Followers

Thursday, February 23, 2017

Lenten Thoughts

As Lent approaches I have been thinking of ways to make this time in the liturgical year most effective in my life. Not all Protestants embrace Lent but I have found that some discipline and self sacrifice has been meaningful for me in my Christian Walk.

I have decided to give up Bread for Lent this year. I am one of those people who truly could eat bread as my only food. I love it that much!! So it will take some real effort on my part to decline it for 40 days.  And while giving up one thing, I am going to also do something positive. I will write out a note or card each day and mail them to friends and family to encourage them.  One of my Catholic cousins told me that their priest asked them to not only give up something put to use the Lenten Season to make a difference in some way. The choice was up to them as to how to put this in practice.  My cousin and his wife made the decision to attend early Mass and pray for others each day of Lent.  Now they live in the Chicago area so getting up in the extreme cold and getting to church at 6 am every morning took a lot of self discipline as well.  I find it very interesting how God speaks to all His children in different ways. I do think all these things build our spiritual muscles. I don't know about you but I need this...i can get pretty flabby.

I saw this cute photo on FB...

I could also use some discipline in my craft room as well.  Right now on one of my cross stitch FB groups, some ladies are Stitching from Stash this year.  They can only purchase something when they have completed a project that has been in progress.  Because I do stick to a budget in my crafting, I do not tend to have a big stash of fabric or floss but those patterns call my name.

Off to have lunch with the Besties at Panera today.( Gotta get that bread while I can!!) Grandpa is babysitting Elliott. I hope those boys behave while I am gone!!

8 comments:

Sandy said...

Your ideas for Lent sound perfect to me. Giving up bread is hard, but I have a feeling you will be surprised at how much better it will be for you health wise. I found last year that not just giving up something, but doing something was very meaningful to me.
I have been plugging away at the books of the Bible piece. I was so trying to complete it before February ended, but I don't think I am going to make it. :(

Mildred said...

I hope you and the ladies have a wonderful time of fellowship. I know the "boys" will be just fine! How very kind of you to commit to sending notes of encouragement to others.
Blessings,
Mildred

Cranberry Morning said...

Good thoughts on Lent! I will start a Lenten devotional by N.T. Wright. I don't know why so many churches did away with Lent, but it is an important season in the church year. After all, the Resurrection is THE pivotal point of Christianity, so preparing our hearts for Easter is always a good idea. Loved that poster about the crafter's stash. LOL

Linda said...

Our Methodist church observes Lent. It does cause us to pause and reflect...

Arlene Grimm said...

Sandy, I am putting together a box of 40 cards to keep me on track. The bread is going to be a real test for me. I had some at Panera today to savor. Judy, I will be doing Bishop Robert Barron's Lenten devotions again this year. Introspection is not a character trait of most Christians of this era. Linda, I was first exposed to liturgy in the Methodist Church we belonged to in our early years of marriage. I just love the symbolism.

Katie Clooney said...

Great ideas. For a minute, I thought today was the first day of Lent. I try to go to Mass in the am and give up eating between meals but that will never happen. Hope you had a great day with your buds.

Gina said...

Arlene, I don't eat as much bread as I used to. I do like it though - especially sourdough bread. Love the idea of sending cards and letters for Lent. I might borrow that idea if you don't mind. {{HUGS}}

Arlene Grimm said...

Katie, sorry I confused you...I saw this on Scott Hahn's Facebook page as a reminder and I had to share it. Eating between meals...hummm, maybe next year. That would be a real struggle for me. I am a snacker. Gina, please feel free to borrow my idea. I am going to get a pretty box and put 40 cards in in it along with stamps and put it on the kitchen counter by my office station. I want to keep focused and not give up on this one.