Followers

Monday, January 2, 2017

I Miss Downton Abbey

For the first time in six years, there is no Downton Abbey to lift our spirits in January.  I do miss all the characters I came to think of as friends.  I even thought of getting out my DVDS and watching the first season on Sunday nights.

And for those of you who did not see DA on Masterpiece Theater, you need to give it a try. Even my physicist husband would leave the man cave where he watches Sunday Night Football, to join me for our "story". My grandmothers always called their soap operas their "stories". My Grandmother Tankersley was quite a fan of Days of Our Lives. Her children teased her that she even prayed for the Horton family.   I can remember summer days when we would watch Mother's stories. Love of Life, As the World Turns, Days of our Lives and Another World were on the tv even if we were busy with chores. We had to run in every now and then to see what was happening to our favorite characters.

My Grandmother Henderson liked the ABC soaps and she was quite the fan of Dark Shadows. Now my mother would not let us watch Dark Shadows as she was sure it would cause us to have night mares. Little did she know that if we were at Grandmother H's house at four in the afternoon, we watched Dark Shadows right along with her. Who can forget that spooky music??? I saw some reruns on Syfy and Dark Shadows would never make it in this day and age. It moved pretty slowly and Jonathan Frid as Barnabas would not be considered a heart throb.

I admit that as a young mom I was addicted to Ryan's Hope, All My Children and Another World. But there came a day when they changed or I did. They no longer held my interest and how many times can you watch Erica get married? Poor Susan Lucci, she should have won a day time emmy!!

How about you? Do you have any memories of growing up with the Soaps? I think Downton Abbey was so successful because it took the best elements of a serial and added all the beautiful settings and lovely clothing. In the meantime I am waiting for the rumored Downton Abbey movie!

12 comments:

Linda said...

I so agree with you! I miss Downton Abbey too! We are headed to the ranch tomorrow and Louis Dean's son has purchased the first season of Downton Abbey which we have never seen! We were late to the party! I am SO looking forward to watching it while we are snuggled in at the camper! COLD weather is approaching Texas and we will be ready! That reminds me - I need to pack the hot chocolate packets and the last of the candy canes and maybe a little of the Peppermint Schnapps to go with it!!!

I married at 14 and when I was 15 I had a landlady that made a huge impact on my life as well as all 4 of my children's lives. She was 63 when I met her and she lived well into her 90's. She and I would watch her 'stories' together. I didn't have a TV but I would put Summer down for her nap and go downstairs to visit with Mrs. Morrison and we would watch As The World Turns and Days of Our Lives. Sweet memories. Mrs. Morrison was the most important person in my life and her kindness and Christian influence lives on....

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How funny that you would mention this! We got out our DVDs and started watching Downton from the very beginning...on the first day of the year. It had been so enjoyable to watch one show every night after dinner. We don't watch tv at night unless it's one of our own movies. The 1 hr is perfect...then we go out to the lanai to read or look at our computers. And yes, I watched Another World way back in the olden days! lol Hugs!

Nonnie said...

I miss DA too, but am looking forward to Victoria. My mother watched As the World Turns and, in the summertime, we kids would get caught up with it, too. I remember the day Penny's husband (I think) was killed in a car crash and when Daddy got home that evening, we had to run outside and tell him the dreadful news! Like he cared! Lol.

Nonnie said...

I meant to add to my post that when I married, my husband asked me to please NOT watch soap operas. Very good advice.

Arlene Grimm said...

Ladies. I think many of us were addicted to the soaps thanks to our mothers and grandmothers.:) I do hope they will do a movie of DA,..I am sure it would be a hit.

Terri D said...

We miss Downton too, and Joe liked it as much as I did. I watched Dark Shadows, All My Children, One Life to Live, and General Hospital. That was back in the 60s when they were still only 30 minutes long. I got home from school at 3:00 and watched until 5:00 most days. I've worked full time most of my adult life, so have not watched the soaps much since high school. My grandpa loved one of the soaps (I forget which one now) and would go home for lunch so he could catch his story. Those were the days!

Sandy said...

Ok, I have to make this the year to watch That show. Everyone talked about all the time, but I figured there was no way to get my husband to watch. I am going to work on that or watch it during the day!
My show was Guiding Light. I think I watched it forever. I liked As the World Turns as well, but GL was it for me. I laughed when she mentioned your grandmother probably prayed for the Hortons. I watched probably all of them enough to know the major characters. At some point my mom became a faithful Young and the Restless fan. She even had my step dad hooked on it. She would tape it and they would watch it at night. I do remember giving GL up though. I even taped it and watched it before Jeff got home each day. One of my favorite characters was having a racy scene and Lindsay was just a toddler, but stopped to watch. I turned it off and never watched any of them again.

Anonymous said...

I watched Dark Shadows,As the World Turns,Guiding Light,Search For Tomorrow,Love Is a Many Splendid Thing. Texas(which was my favorite along with Dark Shadows) was on too long. Capitol also had a short run. Dark Shadows and it stars are on facebook. Also loved and miss Downtown Abbey.
Marion

doodles n daydreams said...

I missed DA when it was showing but have been buying it in installments on DVD. I watch it on a Thursday night when Bob goes out to darts but of course he isn't going over the holiday period so I have to wait another couple of weeks before I pick it up again. Oh well, I think I'll survive.

Diana

Cranberry Morning said...

The only soap I ever watched was Days of Our Lives, and my husband would tease me that I could leave for a year and come back with very little having happened on the soap. That was true. LOL

I missed Downton Abbey until Netflix published 'The Crown.' I am a huge fan and love it even more than Downton, if you can believe that. The entire first season has been published with more seasons to come, dramatizing the life of Queen Elizabeth II. It's wonderful!

Gina said...

I loved DA. I think there is supposed to be a new season of Call the Midwife but I'm not sure. I watched As the World Turns since I was old enough to sit up until the very end. I do miss it.

Barbara said...

I never watched soaps. I think it was probably because I always worked and that was way before we had program recorders. I do remember my Grandmother watching some as she cleaned but not my mother. Again, I probably wasn't at home when they aired.