Followers

Wednesday, February 22, 2017

The Rolling Store

My cousin came across this old picture of her mama that was in our hometown newspaper many years ago.

My Aunt Joyce was trading eggs for groceries at The Rolling Store in 1952. When I was a little girl, I remember how excited I would get when The Rolling Store stopped at my grandparents house.  It was a big truck, the back enclosed and filled with all sorts of wonderful things.  Of course all I can remember is the candy!! Grandmother let me get a package of those miniature soda bottles filled with some kind of sweet liquid. You drank the liquid and they you could eat the bottle. Does anyone else remember this candy?  I do remember the man would lower down steps and you climbed up inside the truck. As a small child, it seemed quite the endeavor but it was worth it for a treat.

Someone commented on Facebook that The Rolling Store became the Red Food Stores once Rolling Stores were no longer necessary. The Rolling Store serviced country families that did not have the means to get to the grocery store on a regular basis and you could barter for your goods if you chose to do so. Cash was gladly accepted as well.  It is another way of country life that is now just a memory.

And on the home front.. Little Boys are noisy and messy. How did I forget that? Elliott had a good night's sleep and was up at the crack of dawn which is a good thing since we have to take Kendall and Landon to school this morning.  I am hoping the dreary wet weather leaves soon so we can go to the park and get rid of some energy. No not mine, my energy is already on the wane!!

10 comments:

Karen said...

Yes, I remember those little tiny bottles. We lived in town but I do remember a bakery truck that came by. Mother didn't buy from it, but the elderly sisters across the street did, so I would 'drop in' to visit them after the truck left. lol Good memories.

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

We never had the rolling store in our town but I DO remember those little soda bottles that had the sweet blue and pink liquid inside...and a waxy bottle that you could chew! What fun they were. I can still remember what they tasted like. Isn't that funny? Hugs!

Katie Clooney said...

I wish there was a rolling store in our town. I takes me 30 minutes to get to the nearest Walmart! Amazon is my new best friend. Have a great week, Arlene!

Mildred said...

I am giggling at sister Karen's comment above. Conveniently dropping in on the elderly sisters AFTER the rolling bakery visit! lol
I also remember a produce man coming by with his truck full of fruit/veggies.

I hope the weather allows you and Elliott an afternoon to run off some of his energy!

Gina said...

I don't think I've had that bottle candy before but I've seen them. I think Cracker Barrel may still carry them,

I wish we had a Rolling Store in my town. It takes a good 20 minutes to get to the market. I do my best to make a weekly list but sometimes I forget something.

I hope your energy picks up! A cup of coffee may be necessary!

Leslie Anne Tarabella said...

My mother and her sisters have told me about the rolling store in Hartselle. Such a simple and nice way to do business. Now, with on-line ordering and having them load it in your car, it's almost a different version!

Mari said...

I never heard of the rolling store, but I do remember the candy soda bottles. We used to find them at the campground store. Fun memories!

Linda said...

No trucks but I remember the bottles!!

Mrs.T said...

Absolutely remember those wax bottles! My parents were not fans of soft drinks of any type, though we were allowed to have them occasionally. So those little candy bottles fell into the same category. As someone commented above, I can still remember what they tasted like.

I seldom bought those little bottles however. Even back then, I preferred chocolate!

Barbara said...

Yes. I remember the wax soda bottles. Hahaha. I also had a friend in Louisiana in the 70s that still had a type of rolling store and traveled to the small out of the way areas around the bayou.