I know my day is coming when I don't have them all around at one time, so I know I am going to make the most of those weekends when they are all together.
That seems like a perfect solution for Marvin. He will get more time off, but a little extra to help with those insurance costs. I have been praying about a 10 hour a week job at church. I have so little free time now, but that would help with my insurance and might make me more structured. Really praying about it.

Gina said...

Arlene, I love to see shows about our vets. ♥

Hooray for Marvin to semi-"retire".

I love this season of advent. I need to check out Barron's devotions.

xx

Terri D said...

I get daily emails from Bishop Robert Barron and also enjoy his insight. Very meaningful and the liturgy plays a big part in our Catholic Masses. I saw a video about the 104 year old Pearl Harbor survivor who goes every year. He is amazing. I think a family photo on the front porch of your new home will be fabulous and I can't wait to see it! You have some very fun things coming up!! Enjoy!!

Mari said...

I saw something about that 104 year of man going to the ceremony. Very touching! I also saw what that Navy commander said and cheered to myself in reading it!
Sounds perfect for Marvin! You have some exciting times ahead!

Barbara said...

You have a lot going on but sounds like it is pretty well organized. The new house has to have you jumping with joy. Settling in will be so much fun - and work.

Arlene Grimm said...

Ladies, I have been remiss in responding to comments. I promise to do better. It is such a busy time of the year. Sandy, if I ever make it to Hawaii, Pearl Harbor is definitely on my list of places to visit. Gina, I think part time work will be good for both of us. It will allow us to move gracefully into retirement. Terri, I just LOVE Bishop Barron. He speaks to my heart. Mari, I have to admit I was in tears during most of the memorial service. It was so touching. Barbara, we are heading to the little house on Friday with a small moving truck full of things. We are excited.