Followers

Wednesday, January 25, 2017

Success

All my life I have tried to find a good sugar cookie recipe that was good for "cut out" cookies. Either they were tasteless, the dough was hard to roll out or they spread when baking and looked like blobs.

Daughter in law, Katy, had the same problem this Christmas and she took her query to Facebook. Give me a good Sugar Cookie recipe. One of her friends responded with a No Chill Cookie Dough. I tried it yesterday in hopes I could use it for Valentines Day.

Success at last. This dough holds its shape, is easy to work with and is DELICIOUS. This recipe makes three dozen cookies.

Here is the recipe.
1 cup unsalted butter
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1 egg
2 tsp baking powder
3 cups All Purpose flour
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix butter and sugar for three minutes. Beat in egg and flavorings. Combine flour and baking powder, then add slowly to sugar mixture. The dough will be very stiff.

Turn out on floured surface and knead with wet hands.( I did not have to use wet hands as it came together beautifully). Divide dough into manageable batches. Roll out to !/4" and cut with cookie cutter. I put my cookies on a parchment lined pan and baked for 8 to 10 minutes. Check after 8 minutes but  mine took 10 minutes.

Frosting
2 c  powdered sugar
1 T milk
1 T light corn syrup
1/4 tsp vanilla or almond
food coloring

I had to use at least 4T of milk. I just kept adding until it was spreadable.  But this icing hardened up just fine. To be sure the recipe was good enough for my blog friends I had a cookie for breakfast this morning!

If you are like me and have struggled to find a good sugar cookie, try this one. It will be my go to recipe from now on.

8 comments:

Katie Clooney said...

I rather eat a good sugar cookie more than make a good sugar cookie. Looks positively delish. Hope your week is as sweet as cookies!

Jan said...

Thanks for posting this! I have the same problems with the recipes I've tried. I'll have to make cookies now!

Linda said...

Yes, yes, YES!! Thank you so much! I'm printing this out and will make them with the quads next month! Thank you!

Arlene Grimm said...

Well ladies I do think all the BUTTA in these cookies make them taste so delicious as they do not have a lot of sugar in them. I am so excited to make some decorated cookies for Valentines Day.

Gina said...

Cookies for breakfast! The breakfast of champions! &hearts:

Terri D said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe! It's nice to know how good it is!

Mari said...

You are such a good friend to test these out for us! :)
They look good - thanks!

Mildred said...

Thank you and Katy for sharing this recipe. I love sugar cookies with a cup of coffee.