Followers

Thursday, January 19, 2017

Finishing Up

You all know I love to stitch but finishing a project is very important as well. Thanks to Flosstube on You Tube, I have learned that everything does not have to be framed.  And that is good news as framing is the expensive part of cross stitching.  While I will still frame my big projects, I can finish some things on my own.

Small seasonal stitching that is only displayed for a short time can be done quite cheaply!  I got three pieces finished this week.

First is a Christmas ornament for my little tree that I will use at Grimmwood.

This piece is called Snow Place like HOME by Country Cottage Needleworks.  I simply stretched it over a piece of cardboard lined with batting. I added a piece of sparkly scrapbook paper to the back. ( I used a piece that is a glittery tag board which costs $1.99 at Hobby Lobby...You need a substantial piece of paper for this project.) After watching Vonna the Twisted Stitcher on Floss Tube, I learned that embellishments can make a finished project much cuter. I found these tags at Hobby Lobby as well. I simply glued the string between the two pieces of cardboard.  My plan is to make a Christmas ornament a month. I am hoping to find a pencil tree to display at the little house. I want the ornaments to really stand out.

I had two cute Valentine pieces...both by the designer Lizzie Kate.  I finished them simply as they will just be on display about two weeks.


I stitched this on Aida fabric and it is very stiff and holds up well so I just trimmed it  and added it to some cardboard lined with scrapbook paper. I added the little paper Be Mine that I found in the Valentine aisle at Walmart.  I propped it on an easel in front of the my grands pictures on the Nana Table.

This one is very simple as well.


I used the DMC variegated floss on these hearts and i love how they turned out. Again, using Aida makes it easier to work with in finishing. Linen and Even weave are a little harder to work with as they wrinkle easily. Aida is a sturdy cloth and can take the abuse.  I mounted this  on a 5 by 7 card covered with batting. Then I glued it to a wooded box frame that I had covered with scrapbook paper. Once again I used the heart embellishments  I picked up at Walmart.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my handwork.   I love stitching but I like to have a FINISH as well. Off for lunch with the besties and running some errands before the rains set in. We are still having beautiful weather but we are expecting the cold to return next week. That is life in the South in the Winter.

10 comments:

Sandy said...

I love your finishes. I am really so glad I learned about that idea for those little seasonal projects. It is so creative as well as inexpensive. I have Priscilla to thank for that. I am sure you can come with a clever idea for those ornaments even if you don't find a pencil tree. That mantle would be adorable draped in your stitching.

Arlene Grimm said...

Sandy that is a great idea!! I might just do that!!

Mrs.T said...

Beautiful finishes, Arlene! I like Sandy's idea for draping the ornaments on the mantel. I was thinking, too ... I have a garland of evergreens and pine cones that I have woven a string of white lights into. The garland hangs over my picture window year round and I just change out the trims with the seasons. That might also be a nice way to display your ornaments.

Linda said...

They are so beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing, and warm greetings from Montreal, Canada. :)

Gina said...

Arlene, love your ♥ handiwork. And I love the idea of one ornament a month!

Linda said...

You do such good work and fast! It takes me forever to stitch something!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

Love the Be Mine cross stitch! I like doing little projects that work up fast. Of course cross stitch is not fast...but beautiful! Hugs, Diane

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

I actually think the smaller ornament style framing is probably more versatile in a house. you can prop them against books, or in a corner with a plant. Very cute touch of artwork!

Terri D said...

Oh my, I always LOVE seeing your beautiful work! These are all so great! Maybe one of these days I'll try another project. Keep inspiring us!!

Heather said...

They are all beautifully done!