Followers

Wednesday, February 8, 2017

The Stream

It is a warm morning here in NoAla, so let's paddle along in the stream before starting our day.

1. I am reading a good book.

My friend, Susan, shared this one with me. I am about half way through it and I am finding it hard to put down.( Don't you love books like that?) Set during the second World War, it is the story of two women who become friends in strange circumstances.  Give it a try!

2. I am working along on my Smoky Mountain Christmas SAL...stitch a long. A group of us are in a Facebook group dedicated to stitching this piece of needlework.

I stitch on it every weekend. It takes a lot of concentration and two days is my limit on stitching before my eyes cross and my head aches.  It is fun seeing everyone's progress. So far no on has completed it.

3. One of the things I am looking forward to is a visit from my Georgia Baptist Besties at the end of March.  They will be coming to Grimmwood for a fun weekend. We were all great friends in Nursing School and let me tell you, that shared experience bonds you for life. I was looking for a little Welcome gift to have for them when they arrive and Prep Obsessed helped me make up my mind!

Isn't this the cutest Tervis Glass. It says Suck it up Buttercup!!  I am going to have a friend of mine add everyone's initials to the back of the glass.  I will fill it up with some candy and a cute straw!

4. The first weekend in March is Missions Conference at our church.

The flags of the nations are up! Missions conference is a big deal at First Bible Church of Decatur. I look forward to meeting new missionaries and reconnecting with ones I have known for years. Our speaker this year is a professor from Dallas Theological Seminary.

5.Today is early dismissal for Kendall and Landon. By the time I take them to school, come home and do a few chores it is time to pick them up!!  It seems to me that kids have many more Days off and early dismissal than I ever had. Of course I went to school when dinosaurs roamed the earth.

6. Many of you asked if I had seen the series, The Crown. We do not have net flicks so I have not been able to watch this series. Friend, Deborah, assures me it would be right up my alley.  I will be looking for it when it comes out on DVD.  I saw that William and Harry have commissioned a statue of their mom, Diana,   It is nice to know these boys are still thinking of their mother and want her to be recognized.   Being an anglophile, I have enjoyed the show about Henry VIII's six wives that aired after Victoria on our PBS station.  I have always found them fascinating and this show brought new insights. Divorced, Beheaded, Died, Divorced, Beheaded, Lived!  And while we are talking about the English Royalty, I read that Philippa Gregory is doing a new book on Lady Jane Grey.  If you do not know who she is, her family tried to get her on the throne after the death of Henry VIII's only son, Edward. It did not end well for her. She ruled a few days and was beheaded.  The Tudor Court was not a very safe place to live in those times.

Well time to drink some coffee and get busy!! Have a blessed day!

9 comments:

Sandy said...

Those tight stitches will make your eyes go crazy. That has been much the same on the Christmas cardinal piece I am doing. I remember the days of doing those things with no problems and needing no magnifier.
That buttercup cup is so cute. Great idea.
Have fun with Kendall and Landon today.

Cranberry Morning said...

I think you're referring to The Crown on Netflix, and if so, it is definitely worth a subscription to Netflix for that series alone! It is just amazing, and I love it even more than Downton Abbey! The Lucy Worsley presentation of the Six Wives of Henry VIII was so good, wasn't it. I was almost wishing he had had more wives so the series would last longer. LOL. Someone reminded me that there's more Lucy Worsley presentations on YouTube. I'm going to check it out - and the book you are reading! Your stitching is just beautiful. It must be so rewarding to see a picture gradually appear! Have a wonderful day, Arlene.

Arlene Grimm said...

Sandy, i could not stitch at all without my magnifier. I was thinking I really need a back up.lol I can stitch on 14 count aida but I seldom use aida anymore. Judy, you are right...the Queen is the name of it. And thanks for heads up on Lucy Worsley on YOU TUBE. I just loved her presentation!!

Arlene Grimm said...

oops i did it again...the CROWN not the Queen.lol

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I've read a lot of P. Gregory's books and they are amazing. I've cried through some parts though. I'll look for the book you're reading now. Enjoy your day! Hugs!

Carol said...

Thanks for the book recommendation, Arlene! I think we just ordered this title during our book selection meeting at the library yesterday :) We commented on how many book titles seem to have the word "orphan" in them!

Oh, I am loving The Crown--have learned a ton of British history along with being totally entertained by the wonderful acting and beautiful settings and costuming. I hope it comes out on DVD soon so you can watch, too!

Heather said...

I love Philippa Gregory! I have read a number of her books and will be keeping my eye out for that next one! It sounds great!

Mildred said...

What fun to be looking forward to your GA. Baptist friends visiting Grimmwood. I remember when we lived in our dream home in Canton and my jr. college friends visited for a tea party. It had been 25 years since many of us had seen one another and it was a wonderful time.

Love your gift choice too for your friends.

You know I love following along on your cross stitch projects.

Gina said...

Hi Arlene. What fun you will have with your friends! And that little squirrel tumbler is adorable!