Followers

Wednesday, January 18, 2017

Remembering Viet Nam

When I was a pre teen and teen ager, the nightly news was always about the war in Viet Nam. It was a war that was not popular and left lasting scars on our nation. I am glad to see our military men honored today because many of our Viet Nam vets were reviled when they came home. I was glad to see that a memorial was built for these men and I would love to see it one day in Washington DC.

Last year the traveling wall came to my hometown and my cousin, Scott, took this photograph.

It is actually two photographs merged into one.   This photo got 50,000 likes on Facebook and was shared often.  Recently Washington DC called Scott and asked if they could use this photograph on the tee shirts that will be sold with this years traveling wall tour.  Of course he was very honored to say of course you can use it.

I took this photo of Scott with his famous shot but of course, the flash bounced off!!  We are all very proud of Scott and if the tour comes to your town, you will know the story behind the t shirts!

Scott has a stressful job and took up photography as a hobby that has become a second job for him. He got some beautiful shots of my grands for me last year. He also takes our family photos.  We sure are blessed to have a great photographer in the family.

10 comments:

Sandy said...

That is a great story. Those memories of it on TV each evening are etched in my mind as well. Daddy would have been there in the worst of times if he had lived.

Linda said...

What an honor! I can tell how proud you are of him and rightly so! I hope the exhibit comes to the DFW area!

Latane Barton said...

That was a very interesting story. So happy that Scott's photography gained such recognition.

Heather said...

That is a beautiful photo! How awesome for him, that they are going to use it.

Anonymous said...

Viet Nam is a very raw topic for me,my family and many friends. A cousin served two tours,neighbors and schoolmates served. A few class mates did not make it home a neighbor came home without a leg and my Uncle had half of his leg blown off when he and his troop stepped on a mine. it is about time these men and women have been recognized for there service and sacrifices. They were treated shamefully. Thank your cousin Scott for all.
Marion
Marion

Karen said...

I remember several young men I went to school with who died or were injured in Viet Nam. And now many who served, who are my age, are greatly affected by their trauma there. I have see the traveling wall. It is an emotional experience. Thank you for this tribute.

Terri D said...

What a great honor for your cousin!! I was in school during Vietnam and remember it as you do. What a shame that those men and women were treated as they were when they came home. I'll watch for the tour and the t-shirts!

Mari said...

I'm so glad to see the vets getting some appreciation.
I love that photo - your cousin is extremely talented!

Gina said...

Gorgeous picture!

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

I'm just now catching up on your news, and this just touches my heart! I'm sitting here watching the pre-inaugural ceremonies and concerts and feel so proud of our country — no matter who the president is. This traveling show is such a great idea and the T-shirts with this gorgeous photo will be a great memory for those who can visit. Congratulations to your cousin!